Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#226 Bolensnewbie OFFLINE  

• Member No: 22486
  • 4 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:01 PM

My brother-in-law and I were looking through his dad's shop and saw all of these projects that he had started but never finished.  We decided that we would pick one and work on it and then maybe get several of them completed.  This got my father-in-law interested in doing some of these projects again as well.  We picked the Bolens tractor to work on first and I have found a lot of information and enthusiastic people that love their old garden tractors.  I will love to see the look on my father-in-law's face once we get it going again.  He has been in bad health and unable to finish some of these projects himself and I really enjoy having a project to work on.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#227 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,501 Thanks
  • 7,367 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 05:30 PM

Bolensnewbie welcome to GTT. Good luck with the project and your father in law. When you get one going and use it for a chore, its like being a kid again. It may be just what he needs. 

#228 ggsteve OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 08:51 PM

What interested me in tractors?  Well, I used to pass a Toro Wheelhorse 212-5 for sale about a block down the street everyday.  I finally stopped and talked to the guy, and being a typical tractor guy he was very nice.  The tractor had a deck, bagger and snowblower in the package.  It was leaf season and after one afternoon with the deck and bagger and all of my leaf cleanup done I was hooked.  Here is a picture my daughter took out of her bedroom window the first winter with the Toro.  

Think about the effort it took you to shovel off your deck, steps or porch today.  When you really comprehend the amount of hard work our little iron friends save us, how can you not grow fond of them?

Edited by ggsteve, December 30, 2012 - 08:52 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#229 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,482 Thanks
  • 7,625 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 11:40 AM

Still not sure what these snow blower things you guys talk about are for. I heard snow was cold why do you want to blow on it?

• HDWildBill, boyscout862, Chucknbob and 1 other said thanks

#230 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,501 Thanks
  • 7,367 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 12:39 PM

Still not sure what these snow blower things you guys talk about are for. I heard snow was cold why do you want to blow on it?

The blowers work better than clicking your heels and saying " I wish this stuff was in Kansas".

#231 MH81 ONLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,681 Thanks
  • 28,328 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 12:40 PM

The blowers work better than clicking your heels and saying " I wish this stuff was in Kansas".
Or, better yet, in Gaston County, North Carolina...
  • WHdbJD and boyscout862 have said thanks

#232 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 08:46 PM

How i got started? Well the tractor that started it all was my simplicity 725. It had a blown head gasket. My uncle gave it to me. He said scrap it. I kept it and got it running. This winter i just picked up a sickle mower for it. Ill post pictures as soon as i can. Then i was at a show and found a bolens 600. Somthing bout it just drew me to it. And then it was all down hill from there. Now i have somwere around 20 or so.

#233 larryd OFFLINE  

• Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 01:40 PM

I grew up around farms and heavy equipment. I've worked on farms and have driven a lot of different equipment. My first experience was on a M Farmall and 8N Ford .Found out in later years that a 4 wheel versatile with big floaters can get very stuck. Took a Gleanern and a John Deere combine both on tracks to pull it out .

I just like power , no matter tractor , big trucks , or big block cars . Now lawn and garden tractors draw my attention and the things they can do and the way they look. I just can't afford to do much with them anymore.

But still love them all.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,416 Thanks
  • 4,883 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 12:51 PM

I inherited a '68 Sears SS12 with 3pt, plow, discs, trailer and wheel weights from my wife's uncle quite a few years back, it sat at my dad's house under an old horse lean two for about 5 yrs until Fall of 2010 when yanked it out. I found the MTF forum searching for info, next thing I know that summer I'm buying a '77 sears 16/6 and now I'm up to 8 tractors. Guess I'm hooked. I too have always been into 60's-70's muscle cars, 4x4 trucks, etc, I have found I can get enjoyment from these tractors for soooo much cheaper.

#235 firenems335 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2521
  • 46 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 11:37 PM

Well my itch started as wanting a winter project a few years ago, I was looking for an old pickup but came across this old Massey on craigslist for 75$. I figured what the heck i might as well try this. I had no knowledge at all of GT's or realized how prized they are to many, frankly i didnt even know some of them existed. Well i began my project and became incredibly addicted to learning so much about my little tractor that it has become my most prized GT of all of them, Now i have a serious addiction and have aquired ten since the first one. I have restored 4 GT's and working on my fifth and cant wait to start working on my next one. I admit its my obsession, And craigslist is another obsession i might ad when it comes to looking for these toys!

#236 dcon12 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 24440
  • 33 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 10:25 PM

I have farmed or driven trucks all of my life. I have been looking for a Sears Suburban every since I worked on one for a friend years ago. I came across one that I finally won on ebay. Now my gardening is a lot easier. Don

#237 vince_o OFFLINE  

• Member No: 25799
  • 15 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 07:15 AM

For me it started about 8 to 10 yrs ago when my eng in my mower went south. At the time I was driving for the local Cat dealer and there was a guy in the shop that hussled mowers. I told him I was looking for a mower. A few weeks lather he said he had something out of the late 60 early 70s and one for parts. I wasnt thrilled about something this old, almost as on=ld as me. I went to his house looked at it and wasnt impressed. Then he said watch this. He pulled it up to an oak tree, put it in 3rd gear about half throtal and dumped the clutch. It sat and spun dirt and gravel out from under the wheels. 

I came home with a 106 and a 147 cub cadet. Ive been hooked ever since. Ive owned over 100 of them, not all at the same time, and turned a hobby into a job. Ive worked for a cub dealer on and off for the last 4 yrs. In Feb I will start work with the local bota dealer. 

#238 nade-em OFFLINE  

• Member No: 25213
  • 202 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 06:11 PM

Started for when my brother gave me his 1984 JD 116H. The more i learned about it and what attachments i could get for it the  more i was interested.Pretty cool it's only a 2 year run for the hydros, pretty bad when all the parts and such are hard to find. So when i went looking for a front blade and found one for a really good price , i was happy. This JD hasn't been stopped yet by snow or dirt or grass. I also have a 1998 Craftsman LT 1000 that has been flawless in function and form. I enjoy ( so far :D ) working on them and making them look better.

#239 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,594 Thanks
  • 1,719 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 02:50 PM

I think my "itch" to collect garden tractors started with an "itch" to sew. We were at a garage sale and I spotted a1968 John Deere 112 in the corner. Yup it was for sale. The wife was looking for a second sewing machine and said she would buy the Deere if i bought the sewing machine. Then for her birthday i bought her a 1948 farmall cub, and she bought me a quilting machine for my birthday. For christmas I bought her an Allis Chalmers Big 10 and she bought me a serger (whatever that is.). If you see where this is going I should be an accomplished seamstress by now. As long as she keeps filling up the workshop I'll keep filling up the sewing room.

Here's my itch starter.  Garage sale find for $125.00   I'm up to 14 now and the wife has another new quilting machine.    Rick

Attached Thumbnails

• 029.JPG
  • 054.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

• Member No: 8437
  • 11 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 10:38 AM

Edited by DAVESTOYS, February 12, 2013 - 10:42 AM.