#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 7,731 Thanks
  • 7,353 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 09:27 PM

Portland IN swap meet. Met a guy who has a real early speedex. He says right after the tiller steer one, about a 59? Has 6hp briggs in it. Pedal for drive and brake. Drive is only a forward/reverse one speed gear box. Chain to bull gear set-up like others. Brake is just a soft pad to push back on the pulley of same box. Was a drum on axle drive, but parts missing. Seat support is wrong and something welded on to hold a panseat. He wants $100. Has a hood, but no dash? Supposed to be a dash? Looks like S series hood on it. Tires pretty good. Those are real narrow 16" ags. Saw another like it, was a 1040. Wanted $400 for it, running/driving. Has the peerless axle in that one. That same fella with early model told me stories of speedex history that would make anyone sick. He bought out much of speedex parts when out of business, couldn't sell and just scrapped them after few years of no sales!! He also claims to have bought out all of the Rice parts when he went broke and tried to re-invent the company. Scrapped most of that also....! He told me name, seem to have forgotten now. Sad story. Seems he also got all the office furniture and papers/manuals/ designs, etc. No one wanted he claimed and burned it all later...Sheesh!

#2 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,354 Thanks
  • 1,804 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 10:03 PM

came down to him and that's what he did? I can't read his heart or situation but somehow piece of mine jus broke :( He kinda killed the sale to me, not sure if I could give him my money...

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,530 Thanks
  • 29,579 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 06:52 AM

Sad story.
If the Speedex is a runner, that'd be not too bad a deal. Maybe haggle a little over the missing parts?

Of course you need another tractor! :)

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 7,731 Thanks
  • 7,353 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 11:53 AM

Guy was stubborn. Offered $50 just to start and he said hood would sell for that. I didn't need it, didn't like the mods it had done to it and missing parts, so let it go. Having plenty of issues with my own Speedex now, which no one seems to know of. Showed some collectors the pictures of mine, and they think the nose casting is a Yanmar one?? Got all that metal blasted now, just gotta get out and paint before it rusts again!

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,354 Thanks
  • 1,804 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 11:58 AM

was this the $100 or the $400 deal?

either way enjoy your self while out there. one closed door usually reveals an open one just out of view...

Edited by Newpaws493, May 19, 2012 - 12:00 PM.