22 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 08:57 PM

now my friend gets me something else to work on. this one appears to be a mtd 900 series. it says its an agway hydro 16. it appears to be an older Briggs and stratton cast iron engine, you know the type of cast iron engine that they quit making years ago. this machine has tall tires on it, and it sits up higher then your typical garden tractor, in today's market it would probably be considered a sub compact utility. anyways this machine seems like its in really nice shape but has been partially dissembled. the engine has been removed and i dont know much about it. it does look like the block and head were repainted (i know the head shouldnt really be painted but then again i didnt do it). i dont really know a whole lot about the state this engine is in, im guessing it was perhaps rebuilt and the job was never finished. the fuel system is there and it is complete.i dont know if this engine is going to produce spark. it seems like the coil is mounted under the blower housing but the points and condenser are externally mounted. i dont know allot about these briggs i haven't worked on too many of them. in the older stuff kohler's are much more common. my task is to put this thing back together and get it running again. looks like a fun challange and learning experience, quite a bit different then your typical john deere or cub cadet powered by a kohler. i like the cubs dont get me wrong but this machine is different, different is cool. its also the first time i have seen or worked on a 900 series and it seems like its allot more stout then anything i would ever expect from MTD. when i think mtd i think mostly junky lawn tractors except the 800 series which i find to be fairly well built but not a true garden tractor in the real definition of a GT. this 900 series seems to be a really heavy duty machine. in fact my friend thought it was a case, i told him a case would say hydrive on it and not hydro. it does seem to be big and beefy like a case.

anyways what should be my plan of attack with this project. i have never seen one of these tractors together and running before. seems like i have all of the parts to make it work. should i try to crank this engine on the garage floor before i install it in the tractor since the coil is mounted under the blower housing and access would require removal of the engine again. it seems to have compression but i dont know anything else about it.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,297 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 04:52 AM

Well, this should keep you off the streets for a day or three. :)

Yeah, I would say to get the engine running first before assembly. Take the mag, etc off and clean the mount points well (ground) also clean the pickups, magnets on the flywheel, replace condenser (if it's under the housing and not with the points) and make sure everything has good contact in there.

Having to pull the engine just because of a bad wire or a little corrosion (to be blunt) sucks.

The points will need cleaned, but that's OK. Careful playing with the points, the arm really isn't mounted in there, just held in by spring tension and can flip off it's pivot pretty easy.

Once you get the ign system together, watch it... It'll near on make a lightning bolt when right. Hurts when it bites you.

Oh, one more thing, how's the compression?

:wewantpics:

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 06:04 AM

You are not the only one who has been surprised by the size of a 990. They were a true garden tractor. My only advice would be to check everything on that engine before attempting to start it. You have no idea why it was taken out of the tractor or what work was completed so don't trust anything to chance. I'd have the head off it for a look see at least. That will mean investing in a new HG but it would be worth it IMO. Good luck with it.

#4 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 06:23 AM

what did briggs and stratton designate these engines as. for example the cast iron kohler is known as the K series. i am not going to get it running before i install i am going to hook the SG up to a jump pack and check it for spark. if i have spark i am comfortable i can do the rest of the work in the tractor (clean carburetor). i spin the flywheel over by hand and it rebounds so it seems like it has some compression. i dont know if my friend wants to remove the head, he likes to do things on the cheap. the only thing i can do is listen to it cranking, start it, allow it to run at a low RPM and listen for any trouble. i think this engine was rebuilt and the job wasnt finished.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 06:56 AM

Understood. If you have access to an inspection camera you could have a look inside the cylinder without taking the head off. In fact if you remove the plug and look at the top of the piston you could tell if it's been recently cleaned of carbon or replaced.

#6 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 12:51 PM

well here is an update. i installed a starter generator belt and cranked it on the garage floor. no spark, cleaned points got a good hot spark. i poured a little gas in the combustion chamber and cranked it. it fired for a few seconds, so i know it will run. i reinstalled engine in tractor, and left the carburetor in the soaking cleaner pale. i left for a few hours and im going back to get it running in a few minutes. this is only a part time job but i love it. im getting paid to bring old vintage iron back to life. cant believe i get paid to do this, feels like im stealing because it doesnt really feel like work. work is supposed to suck and this doesn't. i think this is going to be a cool tractor, wish he had a deck for it. this machine gives me a new respect for MTD, well at least respect for what they used to make. now they make mostly junk shiny new, plastic, and tin JUNK. this 900 series machine is worth the ultimate respect. hope to have it running this afternoon. he is going to throw me an extra $25 if i drive around his garage once before the afternoon is complete. i plan on meeting his challenge.

