Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#196 rustbarn OFFLINE  

rustbarn
  • Member No: 10126
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 12:05 AM

i have been around farming and tractors most of my life...1 st tractor i ever drove was a case 970 and i loved it....i think i was about 9 or so.....but what really got me into collecting was a 1948 david bradley...i had never seen one....thought it was neat looking.... got it home and wanted more...now i have 5 of them and soon to be 6......then i went to a tractor show and seen a narrow front RF 110....and i said wow thats really cool....i want one.....so out in the barn sets 2 RF110's (2) 140's a 265,and my mower the 485....i also now a collection of planter for db push types pull types and a jd 290 and a 490....it all needs restored other than the 265 and 485....but finding people with the same intrests as me and people who will help answer question i have along the way i think its time to start turning my RUST BARN into something i can take out and show....

#197 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 15, 2012 - 10:03 AM

what got me started on my itch for garden tractors... well for a background, I love all old iron, whether it is tools, cars/trucks, etc. So recently I entered into a contract on a house that has a decent size lot. Big enough that I'll need a healthy mower, of course I want something that I can pull a small plow and disc set. about that time a guy shows up to mow the empty lot across from my current house and he has a JD 4xx diesel. after doing some research and price comparisons I decided to pick up a Kubota B5100E. I like the look of the mini tractor style, the fact that it is diesel, it has 3pt hitch with 2spd PTO, cutting brakes, dif lock. Plus it came with a blade, new finish mower (plus the original MMM) and a single bottom plow.... Now it just needs some ag tires!

Attached File  Kubota.bmp   478.18KB   33 downloads

#198 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • Member No: 10128
  • 177 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted June 22, 2012 - 02:03 PM

I love to have a project and i love the way the old tractors were constructed. My Panzer is built like a tank and should last another 50yrs when i'm done restoring it.

Sent from my cell.

#199 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 10:40 PM

What infected me with the GT bug? In 1956 I got my driver's license and bought a dealer re-built like new Gravely L with a new 30" rotary deck. Then later on I bought another for parts, then another for the snowblower and sold the tractor. In later years I got a free one w/rotary mower which I rebuilt with "X" blades for better mowing. I called them "Gee" and "Haw" for where they sat on my Dodge W300 flatbed. I was totally afflicted with tractorism until I had to sell off both along with my "Old Life".

Cut to "New Life" in '06... and in '04 Wifey sez "Why don't we go down the street and look at JD's?" She still gets big SMOOCHIES for that one! New GX335 and I'm still lovin' the 4 season symptoms of the disease! It's so bad that now that I've been getting symptoms of "SCUT-osis". That's my story, please don't try to cure me!
  • Bolens 1000, MH81 and middleageddeere have said thanks

#200 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 03, 2012 - 11:17 PM

Harold, no curing here. Nor judging. Only support for the symptoms and advice that you need one more...
  • MountainMichael said thank you

#201 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted July 16, 2012 - 01:18 PM

for me it would be when i was like 5 or a lil younger at my great grandpas cottage he had an orignal cub the was yellow and orange with a dirt blade used for putting the boats in and out of the lake and the thing went through the flood of '72, he also had a walk behind gravley with a sulkie and a few attachment and a g12 bolens im guessing that was full hydro that he mowed the lawn with and plow his driveway at home in the winter. i went through some photo albums at my moms and there pics of me and great grandpa on the cub driving around the yard at the lake. then i saw some pics in some albums at my grandmas house(mine now) of me with papa on some 812 or 816 style gravleys(he did some work on the side at a friends house) so my main goal has been to own an 816 gravley and an orignal cub.

Edited by backwoods, July 16, 2012 - 01:21 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#202 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted July 24, 2012 - 12:34 AM

Well I was looking at some old pics and found this pic. I suppose you could say I got hooked about 25 years ago. Dads old monkey wards wb was kinda the go-kart for me and my bro back then. We spent many hours toolin up and down the driveway. The only bad thing was NO BRAKES so you had to use your head a little when stopin. Also cut grass with an old AC B-110 for many years. I've always liked old iron, trying to get my boy into older things (but its hard to do with video games and such) so he knows where he comes from sota speak. That computers used to be on top of your shoulders, not in front of you! I guess I'm just fasanated by old things thus being the reason I'm into old GTs. I'll have to dig that old wards wb one of these days and see if my bro will pose for a modern pic of us on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Boys Playing_4.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#203 Ralphst16 OFFLINE  

Ralphst16
  • Member No: 10653
  • 7 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 11:00 PM

A buddy of mine had a 1974 Allis Chalmers 410 he was gonna bring to the scrap yard. I thought It was cool so I took it home. I've been hooked ever since...

