Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 02:29 PM

swapping various implements around.

Neighbor just had surgery and asked if I would till his garden, which of course I was more than happy to say yes.

Since I had just finished putting the 3-pt on the 1886. I put on the 3-pt to sleeve hitch adapter and mounted the cultivator. I figured I'd dig up the garden a bit with that and then till it with the 1256 and round back tiller. That didn't happen as he still has a bunch of 'stuff', like corn stalks, etc. laying in the middle of the garden and all the cultivator would have done is rake it off.

While I was there though, he asked if I could back fill a big hole that they had dug in his back yard, which again, I was more than happy to do with the FEL. Nothing a little 'play time' :D

So, back to the house, where I pulled the sleeve hitch off of 'Ole' Ugly, and put the round back tiller on it so I could till the neighbor's garden. That didn't go well, and something in the tiller shaft area was getting hot, so that attempt was aborted.

Well, back to the house again where I pulled the 3-pt back off of the 1886 and attempted to mount the big square back tiller. Now, I had it on the 1886 once before, but I had NOT put the PTO shaft on. Why Bolens, WHY did you not make those PTO tiller shafts telescoping? I 'did battle' with that thing for over an hour, and finally just gave up on it.

Since I still had some time left, I pulled the Haban Sickle-Mo off of the G10, since I was wanting to put it on the 1256, so I can do some mowing down at the airfield where I'm flying sailplanes. After that I called it a day.

Now, all of that was Tuesday. Wednesday was for flying sailplanes :D

So, today, I went back out, and prepared to 'do battle' with that cursed square back tiller. This time, I changed the way I was trying to get the shaft on, and danged if it didn't slide on in the first couple of minutes. I figure it did that just to lull me into a false sense of security though, and am betting that the next time it will probably foil me again.

I also decided that tilling that garden is going to have to wait until we get some rain. It's been REAL dry here, and the ground is like concrete.

Now it was time to mount the Sickle-Mo, and it went on with no problems. Having a telescoping PTO shaft on it definitely made a difference.

Since the G10 was now nekkid', I decided to mount the MacKissic chipper/shredder. Once again, 'twas a pretty simple task.

Well. since it was mounted, I decided to see just what it would do with a couple of small branches I had laying around.

I fired it up, gave it full throttle, engaged the PTO, and dropped in the first branch.

Let me tell you...that chipper/shredder is SCCAAAARRRRRYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

The branch was about an 1" in dia, and maybe 3' long. That shredder grabbed it, said "GRRRUUUNNNNKKK", and it was done. Took maybe one second to do that. Chips went everywhere, out the top and out the bottom. Was a good thing that I was standing on the side. Safety goggles are DEFINITELY called for when using that rascal.

So that was the last couple of days. Gonna see if I can 'scare up' a Glider Club member with a trailer so I can get "Ole Ugly" down to the airfield either tomorrow or Sunday.

Edited by OldBuzzard, May 25, 2012 - 02:33 PM.

• KennyP and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#2 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 04:26 PM

Mr. Buzz, you are 'TheMan'. putting these machines to task is really what their meant for and it'sgreat to get the reports from the field, as they will help us newcomers to learn some of the do's and don'ts. Thanks and enjoy...what you do!

#3 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 04:43 PM

I've always been a big fan of the old tractors that are in their "working clothes".

All but one of my Bolens are "workers". The only exception being the G11, which at this point seems to be VERY rare. That one is going to get a full restoration and will be a "Trailer Queen".

The rest are, or are being, put into good mechanical/working condition. No repaints, ect. I am of the opinion that all of the rust, dents, scrapes, etc. have a story to tell, and it's worth preserving that.

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,696 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 04:45 PM

Glad to hear you had fun with The Bolens and their implements :D

I just have one question though..... Where are the pics and video!

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 04:57 PM

I've always been a big fan of the old tractors that are in their "working clothes".

All but one of my Bolens are "workers". The only exception being the G11, which at this point seems to be VERY rare. That one is going to get a full restoration and will be a "Trailer Queen".

The rest are, or are being, put into good mechanical/working condition. No repaints, ect. I am of the opinion that all of the rust, dents, scrapes, etc. have a story to tell, and it's worth preserving that.

Are you sayin' the new kid is gettin' the pampered treatment for now and is not likely to be pressed into service...yet

:poke:

#6 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 05:35 PM

Glad to hear you had fun with The Bolens and their implements :D

I just have one question though..... Where are the pics and video!

Well. I was thinking (I know, that can sometimes be dangerous), that I might just use the G10 (w/chipper/shredder) to grind up the corn stalks, etc. that my neighbor has left over from last year's 'crop' before I till it.

If so, you can rest assured that there will be a video.

As for pics, here are a few pics of the 'herd' ready to go 'do battle', just to whet your appetite:

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4199.JPG
  • 100_4194.JPG
  • 100_4200.JPG
  • 100_4196.JPG
  • 100_4195.JPG
  • 100_4197.JPG
  • 100_4198.JPG

• Bolens 1000, IamSherwood and speedyg have said thanks

#7 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 05:39 PM

That looks like a winning team!!! :thumbs:

#8 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 05:40 PM

Are you sayin' the new kid is gettin' the pampered treatment for now and is not likely to be pressed into service...yet

:poke:

Well, at this point, it appears that there are only THREE G11s known to be "in captivity". I'm sure that there are more out there, but as for us on the forums, we don't know where they might be.

#9 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 05:44 PM

good looking herd
i do have a question about the one that has the sickle on it. why is there a extra set of rims on the front or am i missing something?

#10 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 05:49 PM

good looking herd
i do have a question about the one that has the sickle on it. why is there a extra set of rims on the front or am i missing something?

I had the same question in mind! What's up there, Buzz?

#11 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 06:09 PM

good looking herd

I had the same question in mind! What's up there, Buzz?

:laughingteeth: :laughingteeth: :laughingteeth:

That there is CloudBurst IV, AKA 'Ole Ugly"

I got that from a semi-accidental bid on eBay. It was listed with a Sickle-Mo, deck, tiller, and blade. I put in a 'max bid' of $775.00, figuring that it would most likely go for $800.00+. I ended up winning the auction at $760.00.

A PO had made some extensions for the real wheels, and did the 'mod' on the front wheels.

You are right, it's two wheels welded together, with the tire mounted on the outer wheel.

Gives the tractor a pretty wide stance for stability, but it has the turning radius of the USS Ronald Regan :laughingteeth: :laughingteeth: :laughingteeth:

Oh, the rears are also 'loaded' with CaCl.

One of these days, I'll get around to getting a headlight for it. However, with the missing headlight, and the keeper swinging down like that, it does give it that "battle scared old tomcat" look :D

Edited by OldBuzzard, May 25, 2012 - 06:11 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#12 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 06:36 PM

Looks like it's ready for anything that comes along. Guess, as long as you have 40 acres, the wheels will stay that way!

#13 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 06:42 PM

and here i was thinkin you built a special set of tracks to run it on like a train

#14 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 07:03 PM

and here i was thinkin you built a special set of tracks to run it on like a train

LOL I was thinking the same :laughingteeth:

#15 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 07:06 PM

That is one Awesome looking group of Bolens!!! They all look like great work beasts!!!
Congrats on all of them!! :thumbs:
One las thing, Thanks for the pictures!! :laughingteeth: