22 replies to this topic

#1 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 09:03 AM

on my Lgt165 k341 engine I have a stuck valve. When I got this thng a couple weeks ago the man showed me the engine turned over by hand and he had the head off, when I got her home and turned the engine by hand I noticed it stuck at one point, in further checking found the exhaust valne has rusted shut. After a couple weeks of soakig it in pentrateing oil I have it about half way out,will up date when it soaks loose all the way.Hope I can save this thing, I am in over my head with having the engine apart.I am a retired auto body and paint man

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 10:46 AM

Good luck with that valve. Those Kohlers are a nice old engine and very serviceable.
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#3 Bill2 OFFLINE  

Bill2
  • Member No: 9859
  • 4 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 10:45 PM

when messing with stuck valves make sure not to turn or force to much ,might scratch valve guide and then its just more you have to fix later if you can see the stem use pb blaster and 1000 grit sand paper to brake the rust up without scratching up the stem then slowly work your way to the guide once you are there spray and move in and out until able to push it out with out to much force ..the main thing is not to sratch the valve guide if you can help it.. after out then its simple put stim in drill clean with super fine steel wool then 1500 grit wet and dry sandpaper (use either light oil or water), then buff to shine with buffing wheel or drimel and buffing compund, then reseat valve with a little valve grinding compund and use oil on the last to shine it up and final seat thats about it should be set

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 11:52 PM

Good luck getting your valve out. As said above, do your best not to rush it and cause other issues.
As for being over your head, I would ague that the hard half is almost done & reassembly should go well. Sounds as if you have this under control.

#5 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 05:30 AM

i bought a reel mower a couple years ago with a briggs 5s that had a stuck valve and what i did first was pull the breather cover off and spray PB Blaster onto the valves and let it set. a day later whill in the garage i heard it pop shut. been good ever since.
i may have just been lucky but worth a shot. good luck

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 05:56 AM

If the valve is stuck the guide is probably rusted up as well, you may be able to save the guide. A good automotive machine shop can replace the guide for you.

#7 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 04:13 PM

I was able to get the valve out with no addional damage. I have things cleaned up and ready to go back together when time permitts. I keep the blaster wet and took it easy and it came out and the guide and stem all cleaned uo nice.

#8 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 04:30 PM

What you might for cleaning the guide is a brush made for cleaning a gun barrel. These are made of brass and different sizes.
  • MH81 and tinbender7 have said thanks

#9 Bill2 OFFLINE  

Bill2
  • Member No: 9859
  • 4 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 05:40 PM

glad to hear that you got the valve out ,, good luck with the rest of it. should have know problem remember to check the valve to make sure its seated before putting it back together the best way ive found is to put the spring back on after seating the valve then poor a little gas in to see if you get a leak if so try seating with oil first to see if that takes care of it if not, more grinding compound then seat with oil to get that shine on the seat then check again . hope this helps and good luck

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 05:46 PM

Glad you got it to come out of there. I'd lap it back in before putting it back together, just to be sure it isn't bent or something along that line. Best of luck with it!

#11 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 08:39 PM

I have the motor back together all I need to do is torque the haed, and then I hope to try to start it this weekend.

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 05:04 AM

Good luck! Just remember to re-torque the head bolts after running for a bit!

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 07:17 AM

Good luck and don't forget the video of it running!

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 10:30 AM

Sounds like you got it fixed. Let us know how it runs!

#15 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted June 08, 2012 - 04:35 PM

Glad you got it fixed! But worst case replacing the valve guide is not too big a deal. Best left to the machine shop, but the guide is cheap and the labor to replace it is minimal as well.

Not really a problem area with these engines, but the exhaust valve/valve guide tend to wear and wallow out. When I redid the engine in my Deere 316K (16 hp kohler 341), the intake was fine, but the exhaust valve was worn and the clearance with the valve guide was pretty open. Worn guides/valves let the valve move around and leak, as well as battering the seat area. And of course, they let the engine burn oil (more in an oh valve design, not the side valves...) as well...