• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 09:43 AM

I'd like to mount a winch on my John Deere's 210,214 and my other tractors. Now I have a Honda Fourtrax 300, and I am in process of mounting a winch on it but it requires several different things. Things, I don't see I would need on my GT's.

I have several reasons for wanting a winch on my GT's one being in the past I've had engine troubles and I couldn't get the tractor up the ramps into my work shop by myself. I'd have to wait until someone would come along to help, sometimes this could turn into weeks. Other reasons for wanting a winch, well it looks cool, and I do a lot of trim work and at times, I have needed to move a branch I just couldn't do by hand. I healthy person wouldn't have any troubles but me I have health issues so I need some extra help.

I had thought about making a mount for the winch, mount that could be removed pretty easy using JD's spring loaded technique. But, I am now thinking just mount it on the front bumper and all that is required is boring a couple of holes and bolts I could remove later on I suppose.

I'm not looking for anything fancy or looking to wire in solenoids or things like that, the winch would only come into play just during break downs or just when I needed some extra muscle.

I have Four winches, One 3000 pound winch I think is called Bad Lands, came from Harbor Freight I think. One 2000 pound winch Chicago Tools, again another Harbor Freight Winch, A 1500 pound Superwinch and a 2500 pound Warn Winch.

Actually believe it or not the cheap Chicago Tools and Bad Lands are made just as good if not better than the Super winch and Warn Winches. To be honest, I've had the CT winch the longest it's a good and well made winch got it Free several years ago. I bought the Bad lands winch off Ebay for $8 bucks and repaired it. It was an easy fix!

The Super Winch I bought off a guy on Ebay who was very honest about the winch. I paid $25 bucks for it and nothing was really wrong with that winch other than it needed new cable and cleaned. The wiring was all screwed up and once I cleaned it up and got the wiring sorted it's a great winch. Pulls my ATV around like a sack of taters. It only has about 25 feet of cable so you need some extra cable when you use it.

The Warn Winch I got off Ebay and again from a very Honest guy who had bought the winch and it came non working. So he offered it up to me along with some other items. I bought the winch for $35 bucks. That winch was missing parts, parts for anything that says WARN are so over priced and crap made I was shocked. At any rate I was able to repair that winch and get it going using the local hardware store and some American Boys Club engineering which is the way it should have been done in the first place.

Don't take me wrong about spending time talking about the winches I have I was just flapping off at the gums. And two I am letting folks know if you have a Winch, I am pretty well versed now in repairing them. Smaller ATV winches are sometimes easy to fix and cheap to fix. Anyone who has troubles, see me I might can help you out.

Now my questions isn't a matter of which winch to use but where to locate it and should I mount it by boring holes into my tractors, something I am having troubles wanting to do. I'd like to avoid that but the alternative is expensive. I have already checked with a guy to make the mount plate, and it's just out of reason for me to do that.

Being I will not be using it that often I do not want to spend a load mounting it. I also like to have the winch on the front and actually the winch would serve as some protection. I'd rather smash up a cheap winch than the front of my tractors!

What would you do? Would you even bother mounting one and if you did would you spend the extra money for a special mount? Or just bore two holes and be done with the mounting!

#2 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 10:17 AM

I don't know what equipment you have, if a welder is in that collection you can make a great mount without drilling holes in your GT. I have attached pictures of the mount I made and mounted using the holes for the grill to frame mounts. The grill on some Cubs like mine are cast iron and rather heavy and the bolt holes have nuts welded on the underside of the frame, so I knew they would be strong enough. The welds are not pretty as I was just learning my welder. I have used the winch a lot for raising and lowering the plow, but also for raising the front of the Cub for repair and maintenance.

So, if you have a welder and some steel you can make a sturdy mount to do anything the winch is strong enough to do.

Sorry the pics are not real clear.

