Neighbor just had surgery and asked if I would till his garden, which of course I was more than happy to say yes.
Since I had just finished putting the 3-pt on the 1886. I put on the 3-pt to sleeve hitch adapter and mounted the cultivator. I figured I'd dig up the garden a bit with that and then till it with the 1256 and round back tiller. That didn't happen as he still has a bunch of 'stuff', like corn stalks, etc. laying in the middle of the garden and all the cultivator would have done is rake it off.
While I was there though, he asked if I could back fill a big hole that they had dug in his back yard, which again, I was more than happy to do with the FEL. Nothing a little 'play time'
So, back to the house, where I pulled the sleeve hitch off of 'Ole' Ugly, and put the round back tiller on it so I could till the neighbor's garden. That didn't go well, and something in the tiller shaft area was getting hot, so that attempt was aborted.
Well, back to the house again where I pulled the 3-pt back off of the 1886 and attempted to mount the big square back tiller. Now, I had it on the 1886 once before, but I had NOT put the PTO shaft on. Why Bolens, WHY did you not make those PTO tiller shafts telescoping? I 'did battle' with that thing for over an hour, and finally just gave up on it.
Since I still had some time left, I pulled the Haban Sickle-Mo off of the G10, since I was wanting to put it on the 1256, so I can do some mowing down at the airfield where I'm flying sailplanes. After that I called it a day.
Now, all of that was Tuesday. Wednesday was for flying sailplanes
So, today, I went back out, and prepared to 'do battle' with that cursed square back tiller. This time, I changed the way I was trying to get the shaft on, and danged if it didn't slide on in the first couple of minutes. I figure it did that just to lull me into a false sense of security though, and am betting that the next time it will probably foil me again.
I also decided that tilling that garden is going to have to wait until we get some rain. It's been REAL dry here, and the ground is like concrete.
Now it was time to mount the Sickle-Mo, and it went on with no problems. Having a telescoping PTO shaft on it definitely made a difference.
Since the G10 was now nekkid', I decided to mount the MacKissic chipper/shredder. Once again, 'twas a pretty simple task.
Well. since it was mounted, I decided to see just what it would do with a couple of small branches I had laying around.
I fired it up, gave it full throttle, engaged the PTO, and dropped in the first branch.
Let me tell you...that chipper/shredder is SCCAAAARRRRRYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!
The branch was about an 1" in dia, and maybe 3' long. That shredder grabbed it, said "GRRRUUUNNNNKKK", and it was done. Took maybe one second to do that. Chips went everywhere, out the top and out the bottom. Was a good thing that I was standing on the side. Safety goggles are DEFINITELY called for when using that rascal.
So that was the last couple of days. Gonna see if I can 'scare up' a Glider Club member with a trailer so I can get "Ole Ugly" down to the airfield either tomorrow or Sunday.
Edited by OldBuzzard, May 25, 2012 - 02:33 PM.