• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,299 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 08:21 AM

Cant go wrong with the brand IMHO. George, hurry up with those actions shots.

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 08:33 AM

I had a Ryobi trimmer and it was a POS to speak plainly. It took 15minutes to get it going and it would run erratically. I took it in for service under warranty and they told me it was just bad gas. Got it home and it was still the same way. Apparently they were all like that. Some sort of carb issue I think. Eventually i got sick of dealing with it and got rid of it. If I buy another it will be a Stihl. I have a good dealer for them (The JD dealership) and have one of their chain saws as well.

#18 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 10:11 AM

I have Poulan stuff. The Sears chainsaw, leaf blower and Poulan Pro trimmer. I hadn't used the saw in years and I pulled so much the cord came out of the recoil. I finally got it going. The others get used every week or so in the summer. No problem with storage over last winter. I started using Seafoam last year.

I think I would go with a Stihl product if any need replacement.

Waiting for the pictures.

Edited by daytime dave, May 18, 2012 - 10:11 AM.

#19 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 08:59 PM

We got home from taking the tractors to the Little Guys Show about 45 minutes ago. I had to change the dressing on my wife's ankle before checking in on the site.
Figuring George would be too busy, I went to the garage to get some pics of his new trimmer. Ignore the date as I haven't yet reset it since installing new batteries.
Hopefully some action shots will be posted in the near future.

Stihl trimmer 001.JPG Stihl trimmer 002.JPG Stihl trimmer 002.JPG Stihl trimmer 003.JPG
  • NUTNDUN and MH81 have said thanks

#20 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 09:10 PM

I guess I will have to wear my pink and purple tie died thong for the action shots :D

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,299 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 09:13 PM

Here's my nomination for the "Things you can't unread" and "Mental images you didn't want" categories.

I guess I will have to wear my pink and purple tie died thong for the action shots :D

#22 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 09:17 PM

Here's my nomination for the "Things you can't unread" and "Mental images you didn't want" categories.

LMAO, at least I didn't say I would bend over.

On a serious note, I want to try and get out and do some weed trimming some time this weekend but not sure when since we have the Little Guys show to go to.

#23 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 04:05 PM

Nice trimmer george. In my mind you can't go wrong with that. We've had a Stihl FS66 and FS81 at the farm for YEARS! Never once done anyhting to either of them and they always work like a charm.

#24 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 05:58 PM

I didn't get a chance to use the trimmer today like I was planning. We just got home from the Little Guys show for the day and going to eat dinner and call it a night. Will try and get some trimming done tomorrow.

#25 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 10:15 PM

George,

I have had stihl products since 1988....my stihl o28super chainsaw still runs well...outside of cleaning...new chain and bar recently...have had no repair cost to think of.....my stihl blower is about 12 years old.....my neighbor borrowed it one day and 2 weeks later he bought one.....looked across the street a month or so later and my other neighbor had one...guess they had been talking.. :blush2:

I bought a newer brushcutter last year..think I got the 110....I decided to go with the handlebars because I bought it to clean brush on some land I own. I had to clear small saplings and pretty heavy brush...I have been please with it so far as well.....I will say for "weedeating".....the handlebars would wear me out in my opinion as well......but to cut the heavy brush with a saw blade I think the handlebars are a must. I sure feel better with that blade a good distance way from my legs!!

Enjoy the Stihl!

#26 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,495 Thanks
  • 5,022 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 10:22 PM

Stihl makes good stuff, Just that simple. Congratulations on your purchase.

#27 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 07:22 AM

Speaking of the blower. I would love to get one of the backpack blowers at some point. It is a pain in the arse with all the trees and having to clean out the pool area every year. Between the maple tree that is right beside the pool and all of the pines that are at the back fence row. It leaves a big mess each year.

#28 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted May 25, 2012 - 10:10 AM

Just one quick add to this thread...people have the predisposition that 89 and up fuel has a lower flash point which would lend itself to a quicker or hotter burn...This is NOT the case The higher the rating the less likely the fuel is to 'pre ignite' which is why JP5 (Jet propellant) is very close to diesel fuel. And Ethanol is used in Dragsters...So really what the oil and higher octane rating is doing is allowing your engine to operate 'somewhat more stable' due to the fact it will resist preignition...

Good Luck with the trimmer...

#29 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 10, 2012 - 09:49 PM

To add to the Stihl discussion...

I purchased the FS 70 RC-E today along with the BG 55 blower. I officially got fed up with my 14 year old Homelite string trimmer. The FS 70 is a tank compared to the Homelite and is much easier to start. After spending three summers on grounds crew during seminary and using Stihl products I am sold on them.

Posted Image
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#30 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 11, 2012 - 07:19 AM

To add to the Stihl discussion...

I purchased the FS 70 RC-E today along with the BG 55 blower. I officially got fed up with my 14 year old Homelite string trimmer. The FS 70 is a tank compared to the Homelite and is much easier to start. After spending three summers on grounds crew during seminary and using Stihl products I am sold on them.

Congrats on the new Stihl trimmer and blower Travis. I would love to get a backpack blower at some point because of all of the trees and of course the leaves all seem to end up in the pool area.
  • Trav1s said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stihl, fs 90r, trimmer