Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 06:01 AM

I planted 5 different seed potatoes , cut them in half some whole at least an eye or two on each piece at the same time had potatoes from last year that where all shrived up and eyes growing all over the place . Planted those whole and they all look great where as the seed potatoes not all have come up and only a few look as good as the old potatoes . Do you think I should have let the seed potatoes start to grow roots and then cut/ plant them ? Or does anyone have a way they've had good luck with ? Thanks , Al

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 09:02 AM

Al, That is a tough question. I planted 4 kinds of seed potatoes Good Friday. There was nothing special about them, no roots just eyes. They are all needing first hilling this weekend. I only had a few skips in 3 1/2 50 ft. rows. A day or two can make a big difference. I checked one day and was disapointed and two days later they had all come up.
Last Friday, dad said he had some table potatoes that had sprouted and wanted to know if he should plant them.
We planted 20 hills for him on my place last Friday, so will see how they go? I have little doubt they will grow.
Though we have had a really dry May, and I checked and the ground was bone dry, where we planted Dad's potatoes.
So I watered them Tuesday night.
How long ago did you plant? Different varieties take longer to pop through the surface.
Yukon Gold is a favorite of mine, They seem to be the slowest to come up, but are the first to have the vines die out.
Kennebeck are one of the earliest to come up they will have a white bloom. And Red Pontiac are later than the Kenebeck, they bloom later, and will have a lavender bloom. This is my first year trying the Russets so while they are about 6" tall, I'm not sure what to expect.
Now I'm sure there can be a difference in quality of the seed, so where you got it might have some bearing.
But I've been lucky, I guess. The wife did not get the seed from a nursery or known mail order supplier.
She bought it from the Fareway store, a grocery chain in Iowa. And I have no idea where they buy their seed.
The Red River Valley in Minnesota and North Dakota, is famous for their production of potatoes. And being relatively close I suspect the seed comes from around there?

Another thing is if needed you could still replant if needed. Many years ago I was at a greenhouse buying seed and was griping about the fact I never seemed to be able to get my potatoes in by Good Friday.
The guy who ran the greenhouse, said he always planted the potatoes to keep through the winter on June 10th as a late crop.

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 17, 2012 - 09:07 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#3 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 09:59 PM

Alc, we're in the same zone, so maybe this will help. The dry doesn't hurt , potatoes can sit and wait on the moisture. You might want to dig up some of the ones that didn't come up and see if they rotted, if your peices were too big that can happen,A potato the size of your fist can be cut 4 or maybe even 5 ways. Also they may have froze off, we had some that did, if they were a couple of inches tall they may grow back.
Your kennebec's are a late storing potatoe, for summer time users, try superior, red norlands and cobblers, cobblers are a good fryer like kennebec.Superior make the best mashed potatoes
We planted ours on presidents day, the kennebecs and kanonas are a few inches high and everything else is higher than my knees and in full blossum
One thing to remember , your talking with people all across the country, the advice they give maybe great for thier area and not so hot for you
  • Alc said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 06:57 AM

Al, some of mine are up & some aren't. I've found size, depth, differences in moisture, shade (ground temp) all have major influence on "out of the ground" time. As long as they didn't rot, they'll show and probably catch up easily.
  • Alc said thank you

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 02:11 PM

Here's a pictures taken this morning of the seed potatoes , they are three rows across the bed spaced about a foot apart , the yellow marker is the center of the three. The second are the old potatoes from last year that are planted in a different area of the garden , pretty sure all are growing. Hope more of those seed potatoes start growing but will have enough as long as those old potatoes produce some , I'll keep everyone posted , Al
Forgot to mention that in the picture of the seed potatoes there's a 4th row on the right coming up , those are potatoes I planted last fall , When I was digging them up there where some damaged or too small to keep so I planted them , guessing Oct.

Attached Thumbnails

• P5180580.JPG
  • P5180582.JPG

Edited by Alc, May 18, 2012 - 02:14 PM.

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 18, 2012 - 07:55 PM

Al I can not see where your doing anything that would inhibit growth at all. the mulch before the plants come up may make the ground temperature lower? That might make them slower until the come up? I did have to pull the mulch back around my fall planted shallots this spring. The Garlic grew right up through it. I got no answers, but it is curious.

On that 4th row of fall planted potatoes,I've never heard of that being done. But it looks like a good idea.
  • Alc said thank you

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 06:22 AM

On that 4th row of fall planted potatoes,I've never heard of that being done. But it looks like a good idea.

Seems ever year I would miss or leave potatoes that I damaged while digging them up in the garden . The following year I would have potato plants coming up all over the place , last year there where enough growing in what was sort or a row so I just left them in and got an early crop ( at least for me anyway ) So figured I didn't have anything to loose planting them in fall . Here's some from last year's " left-over" potatoes , Al

Attached Thumbnails

• P7010302.JPG

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 07:04 AM

Always amazed at how many volunteers show up each year. Good idea.

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 08:55 PM

Always amazed at how many volunteers show up each year. Good idea.

yes there are volunteer beans in the tomatoes, where the beans were planted last year. And I found 3 tomatoes in the eaised bed of radishes today. That area wah flat planted in tomatoes last year.

#10 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 11:57 PM

Alc, I planted some plate potatoes last year and they grew well but I did not have as good of a harvest as seed or last years tators. I planted seed potatoes here over a month ago and planted more seeds two to three weeks ago and the last planting is almost as big as the first. I agree that temp has alot to do with it. So far I have not had any problems with any seed tators yet, they have all worked pretty good.
  • Alc said thank you

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 08:39 PM

You might want to dig up some of the ones that didn't come up

Today and went to where there should have been plants growing and found some rotten potatoes :(
I never remembered having that many not grow . I think there's still some old potatoes in the garage that I can plant into those spaces . Thanks all that helped me with this , Al

Edited by Alc, May 23, 2012 - 08:41 PM.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 08:46 PM

Sorry to hear your spuds failed you. Did you get them from a particular seed company?

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted May 23, 2012 - 08:59 PM

Local farm store Alan , maybe I didn't let them " skin" over long enough before I planted them ?

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 24, 2012 - 07:42 PM

I don't know if that would make a difference Al?
I told my dad I always cut them a few days before planting.
He said my grandmother never did that and always grew a bunch of potatoes.
Same day mom was telling me her dad used to grow 3 acres for sale.
  • Alc said thank you

#15 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted May 26, 2012 - 10:14 AM

I never let my potatoes skin over before planting them, often cut them while I'm planting, and I've never had a problem with rot except in really wet or really dry years. Bad conditions can cause them to rot before they grow.

Is it possible they simply didn't get the right conditions to start growing before they rotted, alc?