Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#211 WHdbJD OFFLINE  

WHdbJD

• Member No: 8367
  • 584 Thanks
  • 456 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 09:35 PM

Mom sold the home place and moved to an assisted living home. I found Dads old David Bradley walk behind sitting in the corner of the barn. He had bought it new in 1951. It had been sitting neglected and forgotten for decades in the dirt.
I hauled it home and took inventory....mostly there, rotten tires, no engine. The engine had been taken off and used for a go cart when I was a kid!
I went to some tractor swap meets and found a correct replacement engine and made a good deal on some knobby tires.
Tinker a bit , scrape and sand, scrape and sand , then paint...and tinker some more.
At last it was done.
I took it to the the apartment where Mom was living and drove it around the building, the look on her face was priceless.

And so it began...I needed another project, then another....

It 's been a while since i posted this, but here is a photo of Dads db after I fixed it up.
sorry, dont know how to enlarge it.

Posted Image

Edited by WHdbJD, September 11, 2012 - 09:02 PM.

#212 kthack657 OFFLINE  

kthack657
  • Member No: 10025
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted September 12, 2012 - 06:58 PM

My husband was interested in them, I wasnt mych for the hobby at first, but then he put me on one, and the rest is history. I have since purchased 3 more and co one another. It is amazing how much of a bug bites you. On top of the collecting, I have gotten to meet some wonderful people and look forward to the camping trips.

#213 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted September 25, 2012 - 04:34 PM

What started my obsession? Well a couple of things:

My father was a mechanic and a jack of all trades. He had a bush hog D4-7 which leveled the land and helped build the home I grew up in. I have a lot of memories with that tractor.

He also had roughly 5 other different tractors. One he put a chrysler lebaron steering rack into it and got it to steer.

He has Parkinsons Disease and can't work on things anymore.

Now that I am up north in RI again, I have the land and the time to work on these fun garden tractors.
  • KennyP and Huskyfan have said thanks

#214 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 10:03 PM

What started you tractor addiction ?
lets hear you story
hello i am Tyler and when i was 11 or so i was given a master-craft / mtd lawn mower that i tinkered with i then traded up to a john deere then i got my bolens 1254 then a 750 then my 1456 (now my favorite tractor ) also picks would be awesome now i have five (sold 2) had 7

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0532 b.JPG
  • IMG_0620.JPG
  • IMG_0195.JPG
  • IMG_0630.JPG
  • IMG_0486.JPG

• Huskyfan said thank you

#215 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 10:18 PM

What started you tractor addiction ?
lets hear you story
hello i am Tyler and when i was 11 or so i was given a master-craft / mtd lawn mower that i tinkered with i then traded up to a john deere then i got my bolens 1254 then a 750 then my 1456 (now my favorite tractor ) also picks would be awesome now i have five (sold 2) had 7

Tyler, I would like to move this to the thread we already have going on this. I hope you understand.

#216 Bolens G8 Mower Man 15 OFFLINE  

Bolens G8 Mower Man 15
  • Member No: 13459
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 20, 2012 - 07:47 PM

The way I grew up with garden tractors is I thought they lasted a long time and they were small but tough enough to pull most things and they were small and compact. Anyway I have a cub cadet ride on mower that runs great, and a Bolens g8 ride on mower, and also a husqvarna ride on mower with a catcher behind and a cox compact tractor. So yeah that's how I grew up with garden tractors and they are a lot of fun to mess around with.

#217 carbidegrinder OFFLINE  

carbidegrinder
  • Member No: 14126
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted November 01, 2012 - 11:28 PM

What got me started was a cook at the elementary school when I was in second grade,1987, She came up to me and said "do you like to work" I said I guess so. She had obviously already talked to my parents. So I started doing yard work and fire wood. When I got a little older I got to mow the lawn. With what I belive to be an early 80s John Deere 400 hydrostatic series with all the bells and whistles, and still mows lawns to this day. Thats what got me started. Thank you Sandra.
Chris

#218 Huskyfan OFFLINE  

Huskyfan
  • Member No: 13885
  • 6 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 03:26 PM

Got A quarter acre of land and so....

