14 replies to this topic

#1 rosco OFFLINE  

rosco

• Member No: 732
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 11:38 AM

Hello,
I'm new to the site and new to the world of fixing/maintaining tractors. Recently I purchased a used Bolens H16 primarily for mowing about an acre of lawn...but I also love to do garden work with my family so I hope to make this useful there too. And we do get a lot of snow...and I do cut some wood, drag stuff around... :)

For starter I have to admit I'm a little embarrased by my limited knowledge of things mechanical but that's where it is...and I need a little help to get things started.

I want to do an oil change. I've looked everywhere on the web & manual but can't find if these things use an oil filter. Also I can't find the drain plug. I do see a long (3-4") bolt coming down from the block toward the front (driver's side, so to speak). I don't know if that a custom fashioned drain plug or if it's stock. Or whether it's a drain plug at all.

I want to check/change the hydrostatic transmission fluid. But can't find the dipstick/drain plug. Once found, it uses type A auto tranny fluid?

And the Differential(in the rear) uses sae90 gear lube which I fill to the plug level?

I know this must sound so basic but any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance! And I look forward to learning tons from you guys!
-Rosco

Edited by rosco, July 02, 2010 - 01:18 PM.

#2 Rick OFFLINE  

Rick

Tractorholic

• Member No: 344
  • 15 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 11:49 AM

What motor is on your tractor?

#3 rosco OFFLINE  

rosco

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 12:49 PM

On the engine:
Hh160 - 170056
ser 53 24e

Tractor Model# 1656
Ser# 03004672010-06-10yy 260..jpg

And for better or for worse...here's the only real problem that I notice...an oil leak on the top part of the engine. Does this look serious?
Otherwise the tractor seems to operate just fine.
Thanks.2010-06-10yy 261..jpg

Edited by rosco, July 02, 2010 - 01:23 PM.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 02:33 PM

Welcome to the Forum, Rosco :welcometogttalk:

These do not use an oil filter. For changing the oil I recomend that you run the engine first and get the oil warmed up. Get a pan and wrench ready while the engine is running so that when you shut off the engine you can take the drain plug out and drain the oil.

Here is a pic of where the drain plug is located: sorry for the blurry image but I took this with the camera:

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled..jpg

• rosco said thank you

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,643 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 02:43 PM

The leak at valve area is bad if it leaks very much. Looks like you need new push rod tube seals, and a new valve cover seal when/if it gets to leaking too much. That may be an accumulation over a long period of time, so may not be a serious leak at the moment. As to lube in the hydro, I better leave that to Brian, as I'm not a Bolens guy. Welcome to GTT by the way!:wave:

Edited by olcowhand, July 02, 2010 - 02:59 PM.
Cuz I wuz wrong! lol

• rosco said thank you

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 02:49 PM

Here's a quick diagram of the tranny and fill/drain plug and filter. [ATTACH]3172[/ATTACH]

Here is a link to the full repair manual: Go to page 96 and you will see info on the transmission
Posted Image

As for fluid the manuals says to use type A

Attached Thumbnails

• jj..jpg

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 02:53 PM

You do not need to put in 90wt gear oil in the tranny. Thats only for the gear driven tractors :thumbs:
Just use the Type A Fluid for the tranny :)

#8 rosco OFFLINE  

rosco

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 04:53 PM

I was expecting an answer like this.
I'm just knocking down and away one confusion at a time.
Thanks!!

#9 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 05:27 PM

Welcome to GTT rosco. This is a good forum, with some great people, that are always willing to help out!
  • rosco said thank you

#10 rosco OFFLINE  

rosco

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 11:42 PM

The leak at valve area is bad if it leaks very much. Looks like you need new push rod tube seals, and a new valve cover seal when/if it gets to leaking too much. That may be an accumulation over a long period of time, so may not be a serious leak at the moment. As to lube in the hydro, I better leave that to Brian, as I'm not a Bolens guy. Welcome to GTT by the way!:wave:

When you write "...if it leaks very much..." what would you say is very much? The leaked oil around there does seem somewhat fresh.
If it needs the repairs that you mentioned, do you think that's something a semi-competent newbie could take on with some basic tools?

Also I left the mower in the up position and even after a few hours I noticed that it stayed up. The following day I checked and it had come down to touch the ground. Should I be concerned?

Thanks and have a very nice weekend y'all.
-Rosco

Edited by rosco, July 02, 2010 - 11:48 PM.

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 03, 2010 - 07:07 AM

Are you having to add oil to it?
What you can do is wipe off all the oil around the area and then use the tractor for a bit and when your done check if there is fresh oil that has leaked out

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,643 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 03, 2010 - 08:36 AM

If you have to add oil each use, then it's too much. If you can watch oil dripping off the engine...it's too much. No major tools required to repair. The only slightly technical tool would be a clearance gauge to set the valves. Best thing to do is wipe it good & dry, then let her run stationary & see if you can find where the leak is coming from. If it's just the valve cover, then a VERY EASY fix. Take the cover retainers loose, & remove old gasket & replace. May not be easy finding the new gasket, but I would just get "rubberized cork" gasket material & cut your own. But, it appears as it's coming from the push rod tubes where they meet the valve rocker box.
NO concern on the lift. It's just bypassing overnight...normal.

#13 rosco OFFLINE  

rosco

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 05, 2010 - 11:12 AM

Yup, it "leaks very much". I mowed for about an hour and I went from full to past low on the dipstick.
I will clean it up and try to figure out where it's coming from.
Thanks for the guidance so far.

#14 rosco OFFLINE  

rosco

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 10:57 AM

Update. Upon closer inspection and testing it doesn't leak nearly as much as I wrote in the past post. At the rate that it's leaking it would take about 4 -5 hrs of operation to go from top line where it says 'safe' on the dipstick, to the bottom line. Per the many suggestions here I thought about cleaning up the area of the leak but that would require taking apart a whole bunch of panels and stuff and I have not been able to make time for that work. I will find out where and what's leaking...just not right now. Question: Is there any harm in running it the way it is and making sure to keep the oil level near full at all times? I think that's how the former owner ran it. Also when the motor's been running hot there's a whiff of smoke when I open the oil cap. Is that normal?
Otherwise, I love how the tractor runs and cuts and clears. Pretty solid machine if not for that oil leak.
Thanks!

#15 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 02:19 PM

If you dont have time to get into fixing it, I think that as long as you always keep checking the oil and keeping it at the full mark you should be fine. The most important thing is that you have your oil at the proper level.
  • rosco said thank you