Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#166 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 12:07 AM

I am sure I posted my story in this thread, but I will add a little bit about what keeps me in the hobby of GT's as much as I HATE the trials and tribulations of the small gas engine. It is about the seat time, the people, my Elec Trak E20, the people, the history, the people, and the sound of RPMs moving dirt. Did I mention the people?? :bigrofl:

It is so easy to keep a hobby, especially when you have a large support group to help you solve the problems and have fun. GTTalk is an invaluable friend finder.
  • tractorgarden, Michiganmobileman and chris m have said thanks

#167 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 12:19 AM

I am sure I posted my story in this thread, but I will add a little bit about what keeps me in the hobby of GT's as much as I HATE the trials and tribulations of the small gas engine. It is about the seat time, the people, my Elec Trak E20, the people, the history, the people, and the sound of RPMs moving dirt. Did I mention the people?? :bigrofl:

It is so easy to keep a hobby, especially when you have a large support group to help you solve the problems and have fun. GTTalk is an invaluable friend finder.

I am learning this at an accelerated rate lol
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#168 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 02:57 AM

Chris, as soon as you join a forum devoted to the same interest, your collection grows exponentially. It even gets as bad as you start redesigning others' tractors like they were your own. Isn't that right Kenny?? LOL
  • chris m said thank you

#169 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 02:57 AM

I am learning this at an accelerated rate lol

You got that right, Chris.

You need to add GTTalk after each of those 'the people', Casey.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#170 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 02:59 AM

Chris, as soon as you join a forum devoted to the same interest, your collection grows exponentially. It even gets as bad as you start redesigning others' tractors like they were your own. Isn't that right Kenny?? LOL

Right on, Casey.
  • wvbuzzmaster and chris m have said thanks

#171 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 02:59 AM

The GTTalk part is like the word "you" in most sentences, it is automatically understood to exist LOL.

#172 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 03:00 AM

Kenny, do you ever leave this thread?? LOL

#173 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 03:09 AM

Guys I have been on here for like 14 hours so far Today. ATM i am on CL in Ohio trying to find a grill for that lgt145, I was on ebay looking before that. I can't stop LOL

#174 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 03:12 AM

Chris, 14 hours is a little excessive, I have at least posted before work, after work, after waking up from my nap, and last few hours LOL. Also, you are buying parts for other people's tractors now, welcome to the club LOL.

#175 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,353 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 05:10 AM

Hey Chris, if you come across any hyd. valves/cylinders for Fords cheap, give me a holler.

#176 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted February 17, 2012 - 07:45 PM

Hey Chris, if you come across any hyd. valves/cylinders for Fords cheap, give me a holler.

PM Sent

#177 dangeroustoys56 OFFLINE  

dangeroustoys56

• Member No: 8507
  • 18 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 05:53 AM

My freind from work got me into it back in the 90's - he mentioned he had a 70 toro he wanted gone - he had plans to rebuild it and trim around trees, but he never had time to fix it.

I was bored and needed something to do - so i handed him $50 and brot it home. After getting it running , it got me going to tinker on more tractors - he had a few more lying around, so i 'cleaned ' up his yard - the bug really hit when i mentioned to other co workers i was looking for tractors - i ended up with 12 tractors before i knew it- some i used for parts, others i fixed.

I still have my lil toro which i plan to make functional to mow with some day, some of the original 12 made it down south - some didnt , still collected stuff off CL, freecycle and word of mouth - my current collection stands at 28 - most mow, some are in pieces and some are 'mod projects' .

I still have a 'list' of tractors i want to get , like an older Sears( i have a few craftsman/sears tractors) , more dynamarks and murrays - also be nice to find a older wheelhorse that actually runs ( unlike mine).

Just cant seem to find time to get out and tinker with all the 'honey do' lists my wife makes up for me and added hours at work ....

#178 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,632 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 06:51 PM

I've always liked Lawn/Garden tractors, and had used some over the years but really never lived anyplace where I had enough grass to make it necessary to have one.

Then in Jun 2010, my MIL passed away. My wife is the only child and inherited the house here in Oberlin. We were living in Cincinnati at the time.

Her father had passed away some 20+ years ago, and the next door neighbor had been mowing the MIL's grass since that time. First with the '77 Sears 14/6 that my FIL had bought, and when it became too costly to repair/keep running, the used his own mowers. In all of that time he refused to take a dime for doing that.

