• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 06:45 AM

I agrre with Caseguy. In the third pic, it sure looks like there is an oil
shean, on the 2 upper fins, below the stud, that holds the lifting bracket.
That stud may be bottomed out.

Will, I don't think it is bottomed out. The HG could be leaking though for another reason. I made certain when I did the head that the bolts were all free well beyond what was needed to seat the HG. I had to use a tap on some of them to make sure I had enough threads to get a good torque reading. Each bolt was threaded into the hole before I replaced the head and measured to make certain. It is really hard to take pics of this. It looked like the HG was good to me but I'm going to have a closer look today. I was looking at the gasket itself and it could be leaking on the bottom side which wouldn't be as obvious. When I did the HG there was a lot of carbon buildup on the deck. I had to remove that carefully to flatten the deck. It could be that it was not flat enough. I re torqued the HG after running the engine for 15minutes. The most oil seems to be on the middle fins. The fan is blowing oil forward on the motor so that confuses things too. The valve side of the engine is clean. The cylinder side is where the problem is. Because of the way the engine mounts I can't get the Flywheel shroud off without raising the engine. I'll try to get some time to work on it today but it may not happen. Thanks for the input.

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 07:08 AM

Wish I had a brilliant idea, but I don't. All I can do is wish you luck and watch to see what you find.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 09:07 AM

I just had a quick look at the area in question, the head bolt in the front left corner. The gasket looks fine and I barely got dust on my finger when I rubbed those top 2 fins. I used a flash when I took those pics and that may be why it looks wet. Heres a link to the topic last year where I replaced the gasket. You can see how much oil was on the engine then.http://gardentractor...hl__ oily mess

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 09:21 AM

Brian, I think cleaning this as much as you can, then running it to see if you can spot where it is coming from is the best option at the moment. No need to take anymore apart until you have at least tried this.

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 12:19 PM

I got it cleaned up. Used engine degreaser and shop towels in between the fins. There was still a lot of dirt in there that I didn't clean out last year. I think there was a lump of caked on residue where the guys were seeing what they thought was oil by the head bolt. I'm going to take more pictures and put it back together then run it for like a half hour and see what shows up. I have to put it pretty much all back together in order to run it. I am wondering what engines would fit for a repower. I looked on a repower sight and they still have Kohler short blocks 1465$ LOL. Not gonna happen! I really don't need a big twin in this thing. I would like to stay with a single of roughly the same HP.

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 12:20 PM

Even if the cylinder is cracked, it can be sleeved. A bit over $100 to sleeve it.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#22 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 07:31 PM

It looks like it is cracked Daniel. I can't see any other place for the oil to come from. I checked the HG and it looks good all around the head. I re torqued it and none of the bolts moved at all. I didn't know it could be sleeved!! I'm going to advertise locally for another K321 or 341 and see if there's anything out there. I may look for another 300 series tractor for parts as well. I like the old beast and want to keep it as a worker.

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 07:34 PM

It's been a few years since having 2 K341's sleeved at NAPA. Was right at $100 then, so likely $110 or a bit more today.

#24 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 07:53 PM

Too bad, Brian it wasn't as simple as that stud.
Interesting to see where it's coming from.
I wonder what Napa Canada charges to sleeve it?

#25 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 08:01 PM

Brian could you hook shop air into the spark plug hole and maybe spray soapy water around to see if there are any air bubbles? Al
  • IamSherwood and bgkid2966 have said thanks

#26 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 08:03 PM

Brian could you hook shop air into the spark plug hole and maybe spray soapy water around to see if there are any air bubbles? Al

Great idea Al !

#27 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 10:21 AM

Do you guys think that the leak would be large enough to actually show up that way? It took 10 hours for maybe an ounce of oil to run out through there so it must be an extremely small area. Wouldn't combustion and exhaust gases also be coming out through this crack? If oil can get out then gas would be more likely to leak. This is starting to get confusing! Wouldn't the oil that is leaking be on the cylinder under the piston rings. It wouldn't have the pressure on it that the combustion and exhaust gases would have above the rings. I think my brain is hurting. LOL Anyway, this is an interesting problem. I'm going to run it for say 1/2 hour then see what evidence of leakage there is. After that if it's not conclusive maybe we'll try some other method to look for cracks like is suggested above. Isn't there a way to examine metal for fatigue/cracks using some sort of dye that shows up when exposed to UV light.

#28 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 10:42 AM

When my cylinder cracked, I couldn't see it just looking down into the bore. But I could feel it with my fingernail, so then I just found some good black sludge, put some on my finger & wiped across the area. Then when I wiped the bore with a dry rag, the black line showed right up.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#29 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 03:25 PM

JB Weld then emery cloth? I know that sounds like a bandaid, but what do you have to lose! :)

#30 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 03:39 PM

You said you

There was still a lot of dirt in there that I didn't clean out last year.

Think it was just some left on sludge that is worked loose by the heat of running it? It's a nice thought at least.
  • JDBrian said thank you