coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 10:13 PM

I decided to get the mower deck put back together so that I could use the 1855 as the main mower while I worked on the Wheel horses. I had rebuilt the spindles and then got caught up in other stuff so the deck rebuild got pushed off. I finally got it all back together and figured out how to mount it on the tractor. I was so excited. I got on and started to mow. That thing is a beast on grass! It did a great job, I wasnt too happy with the way it scalps but the grass looked great. I was almost finished, I just had one small area to finish up and she stopped cutting. I started checking what was going on and saw that the clutch would not engage. While i was looking i noticed that there was a little smoke coming out of the coil area. Well i got to take it apart today. It looks like when the PO had the engine swapped (onan to kohler) they made an adapter for the clutch. It seems to offset the spacers a few thousandths which let the drive hub rub on the coil. It rubbed the epoxy off and got into the windings of the coil. So no more clutch until I find a replacement field coil.

Anybody have any suggestions? It seems like the coil is NLA.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 01:08 AM

I don't have any leads for you other than our site sponsors, but just posted to say sorry about the clutch.

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 05:41 AM

That sinks , If I remember right the one on my JD was coated in epoxy as a sealed unit and it would we pretty tough to unwind it to a good spot or make some kind of repair but maybe someone will come along that did , hope so those colls are $$$ , Al

#4 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 08:44 AM

Looks like I am going to try to rewind this one. Found sevral sites on the web about wrapping transformers and coils. Found the wire I need ($25 on ebay). I just cant put $150+ into a clutch, I will have to try winding my own first.

#5 pianotuner OFFLINE  

pianotuner

• Member No: 7799
  • 55 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 09:39 AM

If it's like the MF 14/16, the winding broke loose from the potting compound. It's an easy fix. It just snapped the two wires at the coil ends. Just coax the wires loose enough to reattach, and repot it in epoxy. It is easier than reattaching the mower deck. Once you get it out, you will see what I mean.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 10:24 AM

Are you able to determine the no. of turns you need for the coil? If you know the wire gauge and the coil resistance you should be able to determine the wire length necessary. Is it going to be tough to get it wound in the same volume and same ID as the original? I've never heard of someone rolling there own coil. If you can take some pics it would be an iteresting topic!

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 02:55 PM

I've rewound a few coils but it is tedious work. Always worked fine for me though. Britt....this wire on ebay is coated wire correct?

#8 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 05:03 PM

Yep its enameled wire specifically for winding motors, transformers, coils etc... I managed to get the old coil out mostly undamaged so i will be able to take measurements and figure out how much wire i will need. Of course I cannot jump on it right away as that I have many irons in the fire. In the mean time i will be building a bobbin of the correct size and figuring out how to make a winding jig. Luckily this is just an electro magnet and not something like a transformer. With the electromagnet there is a nice "fudge factor" so I dont have to be ultra precise. A little more turns shouldnt affect the outcome in a negative way.

#9 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 05:06 PM

Coldone, best of luck with this! I know I wouldn't even try!

#10 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 08:27 PM

That's one project I wouldn't even think about trying. I would probably take it to my older brother, the retired electronics brain of the family. Good luck and how about posting some pictures when you get started?

#11 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 08:37 PM

Here are some pics of the carnage. This is what I found when i pulled the PTO apart.
0524120954.jpg
0524120953.jpg
0524120953a.jpg

Edited by coldone, May 24, 2012 - 08:38 PM.

#12 pianotuner OFFLINE  

pianotuner

• Member No: 7799
  • 55 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 11:55 AM

That IS wasted. There is someone in St. Louis that rewinds auto starters for antique cars. If you want, I can send the pics to him for his price.

Check with car dealers in your area for someone that rebuilds car starters on site.

Edited by pianotuner, May 25, 2012 - 12:27 PM.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 11:03 PM

I wonder if any of the air conditioner coils in old cars would fit in there? Ought to be pretty cheap at the junkyard, if you found one that would work.

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 06:23 AM

Boy, that is toasted ! The one thing you have to watch is the resistance of the coil. Too low a resistance could cause it to overheat. It is running in a hot environment to start with and getting the heat out of the coil is critical to it's survival. If you know the wire gauge then you can figure out the length required for a given resistance. Trying to wind that by hand and get it the same size is going to be a real challenge. It would be interesting to see pictures of your winding setup if you can.

#15 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 03:54 PM

In Raleigh there WAS a shop that specialized in rewinding all sorts of motors. I used them to fix pool pumps, but I always looked around at what they had, and if it had a wire winding, they had it. Hit your local yellow pages, electic motor repair, alternator repair, automotive starter rebuild.