Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#151 wrbourget OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6649
  • 28 Thanks
  • 138 posts

Posted December 02, 2011 - 01:33 PM

Growing up we were poor and if we wanted things like a go cart we had to build them our self's mostly they were geared up striped down lawnmowers my dad got out of the dump or someone gave him. As long as i can remember i had some sort of tractor or lawnmower and it just kind of progressed from there. My first was a 1966 sears SS12 and i would drive up and down the street with it cutting lawns and raking yards for the people who lived on my street. When i was old enough to work i work in a lawnmower repair shop and worked on all kinds of machines but some how or another i ended up working on cars and trucks instead. I tried restoring old cars but that was to costly and just didn't care for it all that much, then i moved on to race cars it was to costly as well and to time consuming, and it cost me a divorce. From there i moved on to alcohol abuse got myself into all kinds of problems and so on till about 10 years ago i got sober and and as a hobby i started fixing garden tractors and before i know it i was restoring one for myself and it just started as one but grew to eight of them now and i got a few rare ones like the 990 and the original. Now i just enjoy my tractors i like using them more than i like restoring them but i do plan on restoring all of my tractors some day.
  • harrycu said thank you

#152 ckjakline OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,052 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted December 02, 2011 - 08:07 PM

I grew up helping my dad and grandfather on his farm.I got to use tractors all the time.I remember all the older john deeres we used to have.A jd 4020,2510 narrow front with loader,and a 2020.The one i remember most was the 2 110s we used for mowing the lawn.I loved riding around on those things.What really got me into GTs was i was with my dad at MM Weavers anual consignment sale in leola,Pa.We were walking through the antique tractors and came up on this garden tractor.It was a massey ferguson 10.I thought wow this is a really neat looking tractor.I was working crazy hours at the time so i didn't make it to the sale.The following may i was headed to my grandfathers place and passed a massey 7 sitting in front of a house near by.I stopped and inquired about it,and the lady said it was her husbands and he had it at there yard sale.He was trying to get $5.00 for it,but she said she wasn't sure what he was doing with it.I told her i'll give you $10 and haul it away in 5 mins.She said ok.That was 1n 2004 and only escalated into 25 garden tractors.

#153 wpeterson OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7648
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted December 02, 2011 - 10:29 PM

As kids, we always pieced together go karts out of lawn mower handles bolted together, or 2x4 lumber frame with a horizontal shaft engine hooked up direct drive with a belt to the rear wheel, or scooters using a Wisconsin 8hp grain elevator replacement engine bolted onto a Cushman, direct drive of course. You had to lean it over to get the rear wheel off the ground while you wrapped the starter rope up and yanked it to life, then gun it and take off in a cloud of heifer dust. I drooled over the brand new JD 110 my rich kid friend had, but another friend's little Fordson we pulled hay rakes or hay racks to the barn with seemed like a pretty big deal to a 9-year old. In between there have been many years of raising kids in the suburbs on 1 acre where I needed a walk behind to get exercise. But when we got our cabin near a good fishing lake, you can't spend all your time mowing, so we bought a '93 Toro Wheel Horse 314 a couple years ago with the 48" deck which gets the job done real quick. Our friends have the cabin a block away and use our tractor because their tractor isn't nearly as fun as ours. Now in the approaching MN winter, we are ready to blow that snow with the 42" attachment with all that 314 power behind it. Every time I climb aboard that Horse, I'm a kid all over again!

#154 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 02:02 PM

Well I took a job mowing the Trailer Court here in town and my Old Snapper RER just wouldn't handle it for long, so I bought a Cub Cadet and well one thing leads to another and now I have 7 when I get them all gathered up.

#155 Nonyab OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8179
  • 1 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 07:03 PM

I wanted something with more muscle than the regular riding mower. Something to do real work without worrying about destroying a transaxle. Been raised on a farm and it's hard to get the tractor out your system. I do not have a big enough place to a real tractor so I am having to settle for a baby tractor. Anyway, a friend gave me a 1986 Cub Cadet 1811 that is in pretty fair shape. Plan to install a 3-point hitch if possible and use to do garden work and tow my boat trailers around so not to mess up yard too much. After I check this thing out I may make it a restoration project to have something to do.

