• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 07:12 PM

Well, this kinda worked. I'm still a little computer stupid, so if it's close to were it should be, I'm happy. I don't know why my son thought he had to hide behind the tree.

You know how they say "Necessity is the mother of invention". Well I haven't invented anything new, other than my own backsaver. I had some bagger chutes laying around from some lawn tractors that I had scrapped out. I was about 2 weeks behind on my mowing and I knew that I'd have to sweep the entire yard (3 acres) and that would use at least twice the gas. I don't know if I saved any gas because I still ran the tractor for nearly 5 hours, but I saved a lot of work not having to load the trailer with a fork and haul it off. I don't keep the grass piled up here, I take it to the farm and spread it in the fields. It worked like a charm, actually better than I expected. I filled that 5 x 8 with 3 foot sides trailer 3 times 'till I was done.If it rains all week like the weather man might be calling for, I'll get to put it to use this weekend again. I can almost see the grass growing.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1020233.JPG
  • P1020234.JPG
  • P1020235.JPG
  • P1020236.JPG

• NUTNDUN, grand, Texas Deere and Horse and 3 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 07:19 PM

Heck of a deal! I like that! But I think I would build a support for the tube, a little easier on the operator that way!
  • twostacks said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 07:35 PM

Good way to collect all that grass ! Are you using special blades to get it to blow back like that ?

#4 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 06:49 AM

Looks like it worked really good.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 07:25 AM

Not that's using your noodle! Thanks for the idea.

#6 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 12:40 PM

Heck of a deal! I like that! But I think I would build a support for the tube, a little easier on the operator that way!

I did end up clamping a 1" square piece of scrap wood to the seat bracket and then duct taped it to the pipe just for that reason. It didn't take long to get a kink in my back and shoulder trying to hold the pipe up high enough to clear the front of the trailer.

Good way to collect all that grass ! Are you using special blades to get it to blow back like that ?

I rebuilt the deck last summer and used GATOR blades. I didn't like them so I bought a new set of the original style blades and put them back on. Without the chute on and with the deflector shield pulled up it'll blow the grass a good 8 or 10 feet away from the tractor. I only plugged up maybe 4 or 5 times over the entire yard. Mostly because of a big patch of clover that wouldn't throw very far and balled up in the chute.
  • Alc said thank you

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,544 Thanks
  • 3,929 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 07:40 PM

Hmm! Now you got the ideas spinning in my head. I have small garden cart, but it would hold about 3 times as much as my catcher. But what do I have to go in between. With a lot of head scratching maybe by fall. :thumbs: Good ingenuity to improve the seat time!

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 04:35 PM

Well Shorty, calling on a failed experiment of my dad's I have an idea.
He found that picking up black walnuts with an MTD Bagger did not work so good, when they went flying through the plastic tube( and I do mean through) He then used a piece of stovepipe, but decided he was already deaf enough.
  • Utah Smitty and shorty have said thanks

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for sharing, that is a great idea. I wonder if you used a flexible pipe at the trailer, could you mount it to the trailer and keep the grass in the trailer when making turns? On smaller trailers you could use a small tarp to keep the grass from blowing out the back end.

This is a great thing you did here, way to go 2-stacks!! :thumbs:

#10 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 08:18 PM

Thanks for sharing, that is a great idea. I wonder if you used a flexible pipe at the trailer, could you mount it to the trailer and keep the grass in the trailer when making turns? On smaller trailers you could use a small tarp to keep the grass from blowing out the back end.

This is a great thing you did here, way to go 2-stacks!! :thumbs:

Thanks, Texas Deere And Horse, I threw this together after work one evening just to see if it would work. I thought about the flexible pipe idea too. I thought that a bend in the pipe, as I made a turn, would be another place to plug up and really,I didn't lose much grass from blowing out the back. I mounted an old licence plate on the end that I could bend around as needed, and it worked ok. I was just brainstorming at the last minute. The tarp idea could work though. If I get it back out, I'll have to try that.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 08:46 AM

I am definitely intrigued as I would love to do something like this for the leaf collection in the fall. I am amazed it blows the grass that far through the chute. I would like to find one of those gas powered blower/vacuums to mount inline with the piping.

#12 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted May 31, 2012 - 09:34 AM

I am definitely intrigued as I would love to do something like this for the leaf collection in the fall. I am amazed it blows the grass that far through the chute. I would like to find one of those gas powered blower/vacuums to mount inline with the piping.

George, I was looking at a new one at Lowes yesterday. They're a little pricey for me. I've always wanted one too, but I think I like the capacity that I have with my trailer. It's almost to much to pull when it's full though. Gary

#13 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 01:32 PM

Well Shorty, calling on a failed experiment of my dad's I have an idea.
He found that picking up black walnuts with an MTD Bagger did not work so good, when they went flying through the plastic tube( and I do mean through) He then used a piece of stovepipe, but decided he was already deaf enough.

LOL!! A little velocity can do amazing things... similar to a tornado driving a straw into a tree...

U S

#14 chuckt OFFLINE  

chuckt
  • Member No: 54024
  • 14 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted February 26, 2014 - 12:20 PM

I'll bet it works great while the grass is dry. And terrible when it's not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

#15 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 27, 2014 - 03:51 PM

Awesome idea. Just wonder how it pulls when it gets full