Geno

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0299.JPG
  • IMG_0300.JPG
  • IMG_0301.JPG
  • IMG_0302.JPG

• maxedout said thank you

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 10:19 AM

Personally, I would rater make a mount. I don't like to drill holes or weld things to my tractors. If I had the material to make something, I would do that. Otherwise I would drill holes. You might be able to take a mount from another attachment and adapt it to your needs. I don't know alot about JD so I can't offer any advice on where exactly to mount it.

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 10:19 AM

Personally, I would rater make a mount. I don't like to drill holes or weld things to my tractors. If I had the material to make something, I would do that. Otherwise I would drill holes. You might be able to take a mount from another attachment and adapt it to your needs. I don't know alot about JD so I can't offer any advice on where exactly to mount it.

#5 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 12:33 PM

I came up with a solution, just use the rear hitch. I have a flat plate, mounted the winch, bored two holes in the plate, dropped in to bolts to act as stop bolts so the plate will only turn a certain degree before it hits the stops. Bored another hole for a drop pin or bolt. I am also going to add a bottom bar to stop the up and down and side to side motion. Easy enough and cheap, had all the necessary junk laying around to do it. Yea, it's not what I wanted but it does work and I can take the winch off in seconds by pulling the pin or bolt off.

You know, I hate to admit this but my kid suggested I just mount a winch in the shop, pull the tractor up the ramps and hey you are done. No wiring, no nothing just mount it to the back wall and I am off and pulling. Now why did I not think about that?

Well that wouldn't help me pulling limbs and things but hey it is a great idea.

#6 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 03:51 PM

have you considered mounting it on a receiver hitch and making the receiver tube to mount on the tractor , would make swapping from use to use real slick and quick. :thumbs:

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 06:00 PM

Make a mount in the garage to fit this and you're on your way. Then you can use it all over!

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 07:44 PM

With the several choices you have, I don't see a reason why you can't have the best of both worlds.

You already have the portable version about licked, you can pretty easily mount one of the others in the back of the shop and be able to pull in whatever. The 25' unit should be more than enough cable for that task.

#9 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 09:34 PM

I wanted to thank everyone and the pictures are awesome, gave me several ideas. I would've posted back sooner on the winch plans, and yes I considered a receiver mount, actually the plate I was talking about is based on that. It's on the notion of something called a Smart Winch, goes all directions.

I would have posted back sooner but I had to be taken to the ER at our local hospital. I've had some sort of problems going on with my middle back for years. Right before new years, I had surgery that went bad on a kidney stone, I lost life and was given CPR. Well for weeks and weeks before the surgery I started having really serious pain in my left hip. They thought it was from the stone and would go away when the stone was removed. That said, it hasn't gone away, in fact it has gotten so bad I can hardly walk at times. I've had x-rays, mri's and they aren't seeing the problem in my hip or my back. They've found problems but claim those problems wouldn't cause the pain I am in.

Today, my right hand went numb, my back was hurting so bad I couldn't bare it and my hip was hurting beyond measure. I am serious about the pain it was so bad I could hardly breath.

They gave me morphine 3 times and it never phased it and then a couple of other drugs I can't even think to spell also for pain. They also gave me something for swelling and that seemed to help enough I could walk on my own and they released me. I have to go to my family doctor in the morning. I have several tests sked'ed for the 29, and the 1st and on the 30th I go for my hearing for disability. I have tried since 06 to get my disability and I think in all fairness I should receive it, I worked from age 12 until I was 46 years old when I became so ill and hurt so badly I couldn't hold down a full time job. I tried part time and was released when they discovered I had bad problems. I've been unable to find work since I filed back in 06 for disability. It seems you get black listed when you get unable to work. That said someone needs to tell the idiots at the SSDI that when you have years of work, which believe this or not hurts me more than it helps. It also hurts me because I have attended High School and completed it. It also hurts me believe this or not because I attended Community College for Electronics. You would think someone who has worked hard their entire life wouldn't have years of legal issues to confront them when they are honest and have worked, paid into the system and never taken a free ride in my life.

