CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 11:41 PM

I buy this '89' Toro walkbehind. Guy says he used to use it but bought a $25,000 Ferris diesel and just wants it out of the yard, it is sitting on a flat and generally looks like poop. So I look at it, the oil is full, there is good compression and he only wants $150 for it. So, 'although it's ugly' I cave in. I mean it is a 52" walkbehind and everything appears to be intact.

I pay him for it and the next day I bring over some fresh gas, new fuel line, carb cleaner, new plug, and some starting fluid, Put the new parts in drain the carb, flush it with cleaner and ...viola fires right up. walk it into the back of my truck...take it home, put a new tire on it. Clean and grease all the zerks.

Continues to fire on the first pull.

Take it to my sons to cut grass...basically to give it to him. and it is perfect, until it runs out of gas...from that point on it has been a PITA, cleaning the carb, flushing with cleaner, new gas...nothing works, When the fuel flows the float never shuts off the fuel...bad scene.

Changed Needles same thing...carb has been discontinued but has been used on tons of stuff, JD's many walkbehinds etc...

Anyone have a carb to sell? Or idea to fix? This thing cut like a Cadillac when it was working now it just sits all due to the stupid carb...

Thx

#2 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 02:47 AM

I never had a Mikuni apart but, the only things to cause that would be a bad needle seat, hole in the float or the float is not adjusted correctly or it is hanging up on something.

I see there are a few on Ebay right now with multiple bids.
I also see it is discontinued.

I would just take that carb off. Remove the bowl, turn the carb upside down and look at how the float and needle are sitting.

Just take your time and look everything over good. I just have a feeling that the float might be hanging up on something, and not letting it close all the way. ( I hope)

Good luck!
  • CASENUT said thank you

#3 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 07:06 AM

I never had a Mikuni apart but, the only things to cause that would be a bad needle seat, hole in the float or the float is not adjusted correctly or it is hanging up on something.

I see there are a few on Ebay right now with multiple bids.
I also see it is discontinued.

I would just take that carb off. Remove the bowl, turn the carb upside down and look at how the float and needle are sitting.

Just take your time and look everything over good. I just have a feeling that the float might be hanging up on something, and not letting it close all the way. ( I hope)

Good luck!

ty Chris been there...done that! and your reasoning is like mine...watchin ebay too :-)