Garden Tractor Forums banner

59 Chevy / Cummins-2

3K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  Amigatec 
#1 ·
The 6.2 engine got pulled out of the truck today.

Here it is ready to be picked up.
Someone in Texas bought it and is making a road trip to come up and get it.

Here is the space that I have to work with.
I took the Chevy motor mounts off the frame and they are going with the old engine.

When checking the preliminary dimensions for putting the Cummins in here, it looked like the engine might be just a tad longer than the space in the engine compartment.
It was hard to get an accurate measurement with the 6.2 setting in there but my assumption was correct.
If the Cummings is sitting up against the setback in the firewall, the fan will be sitting about 3/4 inch too far forward.

There is no room to move the radiator any farther forward so I'm going to have to cut the firewall and move it back about 1-1/2 inch.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry to hear of the interference problem, Ray! But, after seeing what you have done in the past, sounds like you can get ti done. Just hope you have that 1-1/2" inside to move it back!

Reactions: jdcrawler
#3 ·
What Cummins are you putting in there? 12 valve, 24 valve?

If you are tackling a project like this I'm sure you though about access. I've got a 2000 Ram and adjusting the valves and working on the injectors for the # 6 cylinder can be tight.

Nice project by the way. Got any more pics?

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
What Cummins are you putting in there? 12 valve, 24 valve?
I'm using a 12 valve out of a 1990 Dodge Ram 250.
More photos will be posted as work progresses .

#6 ·
Removing the engine fan would certainly allow for enough room between the engine and the radiator.
However, I don't trust electric fans on a truck like this that does some very heavy hauling.
I want the good old 6-blade mechanical fan.

#8 ·
I agree with Ray, electric fans have never impressed me either.

#9 ·
Originally I wanted to keep my aluminum radiator that I had used for the 6.2 engine.
Turns out that isn't going to work.
The 6.2 radiator has the inlet and outlet on opposite sides and the Cummins requires the inlet and outlet to be on the same side.
Here are the 6.2 radiator and the Cummins radiator.

It also turns out that this could be a blessing in disguise.
The Cummins radiator is about 1-1/2 inch thinner than the 6.2 radiator so I just may not have to move the center of the firewall back.
Here are the 6.2 radiator and the Cummins radiator.

The 6.2 engine had the fuel supply and return lines on the passenger side of the block and the Cummins has the fuel lines on the drivers side of the block so I took the fuel filter off the passenger side fender well.
I also took the radiator overflow tank and the windshield washer tank off the fender well.
These will both be re-located closer to the cab.

I'm going to use the factory air filter system.
A hole will have to be cut into the fender well for the filter canister to stick thru.
I'll also have to make a cutout behind the grill for the cold air intake tube.

Reactions: KennyP
#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
The Dodge had electrical gauges and my old truck has mechanical gauges so I want to remove the electrical sending units and install the mechanical fittings before I set the engine in place.
The water temperature port is at the back drivers side of the block and there is no problem for hooking up the gauge.

The oil pressure port was on the very back of the 6.2 with just a short line comming out of the fire wall to hook to it.
The oil pressure port on the Cummins is down over the motor mount on the drivers side of the block.
Instead of running all the way into town to get a longer oil line kit I decided to move the oil port to the back of the block.

I cut a section of steel brake line to the correct length and flared the end.

The finished oil line has a flare fitting on one end and the compression fitting for the gauge tubing on the other end.

The steel line is mounted on the side of the block so the gauge line can now attach to it at the back of the block.

#12 ·
That is looking like it may fit yet. Have you measured between the firewall and the radiator support yet. Another idea! Can/will you adjust the valves before installation? Might be easier right now.

#13 ·
It looks like I'll have about 38 inch between the fire wall and the Dodge radiator.
The engine measures about 37 inch to the front of the fan clutch.
My uncle had the valves addjusted last year.

#14 ·
That should work, Ray! Best of luck on this. Motor mounts are always fun to figure out. That truck is going to turn some heads when you get this done, for sure!

#16 ·
Maybe I missed it but can the radiator be moved in front of the core support? We put a 289 Hi-Pro into a Toyota HiLux Pickup for a customer years ago and found by installing the radiator in front of the core support we didn't have to modify the firewall at all. The hood latch was the only problem and we got around that with hood pins.

#17 ·
Believe me with enough work anything is possible.

Years ago I bought mid '60s VW Van with a 1957 DeSoto 341 Hemi sitting in the middle.

#18 ·
I started setting the engine down in the frame to see how everything was going to line up.

Four years ago when I put the 6.2 in I had the front fenders and grille removed from the truck.
This is what it looked like then.

I was hoping that I could cheat on this swap and do it with out removing the front clip.
Well that isn't going to work after all.
This is only a 6-cylinder but it sure is a tall engine.
I got it about 2/3's of the way in and it got stuck with the oil pan on the cross member and the back of the head up against the fire wall.
I need to be able to set it in at a straighter angle and I can't do that with the grille still on.

Sometimes you can get away with cutting corners and sometimes you can't.

#20 ·
I really was hoping I wouldn't have to remove the front clip.
It's not an easy thing to move around by just one person but here it is off the truck.

There are parts from the truck setting all around the garage.
My wife has been parking her car out along side the garage for a few days now.

OK .. This should make it a lot easier to fit that engine in.

#23 ·
That should help a lot in fabbing the motor mounts. I just hope that tranny clears the 'hump' okay!

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
Unfortunately, you may have to set the clip back on there to check your clearances before you make your mounts...

How did you pick it off... forklift?
That was interesting to say the least. ...
Normally I would use straps and hang it from the forks but the forklift had the engine attached to it so I couldn't use it.

I took hold of it by the grille and brought it forward so the fenders rolled over the tires and set the front down on a creeper.
Then I used a 2x4 at the back of the fenders so I could lift both fenders and roll the whole clip out of the way.

I already know the engine has to set back as close the the fire wall as it can so I shouldn't have to set the clip back on until the engine is mounted in place.
Then I can hang it off the forks to move it around.

#26 ·
Casey, I didn't think about that. 'Course, knowing Ray, he has that already figured out.

#28 ·
I went bact to the first thread on this and looked the pics over again. Tranny dipstick may be a challenge, but the tranny itself looks similar in shape. At least the oilpan has good clearance for the cross member. Guess you'll know soon enough where problems are! In the end, it will be well worth the effort of getting it in there. Hope the challenges are few and small!

#30 ·
I was just thinking what is the max governed RPM of the Cummins? The 6.2 was around 3000 I believe, if the axle ratio is to low the truck may not have much speed to run the hi way.

#31 ·
These are the first diesel engines that I have owned so I really don't know much about them but I would think the Cummins RPM would be about the same as the 6.2 though.
My uncle made two vacation trips out to California towing a fifthwheel camper and he said he had no problems running 75 on the expressways.
I don't know what rear gears the Dodge had but my truck has 373 gears so I don't think I'll have any problem with highway speeds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.