#1 Bigdaddydon OFFLINE  

Bigdaddydon

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1755
  • 75 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 06:30 PM

I cut the grass with the 1050 last week, when I finished I noticed grass clippings caked on the side of the engine TRA-10D, (carb side).

I cleaned it all up and started the engine again, After just a few seconds the oil seemed to be coming from behind the flywheel and dripping down the side of the engine.

I removed the flywheel and upon inspection it appears top be leaking from the bottom bolt of the bearing plate. I don't see any coming from the seal but I am not sure the oil level would be high enough to leak from the seal at rest. Would it hurt anything if I overfilled the crankcase to see if the seal is leaking or should I just replace the seal since I am replacing the gasket.

The parts list shows the bearing plate as a unit which includes a ME-170-1 Brg Cup and PH-529 oil seal. It does not list a seperate gasket

Before I remove the bearing plate I need to know if the crankshaft will want to drop and cause trouble with the cam or governer. What precautions should I take? It looks like I can remove it from the front, has anybody replaced this seal and gasket without a total rebuild?

Pics of front of engine after sitting 24 hours YOu can see the oil runnig down from the bottom bolt. I know the oil could be coming from higher but I see no signs of that.
Front Bearing Plate 001.jpg Front Bearing Plate 002.jpg Front Bearing Plate 003.jpg

Edited by Bigdaddydon, May 23, 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#2 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2905
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 07:08 PM

I will post what Bruce Dorsi posted in my 1050 thread.

Wisconsin engines would often leak oil from the front crankshaft oil seal and the gaskets under the front bearing plate. ......Crankshaft end-play is adjusted by shimming the front bearing plate, so do not remove shims (unless end-play is excessive) or add thick gaskets (which will increase end-play). .....A thin smear of gasket sealant between all the gaskets, shims, and metal surfaces will help prevent leaks. .....There is a small "notch" in the gaskets & shims to allow excess oil to drain from the front bearing. .....Note the position when removing them (or consult the Wisconsin manual) to insure they are re-installed correctly. .....Also, do not fill these "notches" with sealant. .....The front crankshaft seal is easily changed when the bearing plate is removed from the front of the block (3 bolts).

http://gardentractor...__30#entry80455

I would replace the seal and the gasket. it's cheap insurance while you are in there. I think you will be fine just removing the bearing plate as I think that is what I did, but I would defer to people with more expertise.

Edited by mark843, May 23, 2012 - 07:14 PM.

• Bigdaddydon said thank you

#3 Bigdaddydon OFFLINE  

Bigdaddydon

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 75 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for that. Bruce sure can give great advice. did you find the seals locally. Ant part numbers or is the ph 529 still good.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,678 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 08:14 PM

You don't have to worry about disturbing any of the gears or timing because when you remove the plate you will see that the bearing is holding the crank shaft in place.

This may be a dumb question but have you checked to see if those Bolts are properly tightened? My 850 was leaking from the same spot when I first got it and when I pulled the flywheel the bolts were loose and all I did was tighten them and it hasn't leaked since.

For the seals, If you check on ebay there usually are some good deals out there.
  • Bigdaddydon said thank you

#5 Bigdaddydon OFFLINE  

Bigdaddydon

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 75 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 08:41 PM

Thanks Brian,

I have not tested the bolts to see but that will be my first move. Good to know about the bearing to.