#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 11:58 AM

Once had Sears, sold them all and now trying again. Bought an SS12 with deck and chains. Fella said it cranks fine, just won't go. Probly that darn ignition system TC used. I'll get a number when I get it home for year. Has the yellow/white paint, big grill with insert missing of course, but just a TC single, not an Onan like most in those years. Must be Onans are in bigger models only? Had manual three paint hitch WITH the top link, that was a plus! I'll be back as I work on it.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 12:42 PM

Congrats and Looking forward to pics. Yellow & white, you say? Must be a little newer than mine, am excited to see it.

#3 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 12:55 PM

Congrats! I look forward to seeing pictures of it. Good luck :thumbs:

#4 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 02:10 PM

Probably wrong on this but I thought the biggest difference between the 12 and 16 Suburbans were the engines.

Edited by GTTinkerer, May 19, 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 03:41 PM

Congratulations on your tractor purchase. Hopefully it won't take much to get her going!

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 11:34 AM

Got a few pix sent to me, hope I can find them in puter now? Lost them. Tractor is an ST12, not SS12, maybe that is making diff on ID? Model 917.25730 and ser. 6424. Has a white deck with poor paint. Found a pix with one with black deck? I'll see if I can get pix here now. The nice black decked one is not mine, stole that from another site.

Attached Thumbnails

• 092.jpg
  • 091.jpg
  • 090.jpg
  • Sears ST12.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 12:02 PM

Most of the nuts & bolts will be very similar to the ss12. Cosmetic and some wiring differences are the main ones I think.

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 07:17 PM

Well, got to mess with the Sears today and got it runnin'. Big mouse nest under dash area about only bad part. Got a new battery, pulled the bowl off carb to clean. Was kinda crappy, not real bad. Gas coming from petcock to pump on carb. Used starter fluid to test before that cleaning and worked, so glad ignition works. Now, will run on choke or part choke, but pulsates pretty bad. I finally tweaked carb needles some and got it ru run fast w/out choke, but still pulsing quite a bit. Won't run slow or idle w/out choke most way on. I get differences in the carb adjustments, just can't get the right spots. Engine doesn't smoke. Drove it around some and trans works, both ranges. Clutch doesn't seem to let go completely. Have to put it in gear before starting to work. Drags then, but doesn't really pull tractor till I let it out. Just you can't stop it enough to shift, keeps grinding. Brake is Non-Existant. Same pedal. Thinking maybe rod disconnect or missing? Will look at that soon. Ran out of time today, but glad it's working some anyway. :smilewink:

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 07:21 PM

My grill is broken on the fiberglass part around the headlights and the insert is gone for belt pass-thru. They must have had a blower, I found the bracket for holding the chute rod on side of tractor. Anyone have these parts to sell? Any interest in that bracket ? Can take a pix if needed. This tractor seems more Yellow than the other models similar to it. Is there a yellow and then later that mustard looking tan? or whatever it was?

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 09:11 PM

The brake band is pretty easy to adjust, once you get under there. You'll need to pull the deck off first and make sure the parking brake handle isn't up and in the way.

Without the brake, it'll just sit there and grind gears.

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 11:45 PM

Couple pix here of the Sears. I have the carb torn off now, soaking in cleaner. Was way gunky in the bowl again and I just cleaned that, so must be gunk in tank. Guess I'll be taking that off and cleaning. Looked like varnish in bowl, must be old gas in that tank. I have carb kit ordered. The pump kit is expensive, was gonna wait on that, but now apart too. Looks clean, but maybe those two seals are bad in it? I can test run w/out it, but will need it for running tractor on it's own.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0247.JPG
  • DSCN0248.JPG

#12 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 11:48 PM

Looks good! I love the look of the old Sears GT's!

Is that a Tec HH120 in that?

#13 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 12:35 AM

Actually doesn't say that on tag. Don't have in front of me now, but was something like model 734? or such. Doesn't look any diff that HH, but didn't really have that stamped in it. I was told would have diff ignition system than the older ones, but still labeled the same on cover.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 08:27 AM

If it's the original engine, it'll start with 143.-------

There were several versions of the ignition system that TC used, this one is probably the one with all the pickups under the flywheel and just the CDI unit mounted outside the flywheel. Was told by a guru that this style was less prone to catastrophic failures than the ones with the pins in the flywheel, no basis in fact, just opinion.

#15 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted May 28, 2012 - 07:13 PM

OK, got numbers on engine tag. MOdel 143 622102 Serial 3038E Like the man above said 143. Tore into tractor more today and found engine block was mostly black, might be a replacement?? Rest is yellow. Pulled batt tray and gas tank. Tank didn't look bad for rust or such, but the gas was mucky, what there was of it. Getting the bolts out for the trays was a paing. All most have nuts you can't reach and two won't come out with the dash in place. Got dash loose to move up is all. That steering wheel aint EVER coming off. I've had to do that in past and ruined them.

Edited by glgrumpy, May 28, 2012 - 07:17 PM.

• MH81 said thank you