Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

So what started your itch for lawn and garden tractors?

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 12:38 PM

I have been wanting to start a thread on this and I think it would be cool to hear how everyone initially got the itch to either buy their first or start collecting lawn and garden tractors. I will add mine a little later.
  • Craig., Huskyfan, Oldford and 2 others have said thanks

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 02:02 PM

How did I get into garden tractors ?....hmmmm .Well I have always been interested in motorized equipment big and small,and having quite a few farms close by when I was growing up,plus my Grandfather had a big farm, that helped getting interested in tractors.My first ride on mower was a Cadet 65,I believe mid 70s.My first garden tractor was a 1978 Massey 1655 which I had for 28 years.After that , I figured if I was going to collect a few tractors,it would have to be small ones because they take up less space.I had a 1926 Fordson F once,but sold it because with steel wheels you were limited to where you could take it.Well,that's my story,at last count I have 12 tractors.

Edited by mjodrey, July 02, 2010 - 02:44 PM.

• Craig., chris m, Huskyfan and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 02:03 PM

I Basicly grew up on tractors and equipment, My Grandfather used to have a small farm and I would always spend alot of time there. As the equipment would need repair I remember following him around and watching him work on the various equipment, including the Bolens . He would always let me ride the Bolens he had. years later, he let me take the remaining Bolens (900,1000) and thats how the collection all started. About 6 or 7 years ago I decided I needed to expand the collection and the snow ball kept rolling , I picked up a 1050 (the non restored one), then about 4 years later I got a 1256 (which I ended up selling:wallbanging:) , Then in 08 I got another 1050 (the restored one), and last summer I picked up the 800 and 850 :thumbs:
  • Craig., Huskyfan, icecream4070 and 1 other said thanks

#4 kwj427 OFFLINE  

kwj427

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 389
  • 56 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 04:41 PM

i guess i got started when we would go to the tractor shows in our area, and see people riding on them around the show. the next thing
you meet new friends, see more neet stuff and the next thing you know , you are a certifed tractorholic? that is not a bad thing right?
kenny
  • Craig. and Huskyfan have said thanks

#5 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 05:53 PM

I probably told this before on here, but you did ask George,,,,,,,,

When I was a kid, my dad looked after an estate and a plaza that the estate owner owned......There were a number of tractors and machinery around, but I got tom drive this National Mower to cut the grass on the 14 acre estate. I was 10 and got 50 cents/hr....big bucks in 1962......at least I thought so

Posted Image

Fast forward to a couple of years ago, when I retired and moved to this house with over an acre of grass to cut.....The house came with a little JD tractor, but I figured, why not hunt down an old National and use it.......Ended up with 4 of them, down to 1 now and a parts machine.......Then came the Fords and Massey......I buy and sell the odd machine to make a few bucks.....5 in the stable right now.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 06:24 PM

Well, what started my itch for a lawn tractor was using push mowers!:D The 1st real itch I couldn't satisfy till much later in life. I was 17yrs old & a fella wanted my friend & I to put up his small crop of tobacco while he was at work. Took us a couple or 3 days, but we took our time. Reason we went slow was we loved using what we pulled the small wagon to the barn with...a Massey MF16! Always wanted one bad after that, but none to be seen round my parts, & no internet to help find them. Once the internet was available to me, the hunt was on! Sure I had owned lawn tractors, but I wanted the tough boys! Being raised on Massey's, it was a natural draw to them. Once I got a few of them, then other makes caught my eye. Once I got Bush Hog tractor, I was hooked on them also!
Like Maynard, space is an issue, so GT's was the way to go if collecting equipment. Also, smaller tractors usually + smaller costs....but BIG fun!

#7 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 07:27 PM

I was born and raised on the farm {born at home no hospital for me} so tractors are in my blood same as farming.Me as a kid when my Dad was out ploughing the fields I used to take my red wagon put one side of the wagon wheels in the furrow and I'd follow him back and forth pushing that wagon pretending to be ploughing right behind him.Later on my parents sold the farm and moved into town.Being a farm raised boy I would still pretend to plough the garden with my wagon even after we were in town.As I got older I bought my first tractor a MF 7 it was in pieces as I didn't have much money then.I slowly bought parts that were needed and got it working.My Dad was also friends with a farmer that we went to visit and help out all the time he had Massey's so guess thats how massey's are my main interest. .I never owned any tractor or bought one that didn't need some sort of fixing. So I've been doing this for a few yrs now Still like doing stuff just takes a bit longer nowadays.Larry

#8 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 07:41 PM

7 years ago I was driving down the road near my new place and saw a Massey MF12hydra for sale $100. bought it right away. At the time I had nothing to cut my grass with, been around mowers tractors at the landscapers, mostly commercial machines though. Since then I've grown an appreciation for older tractors big and small.