That said, I shouldn't be posting all that but I wanted folks to understand why I didn't reply back and thank them for their efforts to help me earlier on. I am sorry, I just got upset and vented it out and now I am going to go to bed and hope I can relax enough I can stop hurting, so I can get my winch fixed up.

Little things like playing with a GT is something that helps keep pain off the mind and depression off the mind. Depression boys can sure kill you in a hurry and stress ain't much better.

Thanks guys for helping me and sorry about the venting I know this isn't the place but I live totally isolated from any friends and family except for my wife. I suppose that lead me here and my venting tonight.

Thank you.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 11:10 PM

Hope things settle down for you some. & don't worry about the venting, we all do it from time to time and we're all getting older.

Just like out beloved GT's, some wear is expected with use and things eventually break. Good luck with your hearing.

#11 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 11:36 PM

Have they tested you for lyme disease??? You are having some of the same issues as I am!!! I have been battling it for a long... time. It is always in a different part of my body, but for over a week it is in my back, hips and legs. I try not to take the pain meds, but I can hardly walk if I don't.

I am also like you in the sense that GT's help me deal with it. But lately I have been having a tough time getting anything done. The pain is just to bad.

I would Ask your Doc for a Lyme test, It couldn't hurt

Good luck!! I hope they get this figured out! And Vent any time you need!!! We are here for you.

#12 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 12:16 AM

Have they tested you for lyme disease??? You are having some of the same issues as I am!!! I have been battling it for a long... time. It is always in a different part of my body, but for over a week it is in my back, hips and legs. I try not to take the pain meds, but I can hardly walk if I don't.

I am also like you in the sense that GT's help me deal with it. But lately I have been having a tough time getting anything done. The pain is just to bad.

I would Ask your Doc for a Lyme test, It couldn't hurt

Good luck!! I hope they get this figured out! And Vent any time you need!!! We are here for you.

Well I couldn't sleep, so back here among friends, that's a good idea, I am not sure if I have been tested for that before. I've been tested for a lot of things, what's funny is one time they'll tell me I am diabetic, full blown, next time they'll tell me I have onset diabetic, one time they'll tell me I have narrowing in my neck, the part of my spine that goes into my neck and this causes random pain, the next time, they'll say oh this is just moderate. WTH heck is with these doctors? I've been all around to supposedly good doctors and they are like one time, they'll be this is the problem this what it is, next time around oh know who told you that, that isn't the problem. You can't count the doctors we've just got up and left because they've treated me like that.

Personally and not to knock another mans profession but some of these doctors have no business what so ever being in the medical fields. In fact some of them aren't qualified to work on my dogs ticks.

Some of them are not going to touch you, no matter how serious your problem might be or life threatening. We had a kidney doctor who would not and I Mean would not take a stone out of my kidney until we PAID up front around $1000.00 bucks and we had insurance and the co-pay according to the insurance should have been around $300 bucks or less. Our insurance company contacted his offices and even the Hospital contacted his office and he was sort of forced into taking $240 bucks because that's what the hospital said his cost should be. He still demanded more money and he is still sending us bills and my wife just takes them over to the hospital, they say just ignore them because we met the deductive.

#13 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 12:57 AM

I feel your pain! Been there done that. Now you know why they call Doctors "Quacks" lol.
As far as you getting back up, I dread laying down. The pain is worse when I do. So I stay up till the sun is coming up most days.

I do wish you luck though. I hope they find the problem soon.

I also Hope you start feeling well enough to work on your Gt again!

I will also say that between GT's and this site there really is no better medicine out there!

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 04:07 AM

Sorry to hear of the challenges you are facing, maxedout! I hope things go well with the hearing and the DR's soon. We all need to vent at times, so don't feel bad about that. You have the world's best support group right here, some truly awesome folks that are willing to offer help, no matter the problem!