Was allowed to buy one... Finaly

Edited by Huskyfan, November 25, 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#219 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 06:10 PM

Congratulations Huskyfan. We tend to find more and more uses for the tractors after we get them too. My father in law gave my wife a garden tractor, that he built for her, fifty years ago when she was 10. She easily tolerates my hobby now. I picked up a dead tractor last spring and fixed it up for her to use around the yard. If your wife likes to work in the garden, a small lawn tractor with a cart may win her over. Don't forget that we love pictures. Good Luck

#220 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,767 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 06:22 PM

Not sure how old I was but it was back sometime in the late 70s early 80s my granddad let me mow his yard with his Massey Ferguson Model 12 (I think). It had the hydro drive and was a real hoot to drive around for a little guy. I was still mowing our yard with a push mower. After Gran passed on and my grandmother moved into an apartment we got the old MF and I finally got to sit down to mow the yard. I did wreck it once. Hit a wet patch of grass in the shade and skidded into a tree. Thought my dad was going to kill me. Ran it out of oil once. Forgot to check it before I mowed and it locked up. After it cooled my dad put a socket on his big D handled drill and got it freed up and it mowed for several more years. I wrecked it again when I was up on a hill emptying the cart full of hay down the embankment and the drive belt broke. Fortunately it was still pointed nose down and I was able to steer it into the softest pile of crap I could find. NO damage other than to my pride. After many years of faithful service the transmission finally died when I was in high school. My dad bought some kind of tractor - I have no idea what kind. I do remember its first job was to pull the Massey up the hill. It sat in the yard for a couple more years until the mower guy bought it for parts.

I would love to have another one.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#221 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,568 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 09:25 PM

Dad always had one when I was just a lad. He still has the same tractor yet, think it might be a '74 or '75 S-14 Ariens. I liked it that good I picked up a Ariens S-16. Seems like I always need to something to it, but the seat time is great.

#222 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 10:36 AM

I guess I just like this stuff and like tinkering.I love power. I like to build things such as total rebuild of allis 917H. I built a semi tear drop camper, a 4 wheel bicycle, I built 2 20" gas powered HD. chopper bicycles A yard cart for my allis and one foor my 314. I'll try to get some pictures together later.

larryd

#223 dan the tractor man OFFLINE  

dan the tractor man

• Member No: 2614
  • 8 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 01:10 PM

Good morning all, I discovered this site awhile ago but wasn't able to spend much time.  The last couple weeks I've been checking it out more and I have to say I very much enjoy GTtalk!  Like many of you I grew up farming, so my "itch" began when I was a toddler (mom tells me that my first word was "tractor"). 

As a young teen I found a rear engine Montgomery Wards that was missing the mower deck.  I spent many an enjoyable hour tinkering and riding it around.  Eventully a deck was found and from then on it was relegated to lawn mowing duties.

Fast forward about 25 years.  My son and I discovered a local garden tractor pulling club and decided to get involved.  His tractor is a 1969 Sears (orange) running a 12 HP Kohler, mine is a Massey 1200 with a 18 HP Kohler v-twin.  We also have a hand full of other tractors that we let other older kids pull with.  Although my son is now in his twenties, we still enjoy tractor pulling.

I also have a dozen or so antique tractors that I hope to restore some day.

Thanks, Dan

#224 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted December 26, 2012 - 01:21 PM

Welcome to GTTalk Dan.  Many years ago I spent a week up in your neck of the woods.  If memory serves me correctly it was a campground to the east or southeast.  It may have been a state park but I do remember walking over and looking down on a lake that had a bunch of Waleye in it.  As I remember it was very beautiful up that way.  

They often talk about Minot during the weather forecast and the temp.  It get way to cold for this old body.  We are glad you decided to join our little community.

#225 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 09:43 AM

Dan, Welcome to GTT. We are glad to have you. I'm particularly happy that you share your tractors with young people. Its a great hobby and learning experience for them. We would like to hear more and include pictures.