11 replies to this topic

#1 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• Member No: 1713
  • 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 11:09 PM

hello, again,
well my 185 carb is sitting in gas and sea foam-which by the way in less than 2 minutes got my chainsaw running as new, anyway.... we were away for a while so the carb for the 185 should be ok after a week of sitting and soaking, I hope,

----but to the point or topic-----

I'll try to make this very short-----
for about two yrs. now I've been placing ads to try and find a trans for one of my 111's, and a few days ago someone sent email that they had a 210 of about the same vintage that had tired motor but good tranny that might do for very little asking price,,,,,sooooo,,, trailer hooked up, off I went and this is what I brought home...... all there, very little dents and only surface rust....
tried to charge battery it came with, but when I turned key......not even a click or a buzz, or a ???
so today I put in a boat battery tha was fully charged(cannot believe it fit perfectly), two squrts of gas in carb, pulled choke out fully,jiggled shifter to make sure it was in neutral, and yes--- as all good JD's with a good engine that sat in in a field with only milking cows for company for 3 yrs(maybe 4 said the former owner), STARTED BEFORE YOU COULD COUNT TO TWO!!!
I got so excited, I immediately thought, yep, this is the one I will finally keep......
of course id died after it used up the gas I pumped into carb.......but after about 4 or 5 tries like that, it now runs with choke fully out.....WOW !
My first 200 series, and I like it. heavy, well built, engine feels like it could pull a bus.......
I'm sure there are others out there that have or had one or two of these......likes, dislikes?????
Of course it is not a 332 or a 455, that I use weekly, but after running it for 1.46 minutes and driving it for at least 4 and a half feet, it already think it will be one of my favorites......
**********oh, I almost forgot, owner said engine was tired, so I thought it would smoke like a mosquito fogger, but no---- can I expect it to smoke later????

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG
  • 2.JPG

#2 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 11:31 PM

Sounds like you found a Great Deal. I have a couple 111"s; a 210 and a 317 nuthin runs like a deere. ( unless it be my old Sears 16/6 with twin 16 Onan)

#3 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 12:11 AM

I forgot to ask----the serial no is 062282M ---so was it made in 1976?

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 04:38 AM

Looks like a keeper to me.
Isn't it funny how "love at first start" happens?

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 06:15 AM

Congrats on the tractor. Looks like a good worker once you get the bugs ironed out. You'll have to wait until the engine has run long enough to get up to full temp. but if it doesn't smoke much when started or afterwards chances are it's not a bad smoker. However I have a 314 with a 14hp kohler that doesn't smoke much but has a cracked block. It still runs pretty well but leaks oil through the cylinder. These are tough engines! You should probably invest in a head gasket and pull the head to have a look at the valves, piston etc.

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 06:15 AM

Doesn't look as bad as one would think of a tractor sitting outside for any length of time , good deal :thumbs:

#7 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 08:12 AM

Definitely an early 210 with the side screens instead of luvers. Congrats!

#8 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 08:23 AM

I forgot to ask----the serial no is 062282M ---so was it made in 1976?

Yes, it's a 1976.

#9 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 08:59 AM

thanks all....
so I did learn how to read a serial no. correctly...ha, ha,.....
just looked outside----and it is starting to rain :mecry: so I guess my 'maiden voyage around our yard' is on hold.....sigh....
oh I do have one more question....in manual I down loaded from site---(before they had to be removed), it says do not use gasoline additives?---why would that be, and can I use sea foam?

I know we all like to know how much someone paid for their 'find', and I completely forgot-----asking $150---but got it for $130.---now I know that in the US that is probably the average price for one in good working condition with 3 attachments-LOL-, but here in Canada, it is usually the price of one of the side panels---needing some restoration----no kidding....

by the way, I did the seat on the 116 by stripping the foam etc, then sprayed it with bedliner and then yellow----turned out great----

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 09:59 AM

I think you can use Sea foam without any problems. Lots of guys have used it. Not sure why the manual would say that. Remember the manual was written in the 70's. I feel your pain about the high prices up here. The deals I see from south of the border make my mouth water.

#11 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 11:28 AM

Seafoam is fine in the K series but know there is a potential side effect - I lost a head gasket when the Seafoam removed the carbon in the combustion chamber.

#12 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 03:39 PM

thanks,
that makes sense, I guess to try to avoid that--maybe tightening up the old gasget might buy it time?
anywhooo....
on the lighter side----I'm siphoning the old gas out to see how bad it is, and I look and the thing is 'red'? so I immediately thought oh oh, maybe I should not have used sea foam----but as soon as the senior moment passed, I realized aahhhh, 'I bought this thing from a farmer'------purple gas----