• Member No: 8367
  • 547 Thanks
  • 435 posts

Posted January 24, 2012 - 05:58 PM

Mom sold the home place and moved to an assisted living home. I found Dads old David Bradley walk behind sitting in the corner of the barn. He had bought it new in 1951. It had been sitting neglected and forgotten for decades in the dirt.
I hauled it home and took inventory....mostly there, rotten tires, no engine. The engine had been taken off and used for a go cart when I was a kid!
I went to some tractor swap meets and found a correct replacement engine and made a good deal on some knobby tires.
Tinker a bit , scrape and sand, scrape and sand , then paint...and tinker some more.
At last it was done.
I took it to the the apartment where Mom was living and drove it around the building, the look on her face was priceless.

And so it began...I needed another project, then another....

#157 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,679 Thanks
  • 39,056 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 07:20 AM

Welcome, WHdbJD. Great story! Thanks for sharing it.

#158 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted January 26, 2012 - 02:52 PM

Welcome, WHdbJD. Great story! Thanks for sharing it.

:ditto: :welcometogttalk:
And of course pictures when you can! Enjoy the information and friendliness on this site.

#159 hgl1gtt OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7874
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted January 27, 2012 - 08:04 AM

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 301 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted February 09, 2012 - 11:15 PM

The first thing I learned to drive was Dad's '65 Cub Cadet. I was about 5 when I started mowing on my own. The tractor got sold in 1990 and was replaced with a John Deere 170. I always wanted to track the old Cub down, but couldn't trace it that far back. I bought my first when I was 13 - a Massey Ferguson 7. I've had close to a dozen MFs since from 8s to the 14 I still currently have. I found an IH Cub 100 like what Dad used to have back in 2007 and it's probably the only GT I have that I wouldn't sell. In the last couple years I've tried to get familiar with brands other than Cub and Massey and within that time, I've bought and sold a 1613 Deutz Allis, a Wheel Horse 655, Allis Chalmers HB112, 1965 JD 110, and several MFs including three MF8s, one MF10 and two MF12s. I am considering an Oliver for my next venture. I also have my eye on a nice Case 155, but I can't quite convince the owner to sell it just yet.....

The book "GARDEN TRACTORS" by Oscar H. Will III is a great reference and I recommend it to everyone. I bought my copy at a local mall, but it can be found on amazon and ebay.

#161 kwj427 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 389
  • 56 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted February 14, 2012 - 11:38 AM

hi guys,
we used to go tothe local antique tractor shows, then we saw guys riding around on the garden tractors. i first wanted one of the round fender jd 110's, but mt first was a jd 140. then i found about the attachments. then i was hooked, my son says these are tractors his size.

#162 spinella OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8639
  • 6 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted February 15, 2012 - 02:14 PM

myself i was always really into mini bikes-go karts and dirt bikes growing up. i'm a heavy equiptment operator and still ride dirt bikes. but the tractor thing came about when i was looking for something to do with my 9 year old son in the garage. we are currently taken apart a 125 cub cadet for a full restoration.

#163 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,112 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 11:05 PM

I bought my first GT new in 1970, we had 4 arces and I had a Sears St14, with 54" mower deck,plow,disc,snow plow regretably I sold it 5 years later and moved to Florida, and had wanted to replace it for years, had several lawn tractors, but allways wanted a GT. In 2005 my 45 year old son passed away and I inherited his Ford 600 farm tractor, I have restored it in his honor and take it to shows. I saw all the GT's running around and said to myself I need 1 of those to ride at the show. I sold the new mower and bought a ST16 Sears then a GT18 Sears with a mower deck and 3 point hitch, then a Ford 100 GT, and then built some carts for people to ride on.It took 35 years, but I have my GT again and enjoy useing it for all kinds of chores.IMG_3005.JPG IMG_3174.JPG
  • Delmar and chris m have said thanks

#164 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,711 Thanks
  • 28,354 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 11:10 PM

Tinbender, thanks for the pics and the story. Sorry to hear of your son, but good that you still have his tractor.

You may not get too many welcomes with the post here, so if you get a chance to post an intro in the introductions area, it would give everyone a chance to welcome you proper.

For now, I think I'll speak for everyone when I say :welcometogttalk:
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#165 Delmar OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,257 Thanks
  • 2,383 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 11:21 PM

Yes, Welcome! That is a great collection of tractors ya got there! The GT18 is my favorite, but of course I am kinda partial to anything sears/roper.

Happy tractoring! :welcome:
  • tinbender7 said thank you