22 replies to this topic

#16 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 06:36 PM

downloaded single cylinder L head manual, it says to perform a compression test using a leak down tester, thats awesome. however i dont have $320 for that tool, which is what that tool is selling for on EBAY

#17 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 08:39 PM

You can borrow this tool at Autozone or O-Rielly's. Any of the major auto parts stores loan them out. You may be able to do a ring and valve job on it.

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 09:11 PM

I will try to get a compression reading in a day or so from my Unico 15, which is an MTD 990 series. The Briggs "Easy Spin" system drops the compression during cranking, so comparing a compression reading from a known good engine should give you an idea as to whether your compression is adequate or not.
You said you took the carb apart...... so did you get the emulsion tube out ok? It is the tube from under the main jet that runs at an angle from the lower body into the upper carb body. Some try to leave the tube in & work the lower & upper body apart and think they did ok, but almost always, the tube will be ruined.
I'll get that reading asap, then we can go from there.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#19 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 10:18 PM

you mean the tube that extends through the bottom of the carburator the tube that goes in behind the high speed needle. yes i did remove that. i broke the body apart with some light taps and then removed the tube. tube came out easy and was not ruined. i really think this engine requires an overhaul. i will see what he wants to do with it. i think he would just like to find another good engine. i say good luck to that. there arent even that many of these engines around anymore neverless too many around that do not need overhauls. i think most engines of this vintage have been run within an inch of their life and require being bored out or honed, valve jobs, possible crankshaft work and undersized rods. they can be rebuilt but i dont know if he wants to spend the money. this tractor is in far too nice condition to simply park it on the "hill" (his junkyard) and let it rot away. if it was mine i would think about repowering with a more modern vanguard V twin.

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 09:21 AM

The problem with putting in any V-twin is you would have to use a different fuel tank. Not enough room to put a twin in there with the stock tank.

#21 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted May 30, 2012 - 10:19 AM

'the boss" said go ahead and do the overhaul. i wonder what this is going to cost. nice when its not my money. never did a briggs but i will do this to the best of my ability. i have done several kohler's and if they are anything alike it wont be too bad.

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 30, 2012 - 10:41 AM

Very similar to a Briggs, but differences. You should have no problems handling it. Not had time to do a compression check, but doesn't matter now anyway.

#23 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted May 30, 2012 - 11:31 AM

well with that piston moving around in the bore i would say that its pretty worn out. what is the best tool to be using to remove the flywheel? is the harmonic balance puller a good tool to be using? or should i use something else?