29 replies to this topic

#1 cubman OFFLINE  

cubman

• Member No: 1815
  • 33 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 03:53 PM

Well
The first problem was, I lost 2nd gear. It was missing teeth, and I knew it. I thought maybe one , or two. I was fine using it with only 1st, and 3rd. I didn't find much difference between 1st and 2nd anyway.
The next thing was, the shifter seemed to feel different. It would swivel around 360 degrees, making it harder to select a gear. Finally, the she will not get into neutral, and basically stuck into 3rd gear. So in order to keep my lawn mowed, I bought a craftsman, and now am performing open heart surgury on my cub. I took a few photos. Anyone else have a similar experence, who could offer some friendly advice? I'll take any help I can find, because as far as transmissions go, I have no experence, and only a schematic to help me. In the second picture, you can see the shifting forks, and the third, the bad gear at the top.

Attached Thumbnails

• transmission 002.jpg
  • transmission 003.jpg
  • transmission 004.jpg
  • transmission 005.jpg

Edited by cubman, May 24, 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 04:34 PM

That has the look of a complete tear down and cleaning. Lucky for you, Cubs kept the same trans/rear for a number of years. Lots of available parts, though $ may change hands! How adept are you with tearing it down and getting it back together? Or would another trans/rear be an option?

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 04:48 PM

Sorry to hear that. Good luck getting it sorted out!

#4 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 05:07 PM

If you have the time and patience I am sure you can do the tear down and repair. It will be time consuming and worth the end result. Good luck with your Cub.

Geno

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 06:06 PM

It need to be completely disassembled and thoroughly cleaned. All of the metal needs to be flushed out of the bearings, if you don't all of the debris will eat the transmission up.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 07:34 PM

Always disheartening to see that kind of damage when you pull the lid off. Sorry to hear about your loss, but it sounds as if the parts may be an available item.

#7 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 08:19 PM

I would recommend getting a different transmission. They made so many of those Cub Cadets,whole rearends go for $100.

#8 cubman OFFLINE  

cubman

• 33 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 05:44 AM

Well, if I could find a rear end here where I live I'd consider buying it. I think for the time being, I'll take the entire unit, and put it on my work bench, and have a closer look. When I do tear it down, I'll document the entire process with pics, and keeps those interested updated.
  • MH81 said thank you

#9 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 07:01 AM

A video camera running during teardown is not a bad idea for exact count and location of shims and other parts. Have you looked in the manual section for a breakdown and rebuild info? I will look and see what I have.

Geno

#10 cubman OFFLINE  

cubman

• 33 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 03:45 PM

Yes, I found a parts manual on here, that will be helpful, here goes nothing!

#11 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 06:36 PM

Taking that apart and fixing it is not a bad job at all, even for someone with little experience doing it. The second gear from any gear drive IH Cub Cadet will work. You just need to be sure to get the right tooth count. If your second is almost the same as first you have the low speed second gear. This would be the factory gear for it. If you want to stay with this speed ratio I have a matched set of gears that I will sell that came out of my 100. If you want to go faster you can go with two other gearset combinations. There is an intermediate speed which was found in wideframes like a 128 and there was a higher speed from a 106/126. I have the higher speed set in my 100 as it was better for plowdays to keep up with other tractors. I have to say though that for mowing it is a hair too fast. Count your gear teeth on the gear that is chipped and this will tell me what ratio you have.

As for the problem with the gearshift you have the same problem that backwoods had a few weeks back. Here is a link to the thread. http://gardentractor...uple-questions/ If you follow the link to my comments I would bet you have the same problem as it is fairly common.
  • baldy347 and cubman have said thanks

#12 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 09:04 AM

i know where there is literally dozens of these transmissions, lol. this guy has been collecting this stuff since probably new. he has cub cadets that just about had trees growing through them. its literally an old graveyard for lawnmowers and small tractors. he also has 3 originals that all run and mow. you guys would flip your lid if you saw all of this stuff. he has a sears suburban deck that was never used (that one sits in his garage, he likes to brag about it). this deck literally has new paint underneath. someone spent allot of money on it only to never use it.

#13 cubman OFFLINE  

cubman

• 33 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 08:03 PM

It looks like 16 tooth, but I see the stock is listed as 19/26, but it's a 16/26

#14 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 08:33 PM

What you have is the low speed set which is what it should have. You have a 16 tooth sliding gear and a 36 tooth driven gear. This is what I took outta my 100. The high speed set is the 19 tooth sliding gear and a 33 tooth driven gear. The intermediate set is a 17 tooth sliding gear with a 35 tooth driven gear. I looked on Partstree and they show the low speed and high speed sets but not the intermediate set.

Just for reference the 26 tooth is the drive gear for Third gear (they list it with the 16/19 tooth gear as it is a single piece with both gears on it). Third is the same for all the models and will always be a 26 tooth.

Under edit I went back to partstree and they show all three. The high and low are listed under a 100, the high only is listed under a 122 and the intermediate is listed under a 128.

Edited by IHCubGuy, May 26, 2012 - 08:37 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#15 cubman OFFLINE  

cubman

• 33 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 02:10 PM

• ok someone point me in the direction where I don't have to pay an arm and a feg for one of these