• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Hawkwing OFFLINE  

Hawkwing
  • Member No: 9761
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 01:36 AM

Found a 318 onan-powered GT for sale today, and wanted some opinion on price for counteroffer.
Tractor has 220 hrs, garage-kept. (Wonder whether hr meter was replaced or unplugged)
One owner by former JD mechanic- I'm assuming it has been well-maintained.
Looks like new, aside from a few minor dings. Sorry, no pics.
Sounds and runs great, IMHO. (I'm a noob to JD; just got a free 316).
Asking $1800 firm. Is this high, low, reasonable?

#2 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 04:41 AM

Depends on equipement and how it looks but in general that unit sells for more like $2300-$2500. In my opionion the 318 is one of the best JD's ever. About the only one I would consider better would be the 420/430.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 04:57 AM

If the hourmeter is correct that tractor is a great buy. You can usually tell if a tractor has been abused or has a lot of hours on it by looking at the overall wear and things like the footwell, operating pedals etc. that wear from use.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 07:04 AM

Good luck on your negotiating, will be anxious to see pictures when the time comes.

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 07:25 AM

Wonder since he was a JD mechanic he logged all the maintance in the owners manual ? Might give you a clue if the hour meter is correct . If so I would thik it was a fair price . Al

#6 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 07:39 AM

Sounds fair to me.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 08:11 AM

I would think with 220 hrs if accurate it's just broken in and ready to do some work. Read somewhere that the average user would put about 100 hrs on a machine per year. I bought a 318 in December of 2010(condition fair) with a 48" mower, powerflow bagger and single stage snow blower for $1,000. Hour meter not working and being an 88 model I have no clue how many hours were/are on it.
The shop I bought it from had just put in a new oil seal. I'm using mine on 9 acres and probably put more hours on it in a year than most would in 5 years and think they are a great machine.
I love my 318 and think I got a smokin deal by buying in the off season.
Now give some serious thought to what you are going to want to do with the machine and how it is equiped. Be careful to not underestimate those chores, once you have a GT your imagination will run wild!

I did not and got a shock!
My machine did not come with a rear PTO or 3 point hitch, and I could easily invest another $1500-2000 in setting it up to run a roto-tiller. Since I am an avid gardener(over 6,000 sq ft of garden) it's needed. But I could also buy another GT already set up with the tiller for less than I can buy the parts to convert my 318. And that's what I'll probably do.

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 22, 2012 - 08:15 AM.

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 10:28 AM

It would be a great deal if that is all the hours on it. I'm sure it's a great deal, but beware of a fresh paint job over a tired machine.

As stated before, look for honest wear points. Good luck.

#9 kansasjohndeere OFFLINE  

kansasjohndeere
  • Member No: 9756
  • 7 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 07:46 PM

I just sold a 1986 model for 1300.00 and it had over a 1000 hrs on it. Everything worked as it should and the paint was original. So his asking price is well within reason in my opinion.

#10 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 09:38 PM

As a John Deere mechanic, he works at a Dealership, and should know how much these tractors are bringing on the market right now. As mentioned, if the hour meter is correct, why isn't he selling the tractor for the going rate of $2,200.00 - $2,400.00? That would be my only concern. I'm assuming the tractor is only equiped with a mower deck? What about the bagger or grass catching system. If the grass catching system with the cart is included, then I'd say be careful, because this offer seems to good to be true.

#11 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 10:26 PM

I am with Troy on this about the price but prices do seem to be all over the place
depending were you are located.I would see if this guy has some grass to mow I will
mow a hours wearth of grass for free to make myself feel better about putting out the cash

Just my 2 cents

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 04:20 AM

I think some people are starting to shy away from 318's due to the Onan parts issue. Deere doesn't have parts for them now. This may lower the asking price on a machine with a lot of hrs but for one with low hrs that's been well maintained it shouldn't be a big concern. I've seen 2 318's sell here lately for less than 1000. Both were well worn. One had a hydraulic tiller with it and the other a 3pt hitch and wheel weights. I missed both. They were gone within hours.

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 08:04 AM

I think the Onan issue is overrated, to a degree. The parts may become hard to find, but there are so many out there I think with dillegence can be had. Cummins owns them and I believe are required by law to make them for 10 yrs after they stop building them.
So while Cummins never sold a part cheap, they should be available.

Besides in my opinion there has never been another small engine that sounds as swwet as an Onan..

#14 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• Member No: 4947
  • 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 08:37 AM

I just sold my 318 for $1800 and they didn't even flinch.... not to mention I had 3 people lined up to look at after they did.

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 09:56 AM

When they come up here they are gone really fast. There is a big difference in what people will pay for a well maintained 318 and something that is totally beat. The last 2 for sale here were pretty much worn out.