#204 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 12:07 AM

I've been a tractor nut all my life I suppose. I remember Dad mowing with his Gravely L and pulling us kids behind the sulky. I was fascinated that he could cause it to move using just his hands, not haveing to use his feet like in the car. I also remember he would plow the garden with that old L, and I had a toy Ertl tractor with the moldboard plow and I would play in the freshly turned dirt. We would visit my Grandmother, she still lived on the farm my father had grown up on, and she had a 1953 Ford Jubilee tractor. Dad let me drive it out in the meadow away from the house.....by myself! I must have been younger than 8 at the time. We moved to Zambia, Africa when I was 8 so that Dad could use an old farm as an agricultural outreach ministry for the Southern Baptist Convention. Our first tractor was an Argentinian built Massey Ferguson 155 with all the controls in Spanish......Which was NOT the official language there. I'd drive that tractor every chance I could, and we used it a lot. I suppose I should mention that Dad traded in his old L before we left the states and took a newly rebuilt Gravely overseas. In fact, our first field was plowed using the Gravely, and the cultivator tool bar was used for several years to put in furrows for crops, until the farm could afford to buy a full size tool bar for the 155. That first year, plowing with the Gravely was rather scary, as I recall several snakes bursting out from under brush as the tractor approached, and there are very few harmless snakes in Zambia. As the farm became more established, the Gravely was relegated to mowing tasks, keeping walking paths open to the church and the generator house, and other areas as needed. I left the farm in 1982, at age 18, for a college education in the states and ended up living in the city with a job, and started a family of my own.
In 1992, Mom and Dad were in the states and were thinking of their retirement, set for 1998. They bought a house about 1 hour from me, set it up as a rental, and asked me to check on it from time to time. The house had 2.5 acres of land attached, but it turned out that the tenants only took care of the acre closest to the house. The remaining land began growing pines, briars, and weeds. I didn't check personally on the house for several years, trusting our rental agent to take care of the details, and soon that extra land was pretty overgrown. In 1996 I became more closely involved in the management of the house ( Fired the rental agent!) and wanted to clean it up. I made the decision to purchase a Gravely, and it was sort of all down hill from there. Yes, the Gravely bush hog will cut down anything you can push over, though since I thought Dad might want to have a garden I pulled many of the 6-7 ft pines out by the roots, rather than leave even a small stump. Then I wanted a rotary plow, and that led to the purchase of another Gravely tractor, which I pulled apart, rebuilt and restored. I stored the tractors for several years at Dad's house, and when he returned to the states in 1997 he began using them for his lawn and garden needs. I found and purchased a Com 10 in Florida, and Dad picked it up and brought it back when he was in that area. Dad found an electric start LI in southern Virginia, and we picked that up together. Sometime in 2007 I bought a pair of 5000 series Gravelys in the Atlanta area with a number of attachments. I left the electric start model for Dad, and kept the pull start model for myself. Dad kept using his Gravelys until about 4 months before his death in September of 2010. He suffered from a mental disorder which was originally diagnosed as Alzheimers in October of 2009. I found a photo from April of 2010 with him giving a trailer ride to his two youngest grandaughters. I remember around this time that he could no longer follow the cut line, so I would either walk beside him or ride behind him in the trailer so that I could keep him focused on the task. He was also unsteady on his feet and knew it, so when he wanted his garden plowed he led me out to the shed, then sat nearby in a chair to watch me as I plowed with the Gravely.IMG_5071.JPG
After his death, I became aware of the Massey series of garden tractors and wanted one as an echo of the time in my youth when we had our first Massey and Dad would let me drive it. I am training my kids in the use of these old tractors too.nikon 046.JPG 0519121625.jpg Nolan Mowing.jpg GE 011.JPG

Edited by HowardsMF155, July 31, 2012 - 12:49 AM.

• Newpaws493 and twostep have said thanks

#205 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for sharing these priceless memories. Plenty to share with the next generation. Grew up in Zambia? How rare is that?! :thumbs: :thumbs:
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#206 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 08:12 PM

Let's see here, I grew up with farming so naturally i was into the the big tractors, and we used John Deere so that's what got most of the itch going. I was already driving big tractors but then when I was about eight my dad got me on the mower and I found it easier to driving being so young it was my size. So that's where it took off. Then when I was about 11 or so my one brother got a job as a mechanic at the local JD dealer and he would bring home lots and lots of mowers, lets see here, 2 JD 345's, JD 112H, JD GT235, a Scotts, over the years and I got more and more into them. He shared much of his knowledge with me about them and I got to liking them more and more. So that's pretty much how it went. The one 345 was actually just recently bought and the Scotts was sold not too long ago. I started with a JD 316 I think it was and now its come to the big ole 445. Plus a GT225 which we got after the 316 blew up.

#207 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 11:17 AM

It might have started with having a high fever at the age of eight.......

But, to bring it up to the present, when I first worked at the tollway, we had a Wheel Horse C series we used to mow the yard at the oasis. I thought that was a really good mower. Much better than the other brands we got over the years. Then after I retired, my wife and oldest daughter got it in their fool heads that I shouldn't push mow any more, I was going to have a heart attack or something. Okay, get me a Wheel Horse. You all know the rest of it. If you have one, more is better. And so, it gets out of hand.

#208 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 01:05 AM

Being around the old farm tractors.lawn%20mower%20028.jpg 2n 003.JPG sc and s 006.JPG sc and s 002.JPG

#209 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 07:12 AM

That is a pretty Ford! Nice restoration, I assume you did it?
  • A.C.T. said thank you

#210 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 09:47 PM

Thanks I did a refurbish this spring. It is a 2n so its not color correct. Put a lot of new parts on it Here is my 1948 8n that is color correct.
truck 017.JPG