• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bnrsmith OFFLINE  

bnrsmith

• Member No: 747
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 12:54 PM

Just bought a Kubota g4200 thats in good condition but it wont start. Checked fuel delivery and glow plugs all is well. All safety switches seem to be functioning properly. The hour meter is missing. Engine cranks over fine and has good compression. Will the tractor run without the hour meter hooked up or does it need to be bypassed in order for the ignition to work? Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 01:59 PM

The hour meter has nothing to do with running. It is simply a 12V clock that comes on with the key. You can turn the key to off after starting & run it all day, but it won't be charging the battery or running the meter. The key simply cranks the starter & connects all the electrical charge circuits.
The kill lever I take it is pulling in & out easily? You do know you kill it by pulling the lever at lower left of dash tower? Push it in to start position. There is NO ignition, as the compression ignites the diesel vapor.

#3 bnrsmith OFFLINE  

bnrsmith

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 02:31 PM

the lever seems to be working correctly. this thing has me baffled. all key elements to a diesel running are there. I took the injectors out and reconnected them to check fuel spray and that looks good. took glow plugs out and checked to see if they were heating up. they also looked good. Took off the valve cover to see if rockers were moving and they look good. compression seemed good. what else is there to check? Only thing i have not done is replace the gas since it looks and smells fresh.

#4 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 02:34 PM

Only thing i have not done is replace the gas since it looks and smells fresh.

Maybe that's the problem...... needs DIESEL, not gas!!! LOL

:bigrofl:

#5 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 02:37 PM

Seriously, though.... I wish I had some good suggestions. The only real diesel problems I've dealt with involved an old Mercedes 300D that wouldn't STOP running on it's own. Had a vacuum problem that was fun to fix.....

#6 bnrsmith OFFLINE  

bnrsmith

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 02:41 PM

You mean gas and diesel arent the same. just kidding. I guess i should keep my fuel lingo correct. Thanks for your help

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 03:00 PM

The only things with it being diesel that I can think of is kill lever, injection timing or compression. The compression on a diesel is a lot higher then on a gas engine. Make sure the battery is fully charged to get the engine to spin over as fast as possible, if it is down on compression at all the more rpms you can get while cranking will help.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 03:10 PM

You could try a TINY bit of starter fluid to see if it will fire with just a little help. But when I say a tiny bit, that's exactly what I mean. You'd need no more than say 1/2cc of the stuff. Sometimes the 1st cranking after sitting is the worst, then once fired they do good after. Make sure your muffler isn't obstructed by mud dauber nests or the like. If it can't exhale, it can't inhale.
As George said, cranking speed is critical. When my G4200's battery is on the low side, it'll turn over seemingly fine, but not fire as it's too slow a cranking speed.

#9 bnrsmith OFFLINE  

bnrsmith

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 03:47 PM

It does crank pretty slow. I have had the charger on it and tried a different battery and it doesnt seem to change the cranking speed. i pulled a good starter off a parts tractor and it still cranked slowly. When I had the injectors out it cranked real easy of coarse showing there is no other resistance going on.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 03:49 PM

I would put a known good battery in her, or just use good jumper cables to boost. You may have a battery cable with poor connection. I think I'd go ahead & pull the connections, clean real good & snug em up.

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 04:30 PM

Yep I would check the battery cables and make sure you have a good ground and a good power lead going to the starter. I seen you said the glow plugs are alright, are you definitely sure they are getting hot to help fire it off?

#12 bnrsmith OFFLINE  

bnrsmith

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 05:50 PM

swapped out the cables. put in a known good battery. Checked the glow plugs again. shot in a little bit of ether. still cranks slow and wont start. not even a sputter. Im outta of ideas.

#13 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 06:15 PM

When you crank the engine over is there any smoke (gray smoke) coming out of the exhaust pipe, you should see something come out.
If you don't see smoke the engine is not getting any fuel.
If there is smoke check the glow plugs, make sure they are getting hot. Pull one out, hook it up to a battery and check.
It should fire with a shot of either (1 second spray shot or less) but this is hard on the glow plugs.
This is what I know hope it helps.

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 06:27 PM

I've taken starters off parts engines that I thought were good, but weren't. Maybe it's time to pull a starter apart & get a look inside.

#15 bnrsmith OFFLINE  

bnrsmith

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 02, 2010 - 11:30 AM

O.K.I think it has something to do with the glow plugs. If i pull the plugs hook them up to power and ground them to the block turn the preheat on they glow bright orange and get so hot you cant hold on to them. If i install them in the head preheat them and then immediately pull on out they are barely hot. They are getting warm. I cleaned up all the threads and connections so they would have good contact. No help!! I have ran four different plugs through it and they all behave the same way. It barely puffs any smoke while trying to start. What in the hell is going on?