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 01:23 PM

There are several manuals uploaded for the 990, here are a few for you to look at. If you know which model 990 you have, there are different manuals for different sreis of the 990. I hope this helps.

Here is the operations manual for the 990,
http://gardentractor.../3609-143-990a/

Here is the maintianance and parts manual for the 990
http://gardentractor.../3599-140-990a/

Here is the service manual,
http://gardentractor.../3611-144-990a/

Here is the link to all the MTD manuals, just loos for the ones ou need and download them..
http://gardentractor...ategory/14-mtd/

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 01:27 PM

If you need any photos in perticular, just ask. Mine is sitting right out in frint of the garage and I'll get what I can for you.

Here's a ink to mine,
http://gardentractor...ydro-new-to-me/

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 02:48 PM

My 990 is a Model 145-990-062 if that helps.

And this is the engine number,

2012-05-27_13-09-50_128.jpg

#10 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 04:18 PM

i think i have some not so good news on that briggs. it will fire but refuses to run at any more then pop pop pop pop pop. i think the rings are fried. when i had it firring on the garage floor i really thought it would run. it fired and i thought i was good. usually when something fires it will run. anyways while it was firing i had massive blowby it almost looked like exhuast smoke that was coming out of the breather. i pulled the head after my friend gave me the ok and i think the piston is severely worn. i could see the rings if i looked down the sides of the piston, i dont think you should be able to see the rings, im not 100% sure on that though. how can i make sure that im making the proper diagnosis. what is the most effective way to check compression on one of these engines, since im guessing that it has automatic compression release. i have rebuilt several kohlers but never a briggs. i have worked on briggs ignitions and fuel systems but never rebuilt a briggs. how do these engines compare to kohlers in longevity? how about rebuild costs and are the parts still available? dont know how far my friend wants to go on this machine but if he doesnt want to do an overhaul and i can get it cheap should i try to get the tractor? i would do the overhaul for him if that's what he wanted me to do but the older briggs engines are kind of like uncharted territory for me.

i do know that it puts off enough compression to blow my finger off of the hole but it might not be enough for it to run. this engine might have been pulled because it running poorly or smoked allot.

also how old is this tractor? what is the availability of attachments like decks, how about parts. he didnt get the deck for it, the tractor does have the 3pt setup with drag links however.

#11 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 04:39 PM

by the way even with gas dumped right into the cylinder it will still only pop pop pop pop, but not run. if it was carburation it would run until the gas in the cylinder is exhuasted and then it would quit. it will not actually run at all. blowby out of breather is also a bad indication i think, looks like exhaust almost.

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 04:42 PM

Parts are available for most all the Briggs, I will say this, I don't like Briggs nearly as well as I do K-series Kohlers. But I must also say that there are probably more big Briggs on Outdoor Power Equipment then there are Kohlers. I think that the big Briggs engines are as tough as the Kohler, my thing is that I haven't owned very many Briggs. There are several members here who own Gt's with Briggs and we don't hear much out of them about having problems. I think that if you take care of an engine, it really doesn't make any difference whether it is a Briggs, K or M Series Kohler, Onan, or even TEC. engines. They all have been used for years.

I think that engine is the same engine that Simplicity- A/C used through out their production. You may find one that way also.

I see attachments for sale on C/L and Ebay for the 990's, so it's out there.

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 04:44 PM

Do you have the model number of the tractor or engine?

#14 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 05:30 PM

where are the model id plates located on this machine. i cannot find the number on the briggs engine, usually its located at the top of the blower housing near the head. i dont see any numbers there. me, personally i like briggs and kohler both. i have owned several quantum engines, they are the smaller briggs lawnmower sized engines. i have one on a pressure washer that gets used weekly no problem ever with that engine. i know it doesnt get as much run time as a tractor, but for an cheap little 6hp engine it has seen allot of use, its a 1998 engine. i also have a flathead twin that still runs pretty good. its a 1994 engine, uses very little oil for the 1,080 hours that are on that engine. there were some really cheap briggs engines that were junk and didnt last very long, mainly the cold bore non-i/c engines but they were made as cheap throw away engines anyways.

#15 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 06:22 PM

so back to my original question. does it sound like this engine is worn to the point of requiring rebuild and that's why it refuses to run. i took carburetor apart, soaked in cleaner, sprayed with can to get residue from cleaning tank off. i have good spark at spark plug gap. engine has compression but may not be enough for it to run. any ideas on this engine?