Garden Tractor Forums banner

Stuck Valve

2K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  KennyP 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
on my Lgt165 k341 engine I have a stuck valve. When I got this thng a couple weeks ago the man showed me the engine turned over by hand and he had the head off, when I got her home and turned the engine by hand I noticed it stuck at one point, in further checking found the exhaust valne has rusted shut. After a couple weeks of soakig it in pentrateing oil I have it about half way out,will up date when it soaks loose all the way.Hope I can save this thing, I am in over my head with having the engine apart.I am a retired auto body and paint man

#3 ·
when messing with stuck valves make sure not to turn or force to much ,might scratch valve guide and then its just more you have to fix later if you can see the stem use pb blaster and 1000 grit sand paper to brake the rust up without scratching up the stem then slowly work your way to the guide once you are there spray and move in and out until able to push it out with out to much force ..the main thing is not to sratch the valve guide if you can help it.. after out then its simple put stim in drill clean with super fine steel wool then 1500 grit wet and dry sandpaper (use either light oil or water), then buff to shine with buffing wheel or drimel and buffing compund, then reseat valve with a little valve grinding compund and use oil on the last to shine it up and final seat thats about it should be set

#6 ·
If the valve is stuck the guide is probably rusted up as well, you may be able to save the guide. A good automotive machine shop can replace the guide for you.

Reactions: tinbender7
#7 ·
I was able to get the valve out with no addional damage. I have things cleaned up and ready to go back together when time permitts. I keep the blaster wet and took it easy and it came out and the guide and stem all cleaned uo nice.

#8 ·
What you might for cleaning the guide is a brush made for cleaning a gun barrel. These are made of brass and different sizes.

Reactions: tinbender7 and MH81
#9 ·
glad to hear that you got the valve out ,, good luck with the rest of it. should have know problem remember to check the valve to make sure its seated before putting it back together the best way ive found is to put the spring back on after seating the valve then poor a little gas in to see if you get a leak if so try seating with oil first to see if that takes care of it if not, more grinding compound then seat with oil to get that shine on the seat then check again . hope this helps and good luck

#10 ·
Glad you got it to come out of there. I'd lap it back in before putting it back together, just to be sure it isn't bent or something along that line. Best of luck with it!

#12 ·
Good luck! Just remember to re-torque the head bolts after running for a bit!

#15 ·
Glad you got it fixed! But worst case replacing the valve guide is not too big a deal. Best left to the machine shop, but the guide is cheap and the labor to replace it is minimal as well.

Not really a problem area with these engines, but the exhaust valve/valve guide tend to wear and wallow out. When I redid the engine in my Deere 316K (16 hp kohler 341), the intake was fine, but the exhaust valve was worn and the clearance with the valve guide was pretty open. Worn guides/valves let the valve move around and leak, as well as battering the seat area. And of course, they let the engine burn oil (more in an oh valve design, not the side valves...) as well...

#16 ·
I did not get the LGT165 to start,but it backfired once.I think it needs a new condser,will see what NAPA has Monday and try again,
Was pleasd with what I heard as it turned over.

#17 ·
Glad you have it trying to go. Did you try squirting a bit of fuel in the carb? Got a spark tester?

#18 ·
I do not have a gas tank so I was squirting gas in the carb to see if it would fire, it seemed to have fire to plug at first. The reason I think it needs a condser is appearence .this thing sat under a tree for 16 years. I was not told how long it had sat until it was on the trailer. Everything seems to be in good shape considering all that.

Reactions: KennyP
#19 ·
Is this an open side LGT or closed? Might be able to contact our sponsors for a fuel tank. Sitting that long, it could be a number of things, one being the ignition switch is loosing 'fire' to the coil while cranking.

#21 ·
Does have a plunger, Alan. Could be part of the problem. Points could need a cleaning/reset, also.

#23 ·
Give them a holler and see what they have!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.