Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#136 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,661 Thanks
  • 39,041 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 08:19 AM

Welcome, HDWildBill. Thanks for your service. Glad you found something you enjoy. Post something in http://gardentractor...-introductions/ for a real welcome to the forum.

#137 ric44 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6514
  • 5 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted September 26, 2011 - 04:37 PM

Mowing my 2 acre yard and pulling my grandkids around in a trailer.....................grin.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6526
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 12:47 PM

I just got started all older equipment is fun

#139 70Blazer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6187
  • 10 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 01:28 PM

I just like old stuff made in America, and my yard is a mess.

#140 BcKc OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6490
  • 14 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 01:57 AM

How I got my start..... I have always liked to fix and modify anything that runs, operated heavy equipment for a living and this is just a better branch of that.
My uncle has an old David Brown tractor that we use at his place and mine, it works as many things including a backhoe most days.
Having one acre of grass to cut on a hillside is bad but I have another 12 acres in trees with some old logging roads I would like to open up for walking and my wife to ride her horses on.
I started to look around for a couple of months for a better mower unit than I had, stumbled on a gravely unit for sale (now i dont like to just go off half cocked).
So I looked into the model, what age vs price, did it just mow grass and every other aspect I could on the machines. They looked better every day, so I call a fellow and came home with one unit running and four other bodies in parts (sure am glad I like to pull wrenches).
After loading up a truck and trailer we are home bound, one week later I am still sorting the stuff and realise I need another shed just for gravely parts!

You just have to love the things that make us tick!

#141 Delmar OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,257 Thanks
  • 2,383 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 05:01 AM

I was just looking for something to work on, to fix. I found an old Sears st10 at Arnolds in kc,mo. it had a deck and part of the hitch on the back but did not run. I put a new carberator on it ( gas was left in it, and had gone past the jelly-stage). I cleaned the gas tank (acetone and BB's, well shaken, work great to loosen up rust in the gas tank) and it ran! I had several old riding lawnmowers around the place, and the st10 could outrun them all. I think that's how my 3 kids learned how to drive, by running around on those old mowers with me in the back yard. (I had taken the decks off of the ones the kids drove). I found a plow for it and used it to plow a garden (more rocks that dirt in that garden) and have been hooked ever since.

#142 ratracenomore OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6636
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 10:25 PM

Well, I just started out looking for a small tractor to work a small plot of land for food. I found my 1450 on craigslist. As I do with everything I buy, I had to do some research on this little beast and, wow. All the great reviews I have read about this little GT I had to have it. I am relatively young but even I know that they just don't make equipment like this anymore. I was not looking for a hobby, or a toy I needed a tool. From what I understand, so long as I can find parts to keep her going my 1450 will help me to feed my family with out killing myself. Also I hope to save some time and back pain with the snow blower ( I have a five car driveway). Anyway now that I have seen all the attachment that are available for my little beast I am hooked.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted October 01, 2011 - 10:33 PM

I bought this little tractor a Case 224 Torq...just a little somethin to 'blow snow' little did I know that this is one of the 'holy grail' amongst Case collectors, I started getting emails and phone calls from people all over the US...I thought huh? a garden tractor...that was < 1 year ago now I own oh about 20 LOL my wife knows of 9 ha ha ha... You'll read more of my Torq story in the Jan issue of LAGC...

And I became good friends with MastiffLawyer, (Jack) and 190Forklift (Steve), That is like taking Peyton Maning and Barry Sanders to play a game of touch football...

Edited by NutCASE, October 01, 2011 - 10:43 PM.

#144 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted October 04, 2011 - 07:11 PM

Hope your wife dosen't find out about the other 11 tractors once your story comes out.lol. Look forword to reading your torq story in January.

#145 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 04:30 PM

When I was a kid, I hated getting roused out of bed on winter weekends. Our family business used to build and fix salt spreaders in the winter. You know, the kind that will sit on a flatbed and have their own engine. Well, it's funny that this many years later, I do this same kind of stuff for fun. That being that GTs basically work the same.

Oh... and after moving out here to suburbia, I wanted to have something that would be the envy of the neighbors. Not too many PA Panzers roaming suburbia these days. Just your standard assortment of tin-foil, lawn mower on wheels kind of things around here.

Well, one other funny thing. We have a number of home depot clones running around, then there's this one guy with a one-third-acre lot and a commercial zero-turn. I had one of those when I took care of 4 acres, but 1/3??? Talk about doing your grass cutting in 10 minutes or less. But I digress.

#146 tjrsallis OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6082
  • 5 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 08:48 PM

Well I always loved tractors. When I was little my dad would take me to the "tractor zoo aka Early Ford" when I ate all my food (picky eater). The big fords were too big for a 4/5 year old to get on so all the LGT fords were just the right size for me to play on. Then I started mowing yards with a Dynamark when I was 11 replaced by a 1964 110 John Deere the next year in which I fell in love with. I have friends who have bought 110s because of how cool they thought that mower was. I had a bully chase after me in 7th grade and I flat left him with that thing! It would get up and move! Then I got a snapper ugh!

Edited by tjrsallis, October 06, 2011 - 08:55 PM.

#147 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 09, 2011 - 10:40 PM

As a kid, I had to cut our yard. Used a reel mower for a while (push kind, not gas powered!!!), then grduated to a gas walk behind mower. Fast forward many years and I had my own yard to cut. I really enjoyed walking along behind the self propelled honda walk-behind mower, zoning out and just enjoying the outdoors and not having to think!

Eventually, there was more yard, and less time available to cut it, so went to a rider mower.

I like engines and gas powered stuff, always have. The simple efficiency of tractors has been great to work on, especially compared to the complexity of todays cars. And there is some real history and variety avaiable at cheap prices if you look around.

#148 littlelenny OFFLINE  

• Member No: 7016
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 05:29 AM

I've always had a huge interest in garden tractors--fitting, considering there was always a need for a handler and a tractor at the homes I've lived at throughout the years.

#149 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 05:52 AM

littlelenny,welcome to the forum.
Glad to have you with us.

#150 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 08:15 AM

I've always had a knack for "fixin stuff", and a curious affection for anything described as "a machine". My earliest memory was a ten-key adding machine dad had in the garage. You know, the kind with about hundred buttons and a crank on the side.? When dad got home, I had that thing in a zillion pieces. Amazing how many little springs and gears and stuff was inside. He wasn't mad. He just said "Think you'll have that together by supper?"

No I didn't fix that. I did however eventually retire from 28 years troubleshooting industrial machinery in every imaginable kind of factory in the midwest from auto plants, to steel mills and cotton gins. Tinkering helps keep my mind fresh and the challenge alive.

Lastly of course, its the tremendous profit we all make from building and repairing old tractors. :bigrofl: