Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 08:53 PM

Daniel,

I have a small puller I use for my pulleys on my deck.....I have it hooked to it now and then I have tapped the back of the hub with a hammer....its a small puller and really not up to this much pressure/force...... I was planning on going to the hardware store tomorrow to buy a larger one......also used some pbblaster to soak it.....I don't have any way to apply heat.......would you think a hand held propane torch generate enough heat to get it off ??? thanks

#17 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 09:41 PM

Not sure it the propane would help or not. Usually takes more heat than it could develop. The problem is the small propane torch will heat slow, and raise the axle temp almost as fast, causing the axle to expand. Using acetelyne heats the hub fast and expands it faster than the heat can transfer to the axle.
  • sacsr said thank you

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted May 27, 2012 - 07:02 AM

I agree, acetylene is the best for this, possibly MAPP gas ( you may be able to rent a MAPP set or a small torch set from somewhere)

Growing up, we didn't have a torch set. Handheld propane only. One thing that worked for us on occasion, was to keep the shaft wet with a little running water while you heat the hub. Took forever that way. I mean, you were at it so long you got bored, but the water keeps the heat from traveling back and destroying the seals, etc.

My grandpa swore by heating as much as you could, then melting a candle against the seam you were trying to get apart. Never had any more luck with that than with Blaster.
  • sacsr said thank you