33 replies to this topic

#16 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 09:22 PM

I talked nicely to the tech at the local service station who broke the beads with the tire changer...

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 09:42 PM

I have had a few stubborn ones from time to time. I bought one of those tire "spoons" from TSC and have found that it's a good way to push the sidewall down far enough to work a large flat screwdriver (and then another one beside it) into where the bead seats. A little muscle and a lot of patience (a little PB Blaster can be your friend also) and I haven't had to cut one off...yet. The key I think is to get the screwdriver over the top of the bead where all the reinforcing wires are located. The one that I use has a nice wide blade and sometimes just twisting it while working the other one in does the trick.

That works for me too. Though I have to admit to another trick I used. Be so cheap you fill the tire with Green Slime and run it that way for a year because your too cheap to buy a tube. That's slick enough that it slides right off and washes out with water.

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 17, 2012 - 09:43 PM.

#18 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 09:57 PM

Great ideas guys! I had tried a penatrating oil on this one as well - no luck, even after letting it sit overnight.
And I was ALMOST to the throw it in the burn barrel stage myself.

One neighbor suggested running over the tire (make sure to miss the rim...) with the truck and "that would pop it off the rim." We didn't try that one though......

I was looking for ideas on Youtube- no bead breaking videos that helped,but saw a few SCARY ones about reseating tires on the rim - using ether or propane in the tire and lighting it off to have the explosion seat the bead!!!!!

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 04:51 AM

I use my HF tire changer to break the beads. I have only had one that caused a big problem. I had a 6' cheater pipe on there and broke the bolts holding the base together. A few grade 8 bolts and large thick washers later, I got the bead broken. I use soapy water for lube. That bad one had a lot of old tire sealer in it. Definitely sealed the bead. I have some 8" wheels I need to change tires on. I'll see about getting some pics of the setup I use for these to break them down. The holder I built does great for getting the tire off the wheel.
Image025 (Small).jpg
Image032 (Small).jpg
Image028 (Small).jpg

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 06:15 AM

Guys, I have a question about those tire changers. There is one for sale right now at Princess auto for 8" to 16" tires. This wouldn't work for 8"fronts that had a bearing in them would it? It's meant for a rim with a centre hole. This is on sale for 50$. Does it look like it's worth it.

tire changer.jpg

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 06:24 AM

Guys, I have a question about those tire changers. There is one for sale right now at Princess auto for 8" to 16" tires. This wouldn't work for 8"fronts that had a bearing in them would it? It's meant for a rim with a centre hole. This is on sale for 50$. Does it look like it's worth it.

tire changer.jpg

That's the one I have from HF. You are correct about the 8" wheels not fitting the post above. That's why I built the one for them with a 5/8" all thread to hold them. But, it will break the bead on small wheels. I've even broke 4" wheel beads with this. I have had to rotate the tire and push the bead down a little at a time to get some to break loose. Those four bolts holding the base together are less than grade 5. I snapped one of those when I had the cheater pipe on it. Works pretty good with car wheels too.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#22 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 07:23 AM

Man, I thought I had the ticket till you said you tried the excavator bucket right off the bat.
My old favorite was the stabilizer on (any) backhoe.

#23 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 08:28 AM

The tractor loader bucket edge on my compact tractor would be a good weapon for those as well. It seems the larger tires aren't as much trouble as these little fronts. Maybe it's because the larger tire doesn't have to distort as much percentage wise to go over the rim. I know it's not a job I look forward to!

#24 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 07:03 PM

tire changer.jpg Brian, mine is the smaller one(like this) - not the one pictured in your post. From what I understand, HF stopped making the bigger one. But they still may be available as in stock items in some locations.

I was SURE the excavator teeth were going to pop the bead loose - but no luck - I did flip the tire over a couple times like popping a soda cap though!!!!!
  • JDBrian said thank you

#25 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 10:24 PM

I like the idea of using heat and the press. Sounds like a winning combination. I'll have to try my small weed burner the next time I find myself wrestling one of those tires. The press works most of the time but once in a while I run into a bad one.

#26 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 05:16 AM

You want pics of an out of shape, overweight guy hanging on an old signpost trying to break down a tire???

Okeedokee, next time I have to break on down, you got it...

Just remember Will, you asked for it... LOL

Just make sure you cover up the crack!!! LOL

#27 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 05:54 AM

tire changer.jpg Brian, mine is the smaller one(like this) - not the one pictured in your post. From what I understand, HF stopped making the bigger one. But they still may be available as in stock items in some locations.

I was SURE the excavator teeth were going to pop the bead loose - but no luck - I did flip the tire over a couple times like popping a soda cap though!!!!!

Thanks Tennblue. We don't have harbour freight up here but an outfit called Princess Auto. To make up for the wimpy name their house brand is called "POWER FIST" LOL! Anyway, they appear to sell a lot of the same stuff that HF does. The changer in your post is also in their catalog. An excavator bucket tooth - man that was pretty much welded in place! Amazing how stubborn these little front tires can be.

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 06:13 AM

Especially those that have been filled with Fix-a-Flat or similar. I've bent rims trying to get some off.

#29 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 06:28 AM

Kenny, I battled the 6" rims on my MF8 for a long time before just giving up and cutting off the tire. I find the new tires are difficult to install as well. I ended up clamping a piece of 3/4 round in a vice and mounting the wheel on it. I put a shaft collar on as well to keep it from moving up the shaft. That made it a lot easier to install them. It was sort of the beginnings of a crude tire changer. Wheel barrow tires can be a pain as well. I love those new solid tires that can never go flat!

#30 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 11:05 PM

Put em in a vise and tighted em up...till they are 'scrunched together...once the bead breaks ...viola you're in, then use plenty of dish soap...and you got it...