4 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick OFFLINE  

Patrick
  • Member No: 9955
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 04:42 PM

Hello Everyone,

New owner of a wonderful FORD LGT 125 that I picked up yesterday. Replaced the deck belt and mowed with and it worked great. One thing is the front PTO (i assume its called that) is constantly engaged so the blades spin all the time. This is because the previous owner ran it into something and the PTO wheel got pushed in and now it is stuck running all the time. Not a huge problem I guess, but I could use some advice on how to fix it. This same accident damaged the bottom side of the front grill and broke the fiberglass so I am looking on fixes for that. Still very early in my owner ship so I need to change oil, because it has some light smoke coming from around where the exhaust comes out of the block and not sure why it does it but it only does it after running it for around an hour. So I am assuming that changing oil and gas will help this hopefully. Even though it needs some work, I love it and look forward to restoring it. Plan on using it for a garden next year and could also use some suggestions on implements. Thanks and any help is greatly appreciated by an old KY boy!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1643.JPG
  • IMG_1644.jpg

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 05:22 PM

Welcome to the forum! Not sure where to start on your problems. I'll have to look up that PTO. Exhaust smoke could be a head gasket, possibly. Could just be an exhaust leak, too. Haven't done much in fiberglass repairs.
  • Patrick said thank you

#3 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 06:37 PM

Those LGTs are solid machines...I have 3 of them.....A good grill is hard to finde.....Take the PTO apart, it may be fixable.
  • Patrick said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 07:19 PM

Welcome to GTTAlk and Congrats. on the new tractor. Good luck with your repairs. You've come to the right place for advice.
  • Patrick said thank you

#5 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 07:55 PM

I am kinda fond of the Ford LGT's too. I just painted the wheels on my ford dump cart, next up will be the wheels on the tractor...then we head into the 'blue', but they are beautiful heavy duty tractors, and I am sure you're gonna love it. I'd think the PTO since they are electric probably just has a wire shorted or something to that effect so I'd look very closely at the electrical system for the PTO first...

Good Luck with the tractor, keep us updated...ya gotta kinda watch them Fords, they seem to multiply on ya...
  • Patrick said thank you