Garden Tractor Forums banner

? For The Deere Guys

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  speedyg 
#1 ·
My brother is in the market for a small GT, and he has got his eyes on a 110 with a 10hp kohler. After doing a little research I beleive that they have a peerless tranny in them. My question is, is this the same type of tranny that is in the box store tractors? Some help or model #s on the tranny sure would help. I could not find any info with my searches. Thanks Guys!

#3 ·
It's a Peerless I believe but nothing like a modern box store tractor. I'm not an expert on 110's but I believe they were rated for ground engaging equipment. I'm guessing it's a Peerless 2300 series rear end. I'm sure some 110 experts will be along with more detailed info.

Reactions: speedyg
#4 ·
The two most common 110's that people know are as follows:

1963-1967 110 AKA: Round Fender or RF - The '65 and later machines are powered by a Kohler k181 engine and use the Peerless 4 speed 2300 transaxle. These machines are know as "closed frame" tractors and are quiky to work on when compared to the later 110's. They look like my avatar picture to the left.

The 1968-1974 110 (depending on year) was powered by either the K181 OR the K241 and used the same Peerless 4 speed 2300 transaxle as the RF tractors. This generation of machine shares more in common with the 200 series (208-216) than the RF tractors. They look like this:

Both are good machines and both have challenges related to them. The '66-'74 machines were more common and much cheaper purchase. They are also a bit smaller (length) and take up less space than the '68-'74 models. There is a repower option for the k181-powered tractor but no options for the k241-powered machines.

If I were to pick up a late 110 I would grab a '74 that was made prior to the move to the 200 series. It would have the k241 and the later style PTO and enjoy it.

I hope the helps you with your original ?

#5 ·
The tractor looks like the one you have in the photo, it is a 1970 model. You mention that you would buy one with the k241 but you say that there are no repower options for it, sounds like a dead end road??? So I take it that the k181 cannot be used as a replacment for the k241. Thanks for your help !!!

#7 ·
Lowell beat me to the punch. The k241 is a very durable motor that will last. If you are into the re-power thing (and I do like the idea of better fuel efficiency) then there is a Linamar/Kubota option for the k181 powered machines that is available here:
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/RepowerItems.asp?Brand=John%20Deere&Model=110

I like the features of the later machines enough to go with the k241 power and rebuild the engine if needed.

#9 ·
I think the 2300 is a great transaxle as long as one heeds the warning signs and makes repairs when needed. Detent springs and shift forks wear. When that happens they will pop out of gear and shift hard. If not corrected, the outcome is potentially destructive. In my case it engaged reverse and a forward gear at the same time and trashed several teeth on the main gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.