#1 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted June 30, 2010 - 02:09 PM

Ok, a few years ago, my grandpa gave me a John Deere 60 lawn tractor for my B-day.
The techy that was in it had a thrown rod. So, being me at that age and having know Idea what I was doing, I took it all apart. well, the techy whent out the window. and the tractor, Complete with mower deck and the mounts is sittying in the weeds behind my garadge. I need to find a good engine. Where these rare tractors?

#2 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted June 30, 2010 - 03:06 PM

I have a 70 with a similar engine problem (bad crank causing shattered rods). Cranks are hard to find in decent condition. All I have come across are worn beyond specs. The 60 and 70 models are becoming more collectible because they were tossed aside for the larger models for years and years so many got scrapped. They are handy and light (relatively) to toss in a pickup and take to shows/etc. The problem with the engines in the 60 and 70 is that the crankshaft is specifically designed for those models' PTO clutch. A Briggs or other engine would drop in but you wouldn't be able to power anything from the PTO. There are some websites that discuss the conversion possibilities. I keep going back and forth whether to restore my 70 or part it out. It could be costly for the engine to do what I want but then again, I could just use it as a driver or pull a cart around with it. These mowers can look pretty cute restored next to a big one or if you want a round-fendered JD and can't find a 110 or 112.

#3 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted June 30, 2010 - 03:11 PM

I have a 70 with a similar engine problem (bad crank causing shattered rods). Cranks are hard to find in decent condition. All I have come across are worn beyond specs. The 60 and 70 models are becoming more collectible because they were tossed aside for the larger models for years and years so many got scrapped. They are handy and light (relatively) to toss in a pickup and take to shows/etc. The problem with the engines in the 60 and 70 is that the crankshaft is specifically designed for those models' PTO clutch. A Briggs or other engine would drop in but you wouldn't be able to power anything from the PTO. There are some websites that discuss the conversion possibilities. I keep going back and forth whether to restore my 70 or part it out. It could be costly for the engine to do what I want but then again, I could just use it as a driver or pull a cart around with it. These mowers can look pretty cute restored next to a big one or if you want a round-fendered JD and can't find a 110 or 112.

I might as well part it out. Though I would have to ask my grandpa. I know a guy that would like my 60 deck.And the trans is in workable condition.

#4 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted June 30, 2010 - 05:01 PM

The 60's first came out in 1966. So you may want to find out what year it is first before you decide to part it out. Secondly you might want to consider that your grandpa did give it to you for your birthday and sometime down the road he will not be around and you will be kicking yourself for parting it out wishing you had it back. Just my 2cents.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted June 30, 2010 - 05:13 PM

The 60's first came out in 1966. So you may want to find out what year it is first before you decide to part it out. Secondly you might want to consider that your grandpa did give it to you for your birthday and sometime down the road he will not be around and you will be kicking yourself for parting it out wishing you had it back. Just my 2cents.

:ditto:

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted June 30, 2010 - 05:27 PM

:ditto::ditto: NOTHING is better than having Gramp's tractor when you are older...nothing! Keep it, but put it away where it won't rust away. Later in life, you will be very happy you kept it.

#7 DGS345 OFFLINE  

DGS345

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 513
  • 16 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted June 30, 2010 - 07:21 PM

:ditto::ditto::ditto:

#8 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted June 30, 2010 - 08:35 PM

NOTHING is better than having Gramp's tractor when you are older...nothing! Keep it, but put it away where it won't rust away. Later in life, you will be very happy you kept it.

:ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto:

#9 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted June 30, 2010 - 09:44 PM

OK, I am keeping it. You never know when you will find another companion for this 60. Or I might find a techy that would work.

#10 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 12:09 AM

Good decision. Although you'd be hard pressed to find anyone on this site that would recommend getting rid of a tractor. Good luck in your Tecumseh search. I just lost an Ebay auction on a crank for my 70. $50+ was just a little too steep for me but now of course I'm regretting not going higher.

#11 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 12:33 AM

True about that one. I was once gonna buy a wheel horse raider 10. I ask if he would take 125 I think? He grabed it. But then the day before we where gonna pick it up. he changed his mind. And he wanted 250. That made me so mad. But, I am guessing we have all been there. But (again), I hope to soon get a new tractor.

#12 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 01:32 AM

I know. I wish people would stick to their word. I've been burned like that before too. I've also agreed to terms and found out I could get more in the meantime but I swalled it and moved on. Craigs List is good for people sneaking in and bidding up something after a deal has been made. Just ticks me off.

#13 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 11:46 AM

DSCI0964..jpg
Putting a tractor to a name. lol

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 12:12 PM

That JD is in pretty darnd good shape. But my reasoning for keeping it has nothing to do with it being a tractor. It could be a cheap pocket watch and my opinion would still be to keep it. Anything your Grandpa gives you will have meaning well beyond what the item is. It will be that you have something your Grandpa used & held in his hands...that will be why you'll be glad you have it. Your Grandpa will not always be with you, but that tractor or whatever he has given you will keep memories alive & well. Heck, hard as it may be for you to fathom, one day you might hand that tractor down to YOUR Grandson! It will last forever cared for.

#15 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 01:17 PM

Its is very true. Though he didnt use it. He is a scraper and got it at a cleanup. But, it still aplys to this tractor. Did I mention it also has a mower deck and everything to mount it?