• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 08:50 PM

Anyone know the model of the rear used in these tractors? I have a 1975 Jim Dandy with the k321 and 16"
wheels. I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine so I might as well check out the rear. I work at a place that rebuilds heavy truck parts including 1000's of rears. Just want to see what parts are available. Thanks for any information.

Edited by pharmer, May 18, 2012 - 05:25 AM.

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 08:54 PM

It's a DANA rear but I don't know the model. I might be able to find you something tomorrow, or you can check the manual section if you want.

Also, are you sure they are 14 inch wheels? If they are original it would have 16 inch wheels.

#3 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 08:58 PM

Sorry, yes they are 16" . You're right about the Dana. Spicer bought them out and I hear Spicer/Dana all the time at work. I would appreciate the info when you get a cance.

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 06:22 PM

I could not find an exact model for you. There is a manual on the site that has diagram of the rear in it. It's in the pt.2 file but, I suggest downloading both of them in case you need a manual.

http://gardentractor...m-dandy-manual/
  • pharmer said thank you

#5 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 07:56 PM

That' probably what I'll do. The guys that rebuild these things all day should be able to tell me more. And of course any and all the info I get will be posted for everyone to share. After all, that's what make this site the best source on tractors. Thanks for your help.
  • MH81 and Ryan313 have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 12:13 PM

Dana/Spicer is same company. Spicer more known for U-joints tho. and tranny's. I'm wondering about taking apart my rear on my late model 1617. Those engines are turned around, thusly the rear must turn opposite from metal ones too? Ring on other side? I want to use reg pto side of an engine for modified unit. SO...will I need to "flip" the rear to make it work? THEN, wondering how easy it is to get the tubes out of those Bull Gear boxes to do that? I don't think they are welded in, just pressed, yet wonder if they really can be removed and re-inserted? I do see metal tractor parts listed on epay seperately, so must come apart, just don't know how they do it and how hard. What you think?

Edited by glgrumpy, May 19, 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#7 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 08:25 AM

When I go to work Monday I'll inquire about how these things come apart. Hopefully I can get an intelligent answer for you. What engine is on your tractor, and how does it differ from the older PK's ?

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 07:10 AM

85 and up PK's have engines turned around and run off the flywheel side like other brands do. SO, engine is running in opposite direction at the driveline. SO, thinking the gears set-up in rear end to match direction? The tranny's and clutches are not known to be a good unit on these and are big trouble, slipping all the time and wearing soon. My thought is to use standard drive line from the early PK with Big bellhousing, same clutch and enclosed drive shaft. A much simpler, more durable driveline. OR, might even make my own system with just a belt to tighten for a clutch. Not sure what to use for a tranny if I did that.