• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 03:47 PM

Last weekend, I had to take the grill, hood, bumper and all the engine tin off the '75 to remove a mouse house. Before that, it was only a few days since I used it! :wallbanging:

Today, I was going to mow. I turned over the 312-8 and out ran a good sized mouse. It wasn't enough to start the engine so I smacked the engine covers, and the body to try and remove the first one that came out. I thought they were all out so I started it and out ran another of about the same size. Then a second later out came half of a mouse. I knew they moved in so I had to take all the covers off before mowing. There must have been several living in there as there were a few more mouse parts. (I'm trying to give the whole story without to much gore) removing the mouse house delayed me some but I got it out. I used the WH last Saturday to mow and they already moved in! :wallbanging:

I know that the '71 has a house in it, there is some mouse-house material coming out of one of the covers. I will have to get them out tomorrow before they cause any electrical damage, if they haven't already. Again, I used the '71 on Wednesday! :wallbanging:

Just over a week ago I started up my neighbors '64 PK to drive it back to her house. It has been at my house for a while and when I turned it over, a mouse came out of the engine, and ran down the drive tube. It was sitting about two weeks prior to this, again I had to remove the engine covers to evict the mice. :wallbanging:

What are some things I can do to prevent them from moving in? Last year was a BAD year for mice around here and they still seem to be at it. I will have to get some poison and try to get rid of some of them. Since these are work tractors, and get used, what can I do to keep them out of my engines?

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 04:47 PM

Get a cat and don't feed it much. :laughingteeth:

In the past I have used Ropax bars bought from the local farm supply store. They work very well and the mice must think its candy because they really go through them.

http://www.animalhea.../ropaxbars.html

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 05:02 PM

Get a cat and don't feed it much. :laughingteeth:

In the past I have used Ropax bars bought from the local farm supply store. They work very well and the mice must think its candy because they really go through them.

http://www.animalhea.../ropaxbars.html

I agree on the hungry cat. Mine just passed on after 14 wonderful years of her bringing her catches in the house for us to thank her for. No mice nor lazy birds here!

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 05:09 PM

A cat actually is not a bad idea, BUT... I hate cats...

I got some poison, now to try and get these things away from my tractors!

#5 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 07:53 PM

Yeah, I have been battling mice also. Peanut butter and traps...got three just today.

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 08:05 PM

Build one of those mouse pickling traps. Sure beats playing with those spring traps.

http://www.tractorby...mouse-trap.html

That link, describes the build. It works great.

That whole live release concept, boggles my mind. I put about 1" of antifreeze in the bucket.

Edited by IamSherwood, May 26, 2012 - 08:05 PM.

• caseguy and Ryan313 have said thanks

#7 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 09:26 PM

mice are a real pain. i have removed quite a few from allot of different tractors, sometimes going to quite a bit of hassle to remove blower housings.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 09:27 PM

Last year was mice...this year it's squirrels! The Walnut tree in my yard had a bumper crop two years in a row and then the mice moved into the barn. I couldn't get rid of all of them. I trapped a couple in rat traps and a couple in a similar set up to what was described in that link. A couple of Walnuts was the only bait needed...and the real treat was that the squirrels put the bait in themselves!

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 11:53 AM

I took off everything on the '71, only to find nothing! It must have been an old one that was making its way out. At least there was nothing living in it at the moment.

Will, I like that idea. I will have to set some of those up.

#10 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 07:40 PM

A few years ago, the mouse population was real high. I set some of those traps
up, in the boat storage sheds. In the spring, I found buckets of mouse soup.
The good part about using the antifreeze, is that they get pickled, and not all
stinky and mushy and gross.