Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#241 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,117 Thanks
  • 5,663 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 11:34 PM

My Dad's love for Wheel Horses hooked me years ago.

• Craig. and Huskyfan have said thanks

#242 art_2310 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 27419
  • 36 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted February 14, 2013 - 10:45 PM

got married, bought a house with a big yard, didn't want to mow it with a push mower. would have took hours. bought an old murray riding mower. started browsing youtube one night and saw guys running plows with their little tractors. i was hooked!! deployed to afghanistan and browsed more videos and websites. came home and bought a jd x300. now i want an old cub or sears suburban!!! 

• Craig. and Huskyfan have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,738 Thanks
  • 2,718 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 12:50 AM

I retired a couple of years ago  and i was looking for another hobby , my friend down the street called me to come down to his garage for a cold one ,and there it was a fully restored simplex model 19  early 70's its red paint and contrasting yellow put it over the top . Well that was it, a few days later  i was on my way to Connecticut to buy my first G.T. a 1958 wheelhorse RJ. Since then I've acquired six more of various makes I'm afraid I've become  that guy.

• MH81, Craig. and Huskyfan have said thanks

#244 SamMC OFFLINE  

• Member No: 30776
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 06:38 PM

I came to the garden tractor because of the garden, and the big oak tree. I have always been a gardener and have usually done everything by Sam-power. Thought that the only real options were full sized tractors or lawnmowers. Then I parked my Cub sltx1054 too close to the oak tree, and cut the tree down on top of the lawnmower. Flat lawn tractor. Too poor to buy a brand new mower. Got on Craig's List. Found a guy who refurbed old green tractors. Got to looking at the pictures of something called a John Deere 112. Wow. Serious iron. A light went off. Of course by the time I realized that I wanted the Deere, it was long gone. I am now the proud owner of a Speedex 1630. A wonderful machine.

• MH81, Craig. and Huskyfan have said thanks

#245 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

• Member No: 20120
  • 1,842 Thanks
  • 1,064 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 04:46 PM

I may have been born on a mountain, but my raising was on a prairie farm. My step dad ran a 1/2 section farm, and my grandfather retired to a 1/4 section hobby farm.

I got to play with all kinds of equipment. I was in heaven then. Now i'm nearly 50,living in the middle of the city, and retiring to my youth as much as I can..

I used to run a Case 444 with a blower, deck, and tiller. I remember doing wheelies with the deck off and the tiller on, while i was supposed to be tilling a 2 acre garden.

I remember doing full on powerslides with the deck on while i Was supposed to be mowing. I also remember mom and me combining while dad was at work, when I was 12, and driving loads of grain to the elevators 10 miles down the road when I was 14.

I grew up on tractors, and on farms and have always loved equipment.

This is how I get to play.

Now I just want to play with equipment I can afford, and have space to store.

• MH81, Craig., KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#246 Craig. OFFLINE  

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 872 Thanks
  • 756 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 05:08 PM

I got to say my itch started when my uncle (Olcowhand) started restoring them down on the farm. But I got to say it was an awful feeling to have, when you cant do anything about satisfying that itch. I lived in a home with no yard for many years, no place for a garden, and most of all no good argument at all, to convince the wife I need to get a garden tractor. But I always warned Daniel that the minute I get a yard big enough to demand a tractor that he was going to restore one for me, and he said "ok no problem". What I didn't no till years later, was he never thought I was serious, till he received my first check to start restoring it. So in the spring of 2008, I went to Ky. and picked up my newly restored MF 1650.

MF 1650 Restoration

I also have to tell GTT once he was done restoring he didn't want to see it go. All you have to do is look at his museum of garden tractors and you quickly figure out he doesn't sell his restored garden tractors. Although, the last visit, he informed me he needed to sell a couple of tractors, my first thought was YA RIGHT lol I'll believe it when I see it lol. I still have that itch and if I new he was serious about selling I would buy another one from him. Get rid of my Craftsman and add another MF. Daniel if you read this I want the smaller MF12 the one with the mower deck on it. Just Don't tell Sue what I'm thinking, K, she thinks I have two to many tractors as it is. Well that's it for my ITCH and how it got started. Thanks for asking.

