GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,156 Thanks
  • 1,330 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 12:07 PM

My cousin came by today and told me there was an old John Deere sitting at a yard sale a few miles away for $100. I jumped in the truck and drove out there a found a 1964 110 with the hydraulic lift deck. Ran good and everything worked, had straight tins and fair paint.

Problem was there was another guy there who had been there today twice to look at it. He offered $75 for it and the owner said no way. I told the owner I would give him $25 to hold it while I went after the trailer and more cash and the other $75 when I picked it up. The owner said OK and about a minute later the other looker said he would give him the hundred right then.

Definitely peed me off but I guess the old cash talks and bull manure walks is true. Then they asked me to help load it into the guys truck but I declined "due to my bad back".

Bill

#2 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 502 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 12:49 PM

Bill,
Don't sweat it...because as my buddy Mastifflawyer says...'there'll be more'. I know it is particularly disturbing, but stuff happens. Who knows what you'll find instead...but, without any question there will be more...

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 36,519 Thanks
  • 30,072 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 01:38 PM

Dang Bill, did they have nerve asking you to help load it after that! I would say maybe it was a blessing if something turned up wrong with it, but the hydraulics were worth more than the asking.

#4 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,910 Thanks
  • 5,289 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 01:46 PM

Dang! It's one thing to loose it over the phone but to loose while you looking at it has got to hurt. Oh well there will be more come along.

#5 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,546 Thanks
  • 2,550 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 02:23 PM

Bill, I wouldn't sweat it. If it makes you feel a little better, John Deere didn't start putting Hydraulic Lift on tractors until 1966, so if the tractor was original, it wasn't a 1964. Keep looking buddy, a better one will come along.

If it would of been me in that situation, and I would have the money, I would have told the seller I'd give him $250.00, just to see what the other guy would have done. After all, the tractor is worth at least that much, and if the other guy wanted it that bad, he would have to come back with a counter offer. I may not have gotten the tractor, but I would have felt better knowing that the other guy isn't getting the tractor for almost nothing! If he would have gotten the tractor for more than my offer, I probably would have helped him load it, while making the statement, "You know, I really didn't have the money to buy the tractor, and wouldn't have been able to pay more then $100.00, but at least you didn't get it for that."
  • TerryD and jpackard56 have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,390 Thanks
  • 29,103 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 06:15 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss Bill. Hope your back feels better.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 30,526 Thanks
  • 41,091 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 06:33 PM

Sorry for your loss here, also! Not often you come by a buy like that!

#8 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,837 Thanks
  • 1,434 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 07:53 PM

Bill, I wouldn't sweat it. If it makes you feel a little better, John Deere didn't start putting Hydraulic Lift on tractors until 1966, so if the tractor was original, it wasn't a 1964. Keep looking buddy, a better one will come along.

If it would of been me in that situation, and I would have the money, I would have told the seller I'd give him $250.00, just to see what the other guy would have done. After all, the tractor is worth at least that much, and if the other guy wanted it that bad, he would have to come back with a counter offer. I may not have gotten the tractor, but I would have felt better knowing that the other guy isn't getting the tractor for almost nothing! If he would have gotten the tractor for more than my offer, I probably would have helped him load it, while making the statement, "You know, I really didn't have the money to buy the tractor, and wouldn't have been able to pay more then $100.00, but at least you didn't get it for that."

I'm generally not a revengeful man, but that would have made my day :laughingteeth: Johndeereelfman you get the "priceless award" I am in a better mode after reading your quip, thanks
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,891 Thanks
  • 8,634 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 08:41 PM

Sorry to hear you didn't get it Bill, but sometimes things work out in your favor and just maybe there is a better deal right around the corner.

#10 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,719 Thanks
  • 2,926 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 09:22 PM

Sorry you lost out, got to remember the "bad back" line. I'd been eyeing a nice looking Massey only 1.5 hours from me but don't need another tractor. I emailed the guy anyway and it had "Sold!" Dad-burn it. I'll have to move quicker myself next time.

#11 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 11:09 PM

I almost bought a 318 basket case over the winter, but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. Two months later, after the lawn tractor budget had grown a bit more I came across an h1 140. Never got it either, but just wait. One of these days you will have your opportunity. I just figure there must have been something wrong with the 140 i looked at. That's why the stars weren't in alignment for you or me.

#12 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 08:19 AM

Johndeereelfman is right - hydraulic lift wasn't introduced until 1966. Also a 64 will have the 3 lug rear hubs and the 3 speed transmission. The 4 speed wasn't introduced until 1965.

To me, the seller should have honored his deal with you. He said ok and then let it go to the other guy a minute later. Not cool. At least you didn't leave and come back with your trailer and it been gone then.

#13 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,156 Thanks
  • 1,330 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 08:51 PM

I bought a little made in Germany pedal go-cart for the grandkids since one of the four year old grandsons was with me and he wanted the go-cart more than I wanted the 110. I told the guys wife that I would have paid them $200 for the 110 if I would have known it was an auction.

I would probably just have done a tune up and flip anyway. Way too many projects already.

Edited by GTTinkerer, May 27, 2012 - 08:53 PM.