• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 10:04 AM

I have a tip that might be helpful to some of you or maybe you already know. I have a Cub Cadet 2146 with an Onan 14hp Elite Series engine, it sports a Nikki Carburetor. If you own one, you know parts for these things are by no means cheap and nothing that says Nikki is cheap when it comes to parts.

I bought the tractor 2nd hand some one had at some point not routed the fuel lines back correctly and left the line rubbing against the fuel bowl or this is what I reckoned. I noticed they'd tried to repair the bowl with something, maybe JB weld or something.

Well for several years this thing has a small leak it's not bad and when it's running it doesn't seem to leak at all. Just when it sits about a day or so it will leak maybe a spoonful of gas out.

I've tried several products but nothing ever seems to last very long. Sometimes maybe a season but it always leaks. I have looked and looked and I am still looking for a used fuel bowl but that hasn't happened and I hardly ever see a used carburetor for an Onan and when I do they cost more than a new used tractor.

OK here's the tip, I used to work in electronics and I still get new product emails from vendors.

Aluminum Soldiering! Yea and this stuff works low heat so it can be applied with a good iron. It comes in regular rolls with flux or you can get the paste. You can use a heat gun or iron to use it and this stuff so far has panned out well.

For a small hole it works very well but the area needs to be clean and ruffed up some. You need to really make sure it's clean, shined up and has no dirt, grease or grime on it. If it's the least bit dirty it's just not going to stick. Read the directions, it works well too for air conditioning repair of coils.

If you have a small leak, it's going to fix it if you apply it right and it's solid when it flows and dries.

Just a tip and so far it has worked out very well anyone who knows anything about welding or aluminum knows how hard it is to work weld this stuff and a fuel bowl would be impossible to weld because it's so thin. I would practice on a drink can before trying it out on a real work area.

Still looking for a fuel bowl but in the mean time, mine seems to be fixed for the first time since I have owned the tractor.

If anyone has any suggestions on repairing aluminum please pass them along. If anyone knows of a good bowl please pass that along too!

Have a blessed Sunday!
  • MH81, KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#2 zApag OFFLINE  

zApag
  • Member No: 9699
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for the tip. I will look for this stuff up here. I used JB Weld on my gas tank for a pin hole leak on the very bottom and it has worked out fine for me in over a year. I cleaned it very well at the time an hoped for the best.

And a blessed Sunday to you! :canada:
  • maxedout said thank you

#3 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for the tip. I will look for this stuff up here. I used JB Weld on my gas tank for a pin hole leak on the very bottom and it has worked out fine for me in over a year. I cleaned it very well at the time an hoped for the best.

And a blessed Sunday to you! :canada:

You can get it off Ebay, I just looked if you want a link let me know...now this is for Aluminum only, not plastic. I should have added that it's only for aluminum and I think it will work on pot metal too.

http://www.ebay.com/... solder&_fscr=1
  • KennyP said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for the info on this. I may order some of that to have on hand!

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 09:06 PM

I was at a local tractor show a couple of years ago and there was a guy selling that stuff in small bundles for $10 (looked like a half pound or so to me) I watched his demonstration and was impressed. Long story short, after some walking I had decided to pick a couple bundles up. Went back to his spot and he was gone... I've been looking for it ever since. Thanks for the reminder about it and thanks for the link!