• olcowhand, MH81, IamSherwood and 5 others have said thanks

#247 SamMC OFFLINE  

• Member No: 30776
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 06:51 PM

That is one beautiful Massey!
  • Craig. said thank you

#248 Huskyfan OFFLINE  

• Member No: 13885
  • 6 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 10:52 AM

1054-2.jpg Me and my love.jpg

Congratulations Huskyfan. We tend to find more and more uses for the tractors after we get them too. My father in law gave my wife a garden tractor, that he built for her, fifty years ago when she was 10. She easily tolerates my hobby now. I picked up a dead tractor last spring and fixed it up for her to use around the yard. If your wife likes to work in the garden, a small lawn tractor with a cart may win her over. Don't forget that we love pictures. Good Luck

I have used mine as a hauler for Trailers, Caravans and piles of scrap. As soon as I get a plough She can get Mud under Her nails.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#249 crokit OFFLINE  

• Member No: 31952
  • 11 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 07:50 PM

My wife and I recently moved out of the city to a home with 20 acres, mix of fields and woods.  A john deere f 525 zero turn and a '79 Craftsman 11 horse varidrive came with it.  The Sears is starting to show it's age and had planned on saving to buy a compact, when I stumbbled across the MF 10.  Don't know why, but was hooked the instant I saw it.  I realize it can't do what a compact would do,  but most of what I need here can be accomplished by just pulling a cart/wagon, and this mf 10 seems up to it.

Edited by crokit, April 15, 2013 - 05:36 PM.

• Craig. and boyscout862 have said thanks

#250 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 33704
  • 171 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 08:39 PM

First was my Ertle farm tractors/toys then, I use always saw my Dad  mow the lawn with his all ORIGINAL 1965 John Deere 110 (Hydrolic lift) and finally my old friend had a few Cubs and I wanted a few of my own!

• boyscout862 and Huskyfan have said thanks

#251 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Ah, the age old question of "How did it start?" Well, for me its always been with me, along with my love for trains. I must have been 4 at the time, and my family bought a john deere peddle tractor for me. It was just the tractor and a little trailer, but I loved the crap outta it. From that point I was trying to figure out how to hook my dads dethatcher to the rear of it and see if my little legs could pull it around. It wasnt long before my dad had me on his MTD yard machine mowing the one acre front yard. I did that for a few years all the while going over to my grandfather's hobby farm and following him around while he did "Stuff". One such piece of stuff was an old IH 350 U with a loader. He hated the thing, but for some odd reason I couldnt get enough of the thing. Well, time went by and he sold the old tractor but he still had a craftsman GT6K that he used to mow his yard. It loved to throw belts and screw everything up, it wasnt long before he got tired of messing with it and bought my grandmother a new John Deere G110 and gave the craftsman to me. From then on I have been collecting old GTs, mostly sears suburbans. Now I have the 1968 super 12 with its 48in deck, 42in scissor lift deck (donated by my now defunct ST16), a 3pt hitch and a gannon earthcavator. My big boy though is a 1941 Farmall H that I got running last year just in time for the county pull.

I did all this and now I just turned 17 last wednesday. Im proud of myself lol

• Craig., boyscout862, Newpaws493 and 1 other said thanks

#252 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,519 Thanks
  • 2,551 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 07:29 PM

Was raised in the country and we always had something with a motor on it, mini bike, MC, mower, walkbehind go kart etc.. Having been raised that way I have always been into small and big engines. My dad had a HVAC business in downstate MI.. For a time in the early to mid 70s we (yes I worked for him) sold Homelite lawn and garden equipment. That is when I got the bug for GTs. Dad bought the Homelite T-16H I have now in 1972. Currently have three of them, a 1976 sear custom 10 Xl, 1972 Jacobsen Super Chief Hydro. Sears custom 8E, sears 8 LT, just gave away a Simplicity 7014 to my BIL. Have a 1942 Allis Chalmers WC on rear steel front rubber, 1947 Allis Chalmer WC and a 1952 Allis Chalmers WD. So I have the bug pretty bad. Thanks. Roger.

#253 maggiewaggie OFFLINE  

• Member No: 33136
  • 34 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 07:40 PM

We got really tired of hiring someone to plow a big garden. When the Farm King came available we snapped it up, bought a plow and the rest is history. Well we did get a snow blade too. We have a mower deck but too big for our yard full of trees so that never got used (by us).

#254 qtrhrs86 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 33913
  • 10 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 03:35 PM

Easy, my dad and younger brother. Their passion for cub cadets is unreal, and its rubbed off on me. Plus its amazing all of the things that a garden tractor can be used for besides mowing.

#255 Bruce S. OFFLINE  

Bruce S.
  • Member No: 34892
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 04:42 PM

My Dad worked at a international dealer in 1963 . When we would go to see him at work I would go up to the show room and play on the new cub cadets . Ive wanted one ever sence . And I do own one of the cubs that I played on in 63 . The parts man bought it new and sold it to me about 12 years ago . I think I'm up to 6 cubs now but whos counting .