tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 09:43 PM

I've been hanging around reading what frenchy and Kenny P were doing with the box blade design and decided I would get busy on another project while I'm waiting for parts to come in next week for my tiller project. I stopped to see an old friend back in January and we started talking garden tractors. I mentioned I wanted to build a blade but would like to find an old one to make what I wanted from. He said, "I've got an old Craftsman I'll give you and that'll make us even." I didn't know what he meant until he reminded me I built him a gas tank for his Jeep 28 years ago and refused payment except a couple of cold adult beverages which we enjoyed as we swapped stories. Linda asked, "What are you going to do with that piece of JUNK? I said I would turn it into something. Here's the picture.

Blade Build 001.jpg

I next got out the 4 1/2" grinder and cut 5 1/2 inches off the top and removed just about everything I could.

Blade Build 002.jpg

I found some 6" channel iron and cut a piece to weld onto the bottom blade stiffener and between the two upright braces.

Blade Build 003.jpg

I took the top horizontal brace and cut it to length and put a half-moon notch in it to accept the 2 7/8 OD pipe upright and welded it in place.

Blade Build 004.jpg

Using the original top plate as a pattern I made a new one from some 1/4 plate I have. I would have had to flatten the original one to get this so a new one was easier. Welded the 2 7/8" upright to the plate.

Blade Build 005.jpg

Edited by tinner, May 29, 2012 - 04:03 PM.

• KennyP, JDBrian and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 05:27 AM

You are making good progress on that Tinner. Keep us up to date on this project.
  • tinner said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,346 Thanks
  • 39,627 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 05:37 AM

Way to go, Ronnie! This looks very interesting to follow!
  • tinner said thank you

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 05:44 AM

Lookin forward to more updates on this Tinner.
A good blade is also on my list of projects.
  • tinner said thank you

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 06:38 AM

I love watching stuff like this take shape.
Thanks for the thread Ronnie.
  • tinner said thank you

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 12:09 PM

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This project could turn out to be a beaut. Fun to follow along. Thanks
  • tinner said thank you

#7 frenchy OFFLINE  

frenchy

• Member No: 2666
  • 29 Thanks
  • 163 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 01:43 PM

That's a good find indeed! Post more pics when it's all done :)
  • tinner said thank you

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 04:13 PM

Ronnie, Looks like your plan is coming together. You did a very nice job cutting the notches in that plate. Can't wait for more updates. :thumbs:
  • tinner said thank you

#9 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 07:20 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Here's the progress report: Today I got the tack welds cleaned up and welded things solid. First I cut a round notch in the main beam of the old blade to accept the 3" ID pipe and welded it up. Then I made some gussets for a little added strength and welded them on.

Blade Build 006.jpg Blade Build 007.jpg

Then I slipped the 2 7/8 OD upright with the plate on it down through the top of the main beam pipe and slipped the collar in place. Here's a picture of the collar on the 2 7/8" pipe.

Blade Build 008.jpg

Then I welded it all up. Here's a couple pictures, first one is with blade in back push position and second in the pull or drag position.

Blade Build 009.jpg Blade Build 010.jpg

I think this might work out ok after all. I welded a three point hook-up I made several months ago so I would have one just in case I ever needed it (now I need to make another one just in case). Hooked it to the MF14 to see how it looks.

Blade Build 011.jpg Blade Build 012.jpg

Put the spring back on to hold the position latch in place.

Blade Build 013.jpg

Now, that's it for now. I cut some 3" X 2" X 1/4" tube I had and took it to the shop I used to work at to use the water jet table to cut the holes for the ripper teeth. They're covered up with work right now so he said he'll knock it out for me hopefully by next Thursday. So finishing the box part will come in about a week or so. That's ok though as the pulley I was waiting for came in today and I can get to work on my 3 point tiller project.
  • MH81, KennyP and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 09:56 PM

That's really coming together nicely Ronnie! Thanks for posting the build pics!
  • tinner said thank you

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,346 Thanks
  • 39,627 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 04:51 AM

Looking good, Ronnie! Nice idea to spin 180 degrees. Thanks for the pics!
  • tinner said thank you

#12 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 04:37 PM

Got the rectangle tubing back from the shop where I used to work. Ron did a nice job of cutting the holes for the rippers to go through.

Blade Build 014.jpg Blade Build 015.jpg

I next cut two pieces of 1 1/2" x 1/2" flat stock and drilled a hole in the center then welded a 1/2" nut to one side. Then I slipped them into the ends of the tubing and welded them into place. I then cut 12 pieces of 2" x 1/.4" flat stock 1 1/2" long and drilled 9/16" holes in them and welded them into place to hold the rippers. As you can see, I'm not the best welder in town but I live in the country so I can get away with it.

Blade Build 017.jpg Blade Build 016.jpg

Then I cut a piece of tubing and slanted the cuts to give me access, drilled two 1/2" holes. This will support the ripper bar.

Blade Build 018.jpg Blade Build 019.jpg

I welded two 3/8" all thread couplings to each side and drilled the required holes in 1/4" end plates and bolted them in place.

Blade Build 020.jpg Blade Build 021.jpg

Almost forgot, I made a handle to make it easier to move the latch back so I can angle the blade when using it as just a plain blade with the box and rippers off.

Blade Build 022.jpg

I bought a stick of 1 1/2" x 1/2" flat stock to fabricate the rippers. I cut them on my cut off saw except the tips which I couldn't get enough angle on so I cut them with the 4 1/2" grinder.

Blade Build 023.jpg

Then I installed the rippers. I forgot to buy the 1/2" round rod that will hold them in place so I've got them held in with some 1/2" all thread rod for now.. I also need to drill one more set of holes in the rippers to hold them up off the ground if I just want to use the box blade without ripping up the ground.

Blade Build 024.jpg Blade Build 025.jpg

The only thing left to do is sand blasting and painting. Can't make up my mind whether I want to paint it black or red. Red's always good. Hope I haven't rattled along too long or bored anyone with too many steps in telling how I built this combo blade and box blade. Forgot so I'm editing to include that the total out of pocket cost so far is $40. and change for 1 1/2" flat stock and I think about $6 worth of nuts, bolts and washers. All I have to buy is some 1/2" round stock or 1/2" bolts to hold the rippers in place. I used about 1/2 of a 14" cut off saw blade and 9 cut off blades in the 4 1/2" grinder so you can add another $15 plus power for the tools and welder. Not too bad I don't think. It was fun and finally, The Jewel.

Edited by tinner, May 29, 2012 - 08:59 PM.

• MH81, KennyP and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#13 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 04:57 PM

That is impressive! Wish I had the skills to do that!! Thanks for sharing the process it takes to make one.
  • tinner said thank you

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,346 Thanks
  • 39,627 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 04:58 PM

Looks like it should work fine for you. Great Job!
  • tinner said thank you

#15 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted May 29, 2012 - 05:42 PM

That was a Fantastic Get 'Er Done!!! The walk through and pics are top quality. Better than alot of those how to shows with a BIG budget and production team! Thanks so much for sharing the wisdom and skills. KEEP ON DOIN' WHAT YOU DO !!!

:smiley-score009: (reserved 1point for paint) :poke:

• tinner said thank you