#9 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 08:42 PM

I was trying to make some money buying and selling mowers, and bought an MF10 and MF12G. That was it. The 10 had major carb issues and the 12 had the front axle off, no fron t wheels, and the starter was bad. I put the 12 together first, and it became my work tractor since neither Massy had a deck. I grew to like them and decided i needed some attachments. I ended up going to New Hampshire to get 3 tractors- 1 gear 12 and 2 hydros. One 12H was parts and the other needed a belt. It became my first hydro drive tractor, and my regular mower. The parts 12H became my first resto project, well, teardown and repaint anyway. Their size over my other tractor and shear power amazed me and that was how it started.

#10 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 09:30 PM

I got hooked back when I was a kid. I always liked mowing the yard for my mom and dad. Dad always made sure I knew how to run things safely and properly, and he taught me how to take care of things. Dad and I spent a LOT of time together in his big garden. He had a Sears SS16 and several attachments (I wish I had all of that stuff now!!). Dad is 83 now and just this year gave up gardening. I live close enough that I can share some of our garden goodies with him and my mom.

I also spent several summers in western NY on relative's dairy farms. Got to use some BIG tractors there, and it definitely got in my blood.
  • Craig., Huskyfan, allisb10page and 1 other said thanks

#11 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 09:46 PM

I too am a farm boy who is financially forced to live in town. I spotted a Massey 10 sitting near my In-Laws' place and thought it was just so dang cute that it looked like the bigger tractors. This is what got me going. I have had a past hobby problem where I pick up a hobby for a few months, drop some money into it, and then lose interest. Two of my main interests are small engines and tractors so common sense says that Garden Tractors are good fit. I grew up with a JD 140 and didn't think much about it until the Massey came along. Now my wife says we need to fit a car in the garage this winter. My reply is, "We should build a bigger garage!" It's nice to have two of my interests combined into one unit. Maybe 3 actually. I've collected scale models all of my life and now I can focus on the scale model Garden Tractors without worrying about having everything in a series and breaking the bank.
  • Craig., Huskyfan, Chopperhed and 1 other said thanks

#12 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 02:52 PM

I've always had a huge interest in garden tractors, but didnt act on it till I bought my house last year. I grew up driving old dirt bikes as a child and always enjoyed old equipment. I've had a collection of old Honda mini-bikes and I decided that having a collection of old tractors to fill the garage would be just as cool.

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 03:25 PM

bread320i:welcometogttalk:glad to have you here.
  • Huskyfan said thank you

#14 Rick OFFLINE  

Rick

Tractorholic

• Member No: 344
  • 15 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 05:10 PM

I grew up around all size tractors,my grandpap had a small backhoe business in which I got to help with so we kinda got hooked on tractors of all sizes from that time on.
  • Huskyfan said thank you

#15 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• Member No: 769
  • 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted July 04, 2010 - 11:17 PM

Well I think my itch has been ther along time me and my friend used to get old lawnmowers from people. Wed take the decks off and play around with them doing what ever we could do to make more power then wed use them to pull wagons and trailers an old international scout 2 we four wheeld aswell as old junk cars around the salvage yard my friends granpa had. I remember my first true GT which I still have though it was a small one it was great to me I got it from and old man that lived next to my dad. He was elderly and got very sick one year after he had planted his garden and wasnt able to take care of it. So i offered to take care of it for him daily or as needed doing whatever he asked. i had no thoughts of getting anything in return just helping him out. I also had no Idea he had any GT. Well at the end of the summer once he got well enough to take care of it his self he asked me to take a ride to his barn down the road that he might have something I want down there. So I went with him and he gave me a Massey Ferguson MF8 and said I really appreciate all your help and wish I could give you more but I know you like old mowers so heres you one to fix up. It was rougher than a cob but once I laid eyes on it I was in love and now I have 3 masseys and a cub. That was when My itch started. Thanks Josh
  • Craig., AA Hayes and scooter12 have said thanks