Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How To Approach A Tractor Show To Get The Most Out Of It?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 06:50 AM

If you have not figured this out yet about me.....I study hard and try to plan for everything I do.....so looking at a 2 or 3 day tractor show.....best to show up the first day?? picks of the flea market are better?? or do you wait till the end when the deals get better cause the sellers do not want to take it home. I am figuring everyone has an opinion......some do it differently.....some might not want to share their secrets.....I can appreciate all these positions......if you got an opinon or experience and want to share it please do!!

#2 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 07:25 AM

For the Flea Market 'goodies', it's mostly a matter of what you are looking for.

If it's something for a popular tractor and somewhat rarish..."the early bird gets the worm".

If it's something common, wait for the marked down "I don't want to take it home" price.

I go to, and exhibit at, a very large, 3 day show just down the road from me, and I'll pass through the Flea Market area couple of times each day. I almost always see something new each time. Plus there are always venders that show up on the 2nd and 3rd days.

Only problem for me is that there just never seems to be much, if any Bolens goodies there.

Edited by OldBuzzard, May 23, 2012 - 07:31 AM.

• sacsr said thank you

#3 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 07:28 AM

Scott this is based solely on my most recent experience with the Little Guys Show. I was amazed at how many folks were already set up when we took our tractors there Friday night. ( This is a Saturday and Sunday Show. ) The biggest surprise was the number of folks that left late Saturday afternoon. This was however one of the largest turnouts for this show. Seems people just have too many things to do. In this case Saturday would have been the best day to see the largest number of exhibits and vendors. Some folks did have for sale signs on some of their tractors. I definitely agree with you about possibly waiting for the flea market items if you can, but then you also run the risk of missing an item you really want. Just my thoughts.
  • sacsr said thank you

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 07:34 AM

We just had a local swap meet 2 day event , we went the first day and picked a few things My friend was looking at a mower deck but wasn't sure if it fit but got a price , after checking when he got home picked the deck up the next day for $40 and was looking at a 40" + snow thrower the guy had too , sold to him for $10 , guessing he didn't want to haul it home . I did notice that a few things that I looked at the first day where either gone or maybe the seller was only there 1 day . Guess what I'm saying is try to make a deal the first day and if your not happy with the price find out if he'll be there the next day or exchange phone numbers just in case . Al
  • sacsr said thank you

#5 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 08:36 AM

I can't say I have a strategy. If I want something, I'll tend to buy it unless I feel the price is wrong, then I usually walk away. I would guess that on a multiday event, most vendors will be there the middle day of the show. Early comers will get the best chance to find rare or unusual items from early arriving vendors, but will most likely pay a premium price.

I know a friend of ours used to hold one day yard sales. First two hours was priced as marked, next two hours was 50% off, then things remaining were free at the curb so she wouldn't have to deal with them.

What event are you attending? I would like to find something in the Carolinas or Virginia to go to.
  • sacsr said thank you

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 09:27 AM

Usually the day before the show is set up day. Get there and get set up. Stay until the show ends. You get the best of both worlds and a weekend away. It seems like there are very few shows that have a good turn out on Sunday. Sad part is, that's when most of the local public like to come out and see stuff. I'm not sure if its a Sunday syndrome or not because I've seen shows go to Thurs - Sat and everybody leaves on Friday night or early Saturday. Maybe they are afraid if they're the last ones there they will have to clean up?
  • sacsr said thank you

#7 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 09:34 AM

Howard,

I may be attending the show in Evansville and was trying to decide what day to be there....I am thinking I will be picking up a GT on that Thursday or Friday......then head to the show for a day ....then a full day home of driving for me.......

Alot of "if's" in this trip.....but I am leaning to doing this...just want a plan if I decide to go....

I think there are a few good ones in NC.......if you hear of any left me know as well. thanks

Edited by sacsr, May 23, 2012 - 09:35 AM.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#8 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 11:02 AM

The flea market part of your inquiry has no right/wrong answer, you have to check early, you have to check often and you have to check late. I have watched guys pull in to our local show and by the time they get part way into the show grounds there are guys following them until they find a spot and trying to buy stuff as they park!! I have also been the recipient of some great Briggs parts engines for free when the guy across from us left on a Sat afternoon and did not want to load them back in his trailer, he said he'd rather see someone use them for parts than him reload, then unload at home only to load again to scrap them.

Multi day shows usually allow set up the day[s] before the actual show date, but make sure you check ahead if possible, and many folks do leave on Sat afternoon, if it is a weekend show. Not sure of any one reason why, as a member of the local club and helping at the show I've asked and heard, due to distance to travel and time to put stuff away, some due to family commitments/church, and the typical answer, 'cause most everyone else does....

The important thing is to go, look, display, talk to folks and most of all enjoy!!!!
  • sacsr said thank you

#9 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 11:10 AM

One in Denton NC runs several days right around July 4th. Here is a link to the calender. http://www.farmpark....arofevents.html

I just missed something in Huntersville 2 weeks ago. I need to find a way to find and keep track of these events.

Howard
  • sacsr said thank you

#10 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 11:37 AM

One in Denton NC runs several days right around July 4th. Here is a link to the calender. http://www.farmpark....arofevents.html

I just missed something in Huntersville 2 weeks ago. I need to find a way to find and keep track of these events.

Howard

Its called the Farm Collector show directory. Has show listings all over the US. they are listed by state and date.you can order it from the Farm Collector website.
  • sacsr said thank you

#11 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 12:27 PM

well i think your over working it. Its a show, go and have fun. If something comes up to buy and you think you need it, then get it. You dont have any way of knowing ahead of time whats going to be there or whats not. If you build yourself all up thinking theres a golden prize waiting there for you, then you might get disappointed. I ussally find my best stuff on the trip out and back, or i have something bought to pick up along the way.
  • sacsr said thank you

#12 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 02:22 PM

Lauber, I am with you.....I do think the fun part is the most important part....just so far the tractor shows I have attended have been over 6 hours from my house (Old Timey last August) and now looks like I am going to Evansville......so if I am going that far....want to make sure I get the most of the time I spend there....all great advice...thanks!!

Edited by sacsr, May 23, 2012 - 09:11 PM.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 07:55 PM

One of the most important parts is be sure to either have extra batteries, or make darn sure you take the charger for your CAMERA! We're not getting any younger, so it's imperative to have pics to recall everything you see.
Oh....and be ready for all the bs sessions, as there will be many! I'm looking forward to meeting all you guys!
  • sacsr said thank you

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 08:25 PM

Hey Scott....I take it the tractor you'll be rolling into Evansville with is the HD-12? Ya best put a lock & cable on it bud! :smilewink:
If we drive instead of ride the motorcycle, I'm bringing my restored D4-10 with me.

#15 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 08:29 PM

As you have already read best to make as many trips to them as you can. As soon as they start showing up people will being buy stuff off them asap and alot of the best cheaper things will go fast.

As Dan said be ready for the bs time as i find that the best part of the shows.
  • sacsr said thank you