Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#271 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,701 Thanks
  • 8,893 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 09:35 PM

My itch has turned into full blown GT Eczema.  Spots all over me

that look like heavily chained AGs.

If you ever have a very strong wind go through your place, we will get to see pics of a GT enema. $h!t everywhere!

#272 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 09:37 PM

I guess I must have a case of Swine flu!  :smilewink:

#273 jimjohnson OFFLINE  

jimjohnson
  • Member No: 49758
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 08:48 PM

I've always been a gear head a kid and so people have always asked me to fix there equipment I must say I enjoy it and makes me feel good to make something broke work again

#274 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 12:31 AM

Can't recall how I became interested in lawn tractors other than needing something to mow lawn with. 1992 I bought a brand new Cub Cadet 1330 LT for grass mowing. Picked the cub because of the hydro lever location, me being in a wheelchair it would be the easiest to operate.

2010 I was by a friend from the old days jaw gabbing and just happened to notice some color out in a old grown over pasture, being curious I asked him what was out there in the field? He told me it was a IH Cub Cadet, didn't know the model even. So I asked the only thing I could think of. IS IT FOR SALE?

"Nope, but you can have it!" He said he had another in the barn, and if I was going to take the one in the pasture I had to take the other also. Days later got both home. The one that was in the barn is a Cub Cadet 125. The other is a 1964 Cub Cadet 100. So I guess that's what started the GT obsession for me, and it's not let up since.

• Gfann and SamMC have said thanks

#275 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10613
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 12:46 AM

The cub cadet 100 started my GTOCD also. I bought a GT out of necessity, do to moving to the country. But I did not know anything, absolutly nothing about small motors and tractors. I didn't want to spend big money on a new rider that id have to pay someone else to fix, so I decided to find an old Tractor that was built goood and simple. Saw the 100 on Criagslist, brought it home for 350. I just took it one problem at a time... asked allot of questions... watched allot of Youtube How-to video's... and I got it figured out. Now I've got 11 GTs setting my driveway. More then half are flip projects. My favorites now are the Early IHCubs and Speedex tractors.

Edited by Gfann, December 05, 2013 - 12:50 AM.

#276 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 01:32 AM

The cub cadet 100 started my GTOCD also. I bought a GT out of necessity, do to moving to the country. But I did not know anything, absolutly nothing about small motors and tractors. I didn't want to spend big money on a new rider that id have to pay someone else to fix, so I decided to find an old Tractor that was built goood and simple. Saw the 100 on Criagslist, brought it home for 350. I just took it one problem at a time... asked allot of questions... watched allot of Youtube How-to video's... and I got it figured out. Now I've got 11 GTs setting my driveway. More then half are flip projects. My favorites now are the Early IHCubs and Speedex tractors.

They are a great tractor. My wife loves the Original, and the sound of that little Kohler is music to my ears.

#277 mikle3005 OFFLINE  

mikle3005
  • Member No: 51135
  • 13 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 02:24 PM

my father had a bolens when I was younger, I can remember riding on it with him a long time ago. I have picked up a couple over the last few years. but am still trying to get my hands on one just like he used to have.

• Gfann said thank you

#278 mikle3005 OFFLINE  

mikle3005
  • Member No: 51135
  • 13 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 02:27 PM

if I ever find it, ill be sure to share it on here!

• Gfann said thank you

#279 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 03:35 PM

my father had a bolens when I was younger, I can remember riding on it with him a long time ago. I have picked up a couple over the last few years. but am still trying to get my hands on one just like he used to have.

My grandfather had a Speedex S14 but from the pictures it appears to be an early one that was made in part from a D4 Speedex. I've been looking for one of them for awhile now. I saw a speedex just like it on Ebay not long ago but didnt win it. It would have been a LONG drive so I wasnt totally unhappy about losing out but still... Just gotta keep looking, I guess.
  • SamMC said thank you

#280 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • Member No: 51516
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Folks,

I began with a need for a lawn mower in 1977 or 78 . Our first tractor was a pull start 8hp Wizzard.  The aluminum rear end kept breaking so a couple years later I purchased a used Cub 106 with mowing deck, wheel weights and a snow plow. That tractor is still in the family. Compared to the lower cost Wizard the Cub was a great up grade. So we now have several Cubs in the family.  The Cubs have been work horses around the yard. Hauling wood and mowing lawn. Lately folks Like Zippy1 have been keeping me involved and active with lots of encouragement. I was talking with Zippy! tonight and he suggested I check out the GT Talk site. I had heard of this forum from some one at the Sagertown PA tractor show this year. Can't remember who that was? I was showing a red 71 Cub Cadet 147 with a train of restored implements. Have met a lot of great folks playing with these tractors.

Regards,

Chris

• KennyP, SamMC and zippy1 have said thanks

#281 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 08:48 PM

1977 was when I was born! :)
But, I bought my first tractor for the same reason ended up with a cub 100, which I love. It should last a long time. I remember when I bought it. I was thinking well if I take care of it this could be last tractor I buy. Well I can say it was the tractor I NEEDED to buy but, Ive bought tractors sense then, more so then I have bought throughout my life, ever. Now I have 11 all together of varying brands. I seem to gravitate towards Cub Cadet internationals and early Speedex.
  • SamMC said thank you

#282 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 12:05 AM

To be honest one of the main things that started to get me interested in gt's was watching Tommartyn's videos on YouTube. After seeing what him and his friends could do on old Bolens tractors I decided to find one for myself and I ended up collecting gt's

#283 Hammer OFFLINE  

Hammer

• Member No: 7332
  • 113 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 06:13 AM

I got tired of junk MTD mowers. I had never even looked at GT mowers before, seen an add in CL that said they had a few JD mowers. Met up with him and he had a 316 in nice shape and a 318 with 3 pt in nice shape. Done the deal on the 318 and happy so far. 

#284 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

Hammerdown
  • Member No: 46960
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 08:21 AM

I got tired of junk MTD mowers. I had never even looked at GT mowers before, seen an add in CL that said they had a few JD mowers. Met up with him and he had a 316 in nice shape and a 318 with 3 pt in nice shape. Done the deal on the 318 and happy so far. 

Hello

I can Relate... I have bought and sold MTD as well as Murray mower's in the past. They have their Place I Guess,.... Just not in my Garage... :D  Hammerdown

• Hammer said thank you

#285 Dicky OFFLINE  

Dicky
  • Member No: 51734
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 09:19 PM

I grew up on a farm I remember driving hourses on the hay loader with my father.Dad had hourses and a Case VAC. I bought my first in early 70s when I worked for John Deere. That was the 200 later I bought  and resold a Cub 100 it was a mid 60s model than last fall I bought a John Deere STX 38 as a project. I've done lawn mower repair as a side line.I try to spend with my harleys to.

• jd.rasentrac said thank you