#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 07:37 PM

Got a B-80 in trade for my Massey parts tractor. It was running. I pulled off a hydraulic control and pump from it today and changed the oil. Now, won't start. I put more gas in and some chemtrol. Seems to need alot of choke when it does start before this. Choke cable is broken, so have to hand operate the choke. The starter seems to wan't to jam some, specially now that the battery is worn down from cranking. I will charge it up and try more tommorrow. I found some wires coming from under dash that were cut-off, not sure what they should be for. there is no lights in nood, the panel is missing and not sure there ever was any on this model. If I tell the colors would that help ID? Is there wire diagram available somewhere? I'm finding manuals on the B-81, but not B-80 tractor. Is that close enough to be helpful on this tractor? I found one orig B-80 on epay, but for $25 and didn't look all that nice at all. I find CD's offerend for the 81 and other models or claimed as B, C and D models all inclusive. Maybe I should get that? Will be gettin' into this one more as I can. A good cleaning is the first thing on agenda and some freeing up and lubing on linkages and such.

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 10:21 PM

Worked on B-80 today again. Got the hydraulic cylinder off from under it, and freed up the hand lift and all seems normal that I see. This tractor has a quick hitching system on it for the deck. I have no deck tho. Even the front pulleys for the deck were on it, and came right off once I got area cleaned and saw how it worked. My serial starts out with 71, wondered if that was the year of it? Here's my first good pictures of it after lubing and adjusting some today. I'm thinking engine makes too much mech noise. Needs valves set for sure, but hoping not weak rod. I did change the point gap to change timing some and some of knocking noise eased up. Thinking of pulling head and looking at valves and see if carboned up too. Got it running today by adding gas to tank and just barely tweaked the main jet and it fired right off. Crap in it??? Anyway, starts in an instant now.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0245.JPG
  • DSCN0246.JPG

• bowtiebutler956 said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 10:25 PM

Wanted to ask about adjusting seat on this tractor. I don't see how it can move anywhere? It sure seems close to dash for way I like to ride, but not seeing any way to move. Seat has switch in it, but not connected and that does close, then springs on fender body with big hinge with pull-out swivel pin to remove from tractor. I could move the little stands in front back some, but not sure I want to make appearance change like that and it wouldn't have the support it bolts too now if moved. Anyone ever change theirs and how/what was done?

#4 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 05:01 AM

What is the full model and serial number?

71 is not the year as they were built 1974-1977.

Did you find a manual?

Garry

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 07:10 PM

Bought manual on epay, made offfer of $16 and he took it, and free ship. Looks a little light print on pix, but we'll see. Got #'s off tractor for IDing.
71- 08K801 17044 and lower was 7116. What's all this mean?

#6 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 08:00 PM

Bought manual on epay, made offfer of $16 and he took it, and free ship. Looks a little light print on pix, but we'll see. Got #'s off tractor for IDing.
71- 08K801 17044 and lower was 7116. What's all this mean?

7=1977
1=Garden tractor as opposed to lawn tractor
08=engine hp
K=Kohler engine
01=parts list identifier

17044 is the serial number (Have seen this model number run 480 to 17564)

7116 is the Julian build date. 116th day of 1977 = Tuesday April 26, 1977. Have learned this is the date they scheduled your run to be built - not the actual build date but it would have been soon after.

Garry
  • MH81 and caseguy have said thanks

#7 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 04:48 PM

Wanted to ask about adjusting seat on this tractor. I don't see how it can move anywhere? It sure seems close to dash for way I like to ride, but not seeing any way to move. Seat has switch in it, but not connected and that does close, then springs on fender body with big hinge with pull-out swivel pin to remove from tractor. I could move the little stands in front back some, but not sure I want to make appearance change like that and it wouldn't have the support it bolts too now if moved. Anyone ever change theirs and how/what was done?

I think someone change the way the seat mounts on yours somewhere in its past. Here are some pics of my B-80, and some closeups of the seat mounting. You will notice the seat is all the way forward on mine. That's so my son can use it to mow with. One of the pics is with the rear fender lifted, and you can see the alternate mounting holes.

Matt :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC05285.JPG
  • DSC05287.JPG
  • DSC06162.JPG
  • DSC05286.JPG
  • DSC05290.JPG
  • DSC05293.JPG
  • DSC06159.JPG
  • DSC06160.JPG

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 04:55 PM

That's One nice looking trator. Mine looks like Junk compared! Think my seat is diff than that. Maybe I can get some pix of mine. Have much diff look in back with springs and a switch and then front has a bar I can pull out to seperate from tractor. Maybe I don't have all B-80 parts on it? Your engine bigger than an 8? Shroud looks bigger in pix anyway.

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 07:41 PM

Bow Tie Butler, have some shots of my seat here now. Not at all like yours as U see, Note my safety switch in that bow shaped spring, then some more springs below, which may have been added. The lines are still drawn from someones fixing there I think. The forward full width pin for removal of seat, four holes near back of fender pan, only two bolts in them. Zat some adjustment?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0287.JPG
  • DSCN0285.JPG
  • DSCN0283.JPG
  • DSCN0286.JPG
  • DSCN0284.JPG

#10 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted June 01, 2012 - 10:56 PM

glgrumpy, I didn't think any of the old B-80's has seat safety interlock, but I'm not positive. No I don't have the 8hp on mine, its been swapped out for a Kohler K-301 12hp. I have some Wheel Horse buddies I will ask about your seat. I don't think thats the oe setup, but I'll ask my friends at rs. By the way, my B-80 looked much worse than your up till about 6 months ago, but I've had it for almost 10 years, and its always been a hard working faithful GT. I think yours looks very solid! :thumbs:

Matt