Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#181 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 08:50 PM

When I realized the tractor I beat to death as a child was really well built, I decided to try and hunt it down. It was a David Bradley. We did not own the GT, my dad had a deal with the neighbor across the street, he was the owner. We could use it as long as dad maintained it. After many years, I decided to try and track it down. I talked with the previous owner and he told me to go to a house to get it. It was in the garage and the door is open. When I got the garage door open I was surprised to find a Cub Cadet 129. A far cry from a David Bradley! I spoke with the PO and he said this was the tractor. So, I proceeded to look it over and decided to spend a little money and time getting it going. I am glad I did. I still would love to find a DB of the same vintage. I have all the maintenance and repair manuals for it, including serial #s.

Thanks for reading,

Geno

#182 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 09:21 PM

Gr

Always liked Garden Tractors! We had a Gravely "L" two wheel walkbehind on the farm for general tasks in the '50's into early 60's when Dad traded it for a Cub Cadet 12 hp (do not recall the nomenclature). That little bugger came with mower, cart and snow plow, and got used for all types of tasks on the farm up to and including moving fully loaded wagons of bailed hay and ear corn. There was even a time or two that it got hitched to the hay rake when we were short a tractor.

I got my shoulder injured at work in 2004, than got fired one day , for cutting out of work to go to Doctor prescriped therapy, after I had already worked 9.5 hours, and got into buying and selling Gravelys on a serious basis to help make ends meet.

Welcome to GTTalk! Gravelys are dear to me also. If you havent already, Put a pin on our member map! http://gardentractor...member-map.html Great to have one more Gravely nut from PA! Shawn
a

#183 OxfordMercantile OFFLINE  

OxfordMercantile
  • Member No: 8888
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts
  • Location: 7 Miles East of Gettysburg, PA 100 yards off the Lincoln Hiway.

Posted March 06, 2012 - 08:14 AM

I spent quite a bit of time trying to find that map, did finally find it, than could not "Pinpoint a Pin", because there is no place to enter my street address, and I have no idea what my lat and long are! The 'dropdown' covered the map and gave me no room to "click in" the location.

Maybe at another time I'll get it in, but at this time there are far too many more important things I need to get done than sit here trying to decipher a cumbersome web site!

#184 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 06, 2012 - 08:39 AM

OxfordMercantile,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#185 JakeKuhn OFFLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 9298
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 07:08 PM

What started my itch for garden tractors was back in 2009 when a buddy gave me a 401. I just drove that thing every chance I could. I plowed snow with it too. I just loved that thing so much. I now have restored it and have 10 other tractors with it. 4 deere's and 7 wheel horse's. Although I like deere's too,horse's will always be my favorite. here is a before pic and then a couple of years later what it looks like. If you guys would like to see other pictures of my stuff I usually try and keep my website updated,here is a link to it http://jakekuhnsgard...ctors.webs.com/ Yes,in the before pic the wheel rusted right off while I was driving it :D P.S. what is a tractor without duals and a stainless stack. Jake

Attached Thumbnails

• 401.jpg
  • 102_0239.JPG
  • 102_0238.JPG
  • 102_0229 (2).JPG
  • 102_0249.JPG

Edited by JakeKuhn, April 06, 2012 - 07:08 PM.

• KennyP and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#186 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted April 06, 2012 - 07:39 PM

Holy Smackers,That is A1 BEAUTIFUL wheelhorse !!! SUPER JOB !!! What an inspiration.Thanks for posting the pics. :tractor_rocks:

#187 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 07, 2012 - 05:08 AM

Nice looking Wheel Horse. I really like the duals. :thumbs:

You should add it to my Dual Wheels thread.
http://gardentractor...18-dual-wheels/

Edited by mjodrey, April 07, 2012 - 05:11 AM.

#188 JakeKuhn OFFLINE  

JakeKuhn

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 9298
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted April 07, 2012 - 07:38 AM

Thanks Guys. Jake

#189 jonsteffen OFFLINE  

jonsteffen

• Member No: 761
  • 4 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted April 07, 2012 - 08:12 AM

when i was 11 went to my first garden tractor pull

#190 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,751 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted April 07, 2012 - 11:51 AM

In 1980 I bought my first GT. It is a WH Raider 9. It was a wreck. I fixed it up and have used it up to about 8 years ago. Over the years I've bought and sold a few small tractors. In 2005 I was laid off and trying to keep my son off the computor games. A friend had a nice AC Big Ten sitting dead in the yard. I offered to fix it for him. I brought it home and fixed it up. I then had my son test drive it on our lawn. He loved it! I figured that it was a good distraction and I might make some money at it. That summer we collected about forty small tractors. I got several going right away but found that the new ones died easy. Since then I collect Bolens and WH and he collects AC and Ford but, we don't pass up a good deal on any of the tractors from the 60s or 70s. I think it is a great hobby and we are reusing resources that would otherwise go to waste. Now that I am retired, I will work through the lot of tractors that need to be restored and try to build a big shed for them. Good Luck to ALL.

You know you're addicted when you have 6 tractors in the basement and 3 dozen outside waiting for their turn to get in.

Edited by boyscout862, April 07, 2012 - 11:53 AM.

#191 scbowhunter OFFLINE  

scbowhunter
  • Member No: 9624
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 03:28 AM

I got hooked with the first lawn tractor,I can remember ever seeing at the ripe old age of 5 years old.My dad was hauling car from Upstate New York back here to our home in South Carolina,When he found a Wheel Horse RJ-58 sitting in the trash pile at the end of someones driveway(We ask if we could have it)and brought it home.Sitting in the only space we could find to place it,In front of the fifth wheel across the rails of dad's old International road tractor.I still have it.Along with my Ford LGT14D and Jonn Deere LX172 and parts

#192 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted April 25, 2012 - 04:44 AM

Welcome, scbowhunter! Great story! Stroll on down to the Member Introductions and get a proper welcome!

#193 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted April 30, 2012 - 05:25 PM

What started my itch for garden tractors was back in 2009 when a buddy gave me a 401. I just drove that thing every chance I could. I plowed snow with it too. I just loved that thing so much. I now have restored it and have 10 other tractors with it. 4 deere's and 7 wheel horse's. Although I like deere's too,horse's will always be my favorite. here is a before pic and then a couple of years later what it looks like. If you guys would like to see other pictures of my stuff I usually try and keep my website updated,here is a link to it http://jakekuhnsgard...ctors.webs.com/ Yes,in the before pic the wheel rusted right off while I was driving it Posted Image P.S. what is a tractor without duals and a stainless stack. Jake

sweet!!! Thanks for sharing

#194 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 497 Thanks
  • 579 posts

Posted May 01, 2012 - 08:32 PM

The first tractor I ever drove was a JD 180. I love it, and we still have it. I got my first one because we had just moved into my grandparents house, and didn't have a hobby. I met some people around town and got into tractors myself.

#195 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted May 11, 2012 - 01:45 PM

I was born that way.