Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Thanks To Casey

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 06:57 PM

I have been thinking about mounting a winch on the back of my tractor to raise and lower the implements on the back instead of using the lifting arm for the deck, at my age it gets rough at times. :laughingteeth:

Any way I saw how Casey had done his on the Cat. so I asked him some about it and he gave me some good guidance so below is the out come of that guidance

Right side view of winch.JPG

Left sid View of Winch.JPG

Rear View of winch.JPG

closeup of base.JPG

Button.JPG

My Son-in-Law made the bracket and did all the welding.
  • grand, tractorman604 and MH81 have said thanks

#2 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 07:02 PM

Now that is pretty slick !! :thumbs: :canada:

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 07:07 PM

Bill it looks good and much easier than the hand operated lever. I assume you will be getting something heavier to go between the winch hook and the black lever on the hitch. A chain quick link or an anchor shackle would do the job.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 07:10 PM

Great job! I think Casey will be proud that he inspired your design!
I'll prob have to do something like this for my Dad soon also. :thumbs:

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 08:25 PM

Brian, I going in the morning to get a quick link. I just ran short on time today and I honestly didn't think I would get it done today. I had to finish a service on a ATV this morning and I wanted to get my new GPS wired up on the bike for this weekend to check it out so the tractor was my 3rd priority today.

It will defiantly make things a lot easier.

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 08:42 PM

Bill, that looks awesome, hands down you did well. I do have to mention a couple things. You should buy a pulley block and mount a ring to your winch mast so that you can double your cable. I found that it was way too fast as single line pull for the plow, and caused it to bounce around during raising and lowering. Secondly, another thing to think about, is shortening your winch cable (on the spool) by around half, and rewind under a constant load. I did that to mine for a few reasons. I wanted the get the mechanical advantage of winding closer to the center of the spool for the increased load capacity. Seocondly, the manual said (hidden pretty good too) that you MUST rewind the winch under a 500 pound constant load before use or you risk ruining the cable. I didn't read the manual the first day, and guess what happened... ruined about 3 spots in the cable... so by shortening it up by half I got rid of the damage. Also, there is 50 feet of cable on that winch, and it will reach things you really don't need to hook to, and you won't ever be using it for those types of missions in its current setup. Unless, you mount a hook point to the back of the tractor to relocate the pulley block, as I do do that you pull against you mast straight, and then to the object you are pulling from the tractor. Believe me, you did an excellent job on the winch setup, just have to refine it. :D

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 09:19 PM

Thanks Casey for the advice. When I go tomorrow to get a quick link I'll see about getting a pulley block. I wondered why you had the pulley block on yours. The big issue I ran into is my back plate on the tractor is set about 30 degree inward so i had to compensate for that. If I hadn't seen yours in last month's Tractor of the month thread I would probably still be trying to come up with a good way to make it work. Also having a talent Son-in-law really helps. I just gave him the plans and he made the attachment.

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 09:28 PM

Bill, I am glad I could help you, and having talented relatives is really great. Can't wait to see what you come up with for it tomorrow.

#9 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 09:57 PM

Bill, that sure looks great.

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 10:10 PM

Nice job on the lift. I also think you will like it a lot better using the snatch block to slow things down.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 04:33 AM

Nice set up! Hope it works okay for what you want. I'm finding that metals bend easier than I thought it would.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 05:17 AM

Bill, while you are picking up your hardware look at the anchor shackles. You can get them in various sizes. The pin of the shackle would give you more surface area on the hole in the black lever and would not tend to pull and wear it out of round like a quick link will. If you consider this option make sure you look at how wide the opening is on the hook to make sure it will go over the shackle body.

#13 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 07:26 AM

Thanks for posting this. I have been wanting to go with something other than the manual lift also, it gives me more idea's.

#14 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 09:19 AM

Nice set up! Hope it works okay for what you want. I'm finding that metals bend easier than I thought it would.

I worried about that, Jason made it out of solid steel that was a bear to drill through, plus I mainly want it for my box blade so I hope that it will be strong enough. If not I'll be on here looking for suggestions and with Jason we will come up with a solution.

#15 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 09:23 AM

Bill, while you are picking up your hardware look at the anchor shackles. You can get them in various sizes. The pin of the shackle would give you more surface area on the hole in the black lever and would not tend to pull and wear it out of round like a quick link will. If you consider this option make sure you look at how wide the opening is on the hook to make sure it will go over the shackle body.

Thanks Brian, That is a good suggestion, it would last longer. It had a pin in it originally so going back with another pin makes sense. I'll just take the old pin with me.