When we moved up here, I knew that it was unreasonable to expect the neighbor to keep mowing the grass, so I started checking out what I had. The 14/6 was in sad shape, and it was going to take too long to get it working, so I bought a 2010 Cub Cadet LTX 1045. That's my primary 'mowing machine', and I have to say it DOES do a very good job.

Needing room in the garage, which was packed full of stuff, I gave the 14/6 to a local person, just so I would have room for the 1045. I noticed WAY back in the corner, a Bolens 800 with a blade on the front.

I said to my self, "Self, since I'm now here in snow country, where Lake Effect snow is not unheard of, maybe I can get that old 800 running so I can plow with it this winter".

Well, I did do some work on it, but it still wasn't ready for the snow, and that winter we had a LOT of it. Then I found a Brinly Dump Attachment in the garage, followed by a round back tiller out behind the garage.

I took the 800 with the Brinly Dump on it to the Wellington OH show that Sept, and with all of the other GTs there, the bug bit me big time.

The next spring, I decided to start looking for a blower for the 800. I found a G10 with a blower on Craigslist, and got that...then a Haban Sickle-Mo showed up on Craigslist...followeded by a front reel mower...both of which 'followed me home".

Took those to the Wellington show last fall. I was wanting a Hydro tractor for blower work and at the show saw a nice H14 with blower, deck, and tiller that I lusted after, but it was just too much for my wallet. Plus, I already had a blower.

When we got home from the Wellington, I saw on Craigslist a nice looking 1256 with deck advertised. Since I had rented a trailer for the show, and still had it, I gave the guy a call, and since he still had it, off we went to take a look at it. I ended up putting it AND a sleeve hitch and Ez-Vac collection system on the trailer.

Then about 2 weeks late, another 1256 with Sickle-Mo showed up on eBay. I put in a bid that I figured would be beaten...but ended up being the winning bid. So I ended up with another 1256, Sickle-Mo, deck, blade, and round back tiller.

Things were getting SERIOUS by this time.

Anyway, I had also been lusting after a FEL. I had put in a lot of hours on a JD 750 with a FEL and knew how handy they are. However, FEL's ain't cheap.

Doing my usual Craigslist searching...I found an 1886 over in Indiana with a homemade FEL on it advertised for $900.00. So I called the guy, then rented a trailer, and IT followed me home. It didn't have any counter weight on that rear, so that was going to be a problem.

Again, while I still had the trailer...a square back tiller for the 1886 showed up on Craig's list just about 5 miles from me...with the 1886 still on the trailer, off I went to take a look at it. A deal was made, so I went back, off loaded the 1886, went back and picked up the tiller AND a 12" Briny Plow that he had.

I'm not sure what I'll pick up next, but back in the 70's my Step Father had an EK 10 which I mowed with a couple of times and....

Edited by OldBuzzard, March 05, 2012 - 06:55 PM.

• Oldford said thank you

#179 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 05, 2012 - 08:02 PM

Watching my father back fill a waterline ditch with the AMF 1010 which he bought new in 76. That tractor, If it could have only talked! Dad was all about weight it down for traction,probabley why the peerless had been rebuilt three times in thirty years. That little tractor ended the lives of one Dynamark,one Craftsman and one Murry ( all lawn tractor versions) all in one summer day. It seems that 12 h.p. + 14h.p. + 12.5 h.p.with aluminum transaxles does not stand up to a 16 h.p. (OHV replacement Techum.) that weighted about 1300lbs. in full battle gear. Yes three against one,on a tar and chip road. Oh how I miss the days before you tube. Shawn

#180 OxfordMercantile OFFLINE  

OxfordMercantile
  • Member No: 8888
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts
  • Location: 7 Miles East of Gettysburg, PA 100 yards off the Lincoln Hiway.

Posted March 05, 2012 - 08:34 PM

Always liked Garden Tractors! We had a Gravely "L" two wheel walkbehind on the farm for general tasks in the '50's into early 60's when Dad traded it for a Cub Cadet 12 hp (do not recall the nomenclature). That little bugger came with mower, cart and snow plow, and got used for all types of tasks on the farm up to and including moving fully loaded wagons of bailed hay and ear corn. There was even a time or two that it got hitched to the hay rake when we were short a tractor.

I got my shoulder injured at work in 2004, than got fired one day , for cutting out of work to go to Doctor prescriped therapy, after I had already worked 9.5 hours, and got into buying and selling Gravelys on a serious basis to help make ends meet.
  • Oldford said thank you