• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 massey12guy OFFLINE  

massey12guy
  • Member No: 9913
  • 4 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 08:18 PM

Can you give a belt drive a run for it's money with a hydro? I'm building a MF 12 hydro because I've been told it can't
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 09:55 PM

Theoretically, the hydro will use up a little Hp, but it's a trade off for the conveniences of the hydro control.
  • massey12guy said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 06:32 AM

The hydro is self limiting and may not be setup for or be capable of putting all the engines HP to the ground. I think getting that balance right would be key to making a successful puller. There are many other variables that would come into play such as gearing and of course traction. Let us know how you make out with it!

#4 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 06:33 AM

I would venture to say YES ! But you will have a hard time at it , unless the belt drive rig is a "pressed tin" rig.
If its a Sears,Jacobsen, or Wheel Horse, or even an older Deere , your in for a real challenge ! These rigs CAN PULL!!
So can your Massey ! The Hydro is the weak link, Eaton brands are usually stronger hydraulicly speeking, as they are teamed up with a dual range transmission....interuped ... "yote at the chicken coop ... had to chase him out .. next time he wont be so lucky...
If your hydro doesnt have hi and low..... your going to have a tough time with the belt guys.they can pull a heavy load longer, you may be able to pull a heavier load , but not as far ,as your trans will get too hot and loose its effieciency.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 06:52 AM

Just keep in mind that the Hydro was designed around a specific set of RPM's. Alter those significantly & you'll have troubles.

You probably are better off aiming for more Hp/torque than Hp via more RPM.

#6 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 07:20 AM

Hydros like anything from 2400- 3800 rpm MAX. Any more rpms and it will start to cavitate and thus destroy the pump , one thing a hydro with out a charge pump can't tolorate is stalling it , this creates all kinds of serious issues, and if its a piston/crank style hydro ... OUCH! They really don't like it .
There are all kinds of theorys out there, about % of power loss yada yada, it really boils down to the style of hydro and the power transmission to it. Belt driven hydros instantly have a % of power-loss because of the belt, not good , wait... the tractors your pulling against are belt jobs, so % of power loss will be about equal, unless your rig is belted to the hydro , in that case .... not good...WOT
Not Wide Open Throttle, but Waste Of Time LOL.
If your shaft driven to the hydro then your good , 2 speed transmission , even better, Ball Piston Hydro even better yet.

So all being said, your now armed with a bit more info to charge ahead and do a bit of homework as to see what you have and the direction you may want to go in , good luck , and pictures are manditory! :laughingteeth:

#7 massey12guy OFFLINE  

massey12guy
  • 4 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 06:48 AM

The first pics

2012-05-19_19-41-06_845.jpg 2012-05-20_16-13-26_957.jpg 2012-05-20_16-39-30_871.jpg

Edited by MH81, May 24, 2012 - 12:47 AM.
Added pics

• middleageddeere and MountainMichael have said thanks

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 12:52 AM

Looks like a nice starting point with lots of potential. Thanks for the pics.

#9 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 12:47 PM

How long do you want the hydro to live? You have to bear in mind that the rear end is limited in the power that it can handle.

Hydros are made to get the load moving. Getting it to move fast is not their strong suit.
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#10 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted June 25, 2012 - 07:34 PM

i pulled with a hydro on the weekend you just have to have the weight and tractor balanced and i pulled with my h14 thats repowered with a 16 briggs i had all the power and the hydro was fine however i did not have traction and just powered out
  • MountainMichael said thank you

#11 massey12guy OFFLINE  

massey12guy
  • 4 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 11:47 PM

Well i had my first pull today with the massey 12 hydro we did ok but learned that my stock belt set up is not for pulling there was more smoke coming from the drive belt than the tires even with a brand new green belt time to tear down and revamp.

#12 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 05:44 PM

Can you give a belt drive a run for it's money with a hydro? I'm building a MF 12 hydro because I've been told it can't

I like the way you think-Doubters are always the best incentive !!

#13 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 07:16 PM

As long as you run a shaft drive hydro you will have a very good chance especially if its an Eaton 11/ hi-low range unit. If its a belt drive hydro.... your in for a real battle you may never win .

#14 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 09:01 PM

Well i had my first pull today with the massey 12 hydro we did ok but learned that my stock belt set up is not for pulling there was more smoke coming from the drive belt than the tires even with a brand new green belt time to tear down and revamp.

As a part of your re-vamp, are you going to re-route the belt so it stays in contact with the pulley more? Ie. wraps further around than it currently does?

#15 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 07:44 PM

I just poor a hydro in place of the 8 speed in my wheel horse. I'm be anxious to see the difference. This is the only experience I have with them. Would doubling up the pulleys help? Wonder if a chain instead of the belt would be a disaster?

Sent using Droid.