Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

New Guy Here... Mower Deck Alignment Issue...! I Think..?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jd265 OFFLINE  

jd265
  • Member No: 9989
  • 2 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 07:30 PM

Hey all,
Gotta love finding a forum on John Deere tractors, this is great.
We have an '89 265 Hydrostatic with the 17 HP Kaw engine, mower deck and we used to plow with it then we purchased a Grizzly to take that chore as we get quite a bit of snow… I still keep a plow on it but just to clean up vs. doing the primary duty. Wheel weights and chains, sweet rig.

My Wife actually bought it for me new for Christmas in ‘89. What a girl..!

I did not even mount the mower for several years, I wanna say maybe more than ten years before I hooked it up and it has really seen little use…

I will try to make this a short story but the issue is complicated.

Well, last year it tossed a mower drive belt at the end of the year so I took the deck off and really did not think much of it until this Spring when I went to put a new belt on.
I put a new belt on it and it tossed another one. That is when I discovered what caused the belt to be spit out…

This time the rear dual pulley crashed into the front of the hydro unit and bent the channel for the belt rendering it unusable. Those are spendy huh…?

The entire deck looks to be set rearward enough (Duh, hence the crash..) to drive that pulley hard into that housing. But why…?

Well, I measured and looked under the tractor and measured some more on the deck, bought new rear hanger brackets and front adjustable tie bars and that read dual pulley. The rear bracket bushings were a little warn but nothing that would cause that much movement.

When I installed the new front bars I adjusted them tighter as to pull the deck forward and the pulley Still hits that hydro housing.

The only other thing that I see is that the mounting points of the rear hangers may be slightly tilted forward which, in my limited knowledge of trigonometry suggests that there might be the issue. However, there is no way that those mounts have been bent, they are ¼ angle and the welds do not appear to have been comprised. There are no other signs of the deck being bent

I am not going to put the new belt on just to trash it until I figure this out but I am out of ideas here.
Any advise or ideas what could be causing this alignment issue is most welcomed. I can post photos if need be…

My most sincere apologies for such a long winded first post.

Thanks very much,
Rob

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 09:56 PM

Rob, thanks for the intro.
Sorry to hear Your GT is sick. I don't know much about JD, just wanted to say :welcome: to GTTalk.

As for the pics, they are never a bad thing. Sometimes even simplify the situation.
Good luck.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 03:43 AM

Welcome! I'm not a JD guru, so it's a bit hard to visualize your issue. Hopefully a JD guy will chime in to help you out!

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 11:03 AM

Welcome to GTTalk JD. Yes pictures will always be helpful in figuring a problem out. Hopefully one of the JD guys will be along shortly with some idea's.

#5 jd265 OFFLINE  

jd265
  • 2 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 11:57 AM

Hey, thanks all,
I just now realized that there are specific forums here... I get it now. Little slow ta-day I guess.

I posted this down in the JD Section...

Best,
Rob

#6 jd265 OFFLINE  

jd265
  • 2 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 07:02 AM

I have talked with the dealer and I may just have to have them take a look at it. I do not have the manual for the deck either so I'll have them get me one...

Photos show the dual pulley without the top (drive) belt and how close to the hydrostatic drive housing that it is.

Nothing on the deck that I can see is damaged or distorted enough to cause this rearward position. I am kinda stumped. Looks like it is time to pay 72 bux an hour to have the shop take a look...

Thanks,
Rob

From the right side....

Posted Image

From the left side ...

Posted Image

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 07:37 AM

That is a little tight isn't it? I wonder if you're dealing with cumulative wear. A little here, a little there and it's adding up.

Edit: JD's aren't known for frame cracks or issues with them but I wonder. Is there any way something like this could be allowing the deck to move back?

#8 jd265 OFFLINE  

jd265
  • 2 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 07:31 PM

I wonder if you're dealing with cumulative wear. A little here, a little there and it's adding up.

Well I think I found it and yes it really was a cumulative error situation…

I had replaced the deck hangers that were not deformed what so ever and the bushings where there was a little wear but not enough to make a difference however, the two front adjustable rods were out of shape enough and they seemed to be the culprit… When I hung the new ones I adjusted them up much tighter than the originals.

The pulley was still dangerously close to the hydrostatic drive housing so I spent some more quality time under the rig, confirmed that the stops to the belt tensioning system was set up properly but I decided to install the belt anyway to see how that would affect the clearance.

Well, that did it.. With the belt installed and pulled up tight all is well again. Pulling that assembly up tight pulled the pulley far enough away from the drive unit to pleae me...

I went out and mowed quite a bit this afternoon, even took it through some rough stuff to see if the deck would shift and toss another belt. Nope.

I think it came down to the front hangers though…

Hey, thanks for puttin’ up me while a messed with this issue, this was driving me nuts...!

My JD is back to normal.

Best,
Rob
  • MH81 said thank you

#9 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 09:40 PM

It's a good thing you got this figured out, these deck issues can be more difficult than anything else ot get just right. I used to mow with my 317, but after adjusting the deck every single time out, I sold the deck and bought a junk mower.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 09:40 PM

Thanks for the follow up. Glad to hear it was something fixable and nothing super serious.

#11 jd265 OFFLINE  

jd265
  • 2 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 09:28 AM

Just another follow up.. I have used the 265 for two or three mowings now since the issue and we seem to be all set. I like my JD...

Best,
Rob