sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 02:12 PM

I was spraying some primer yesterday on a part (while talking on the phone and not paying attention)....a gust of wind came up and blew some of the primer in one of my eyes.....it was just a tiny bit so I waited a few minutes till I got back to where I could get to water....I cleaned it about 6 times throught out the evening....starting with water then later with eye wash.....well I woke up about 2:30 am and it was pretty scratchy/rough......I started to get a little worried so I headed down to the local hospital emergency room....( I felt this was for peace of mind for me but wanted to be sure).....so you can imagine the place was full...the nurse welcomed me and warned me that the local clubs had closed and they were pretty stacked up with patients so be prepared to wait a while.....I was told by one of the staff that it usually got hopping after the local clubs closed up......anyway.....4 1/2 hours later I left.....eye was fine.....he said probably had gotten burned (white part of edge of eye) with the spray and would be scratchy for a couple of days.......gave me some salve with an antibotic to put in my eye.......

Moral here.....wear some type of eye protection when painting or grinding......even if it is for a brief second......also don't go to the emergency room tll about 7:00am.....the new shift is coming on and the club members have been patched up and are home by now sleeping it off.

I had alot planned to do today in the shed.....but have spent most of the day recuperating from my ordeal. Hopefully I have learned my lesson with out permanately damaging my eye!

Have fun....just be safe!

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 02:41 PM

Sorry to hear about your mishap. It's all too easy to get spray in your eye. I wear glasses and that has saved me many times from getting sprayed by any number of spray cleaners that I use at work. Most often with those it's the spray bouncing back in your face that happens. Safety glasses are something I wear a lot more than I used to and it's mostly because of the safety culture at work.
Emerg can be a zoo almost any time here. One large hospital serving 250,000 people and it can get pretty busy. Glad you're OK and recovering!

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 02:56 PM

Chris, Glad your eyes are OK. I had some carburetor cleaner get in my eyes yesterday, it blew up around my safety glasses. Sorry you had to wait on all the party goers before you got to see the Doc.. Get some rest and you still have 2 days left in your weekend!! :dancingbanana:

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,521 Thanks
  • 3,914 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 03:28 PM

Glad to hear the eyes will be ok. Those ER places drive me crazy, it seems if you aren't bleeding out across their floor you will wait hours. And it seems sometimes they want to keep a person so quick, don't want to let you sleep in your own bed.

#5 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 05:01 PM

Glad to hear the eyes will be ok. Those ER places drive me crazy, it seems if you aren't bleeding out across their floor you will wait hours. And it seems sometimes they want to keep a person so quick, don't want to let you sleep in your own bed.

You must have some good insurance..Around here you could just have days to live and they send you home and tell you to call your family doctor in the morning. :confuse:

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 05:13 PM

I am also very happy to hear your eyes are ok. I always wear glasses when grinding and such, but never when I am painting.

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 05:28 PM

I am also very happy to hear your eyes are ok. I always wear glasses when grinding and such, but never when I am painting.

Sure hope you learned a lesson. Always were eye protection on matter what you are doing.

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 06:13 PM

Eye protection is a great thing to have handy. I'm glad you will be ok.

The ER's here are just as bad. Recently, one was expanded by twice as much space, same minimal staff. Hmmm something wrong there.

#9 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 08:50 PM

Glad to hear that it wasn't serious Chris! I had a similar experience with welders flash once. Waited several hours to be given some salve and told that I should take a few days off of work (like any of us can afford THAT). I hope that you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

#10 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 09:40 PM

Thanks everyone! Yes I have learned my lesson......eye protection and also using my masks for the wire brushing etc that I am doing!!

#11 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,477 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 09:57 PM

Glad to hear you're doing good Scott, and sounds like you've learned a valuable lesson. Rest up, and don't push yourself too hard, too early.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 04:03 AM

Glad no permanent damage. Loosing the day to something like this is a bummer, but loosing some eyesight would've been much worse.

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 04:07 AM

Might want to wear the dark glasses out in the sun for a few days. The bright light can irritate it some! Good luck on the healing!