Garden Tractor Forums banner

Insulation For Side Panels An Hood For Ford 195

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Buck 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anybody know where I could find the insulation that sticks to the inside of the side panels on my Ford 195,,,,, I don't know if any of the other Fords has the insulation on the inside like mine or not,, I wanting to replace em cause they are old an trying to fall apart an I think if I don't keep the insulation on the panels then the motor mite get the sides hot an burn the paint off of my side covers,,,, Also the insulation is on the hood cover,,, I don't know if a man can buy about an inch thick of insulation that is covered on one side an has the sticky part on the back side or not,, I don't have a pic of em tonight but can get em in morning if I need to,,,

#2 ·
A few years ago I needed some for my case 446, went to a speed shop and got it in like a 24x24 sheet and it had self adhesive on back. Used for floor panels and cowl panels on drag and sprinters were the headers get close. I also wrapped my exhaust pipes with header tape and it's worked really good. The case's were known for burning the paint off the hoods too.

#3 ·
Not sure how hot it gets where you are, but up here in Massachusetts it gets hot enough that we need to take the side panels off to keep from vapor-locking the carb., so that stuff is usually the first to go.
I will say though, you can't touch the front sheetmetal after a good mow, as it will burn your hand!
This was my answer to the provblem

Attachments

Reactions: Russ
#4 ·
Russ , I was just thinking of what Keith wrote above , is it better to let the heat out ( no side panels or no insulation ) or would having insulation trap the heat around the engine fuel line and all the electrical components ? Guess if it had it from the factory it would be correct to put it back but maybe others have different thoughts . Al

Reactions: Russ
#6 ·
I would kind of think that the insulation is mainly to keep the sound down but not sure of why it has it,, My muffler is in the main front an has plenty of vents,,, I was just wanting to keep my 195 like the factory had it if I can,,,

#8 ·
Go to a masonry supply yard and ask for some blanket insulation that would be used to insulate inside masonry fireplaces such as mineral wool or thermafiber. You can get different sizes and cut it. Then just get a spray can of some sort of adhesive and mount it on your inside pannel. The inslulation is pretty thin like 1" to 1 1/2". Its also fireproof. I cannot remember how much it costs off the top of my head but I don't think its that bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.