Lookie What I Got!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Hawkwing OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9761
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 12:26 AM

Ain't it great to have a brother as generous as I have!
Yeah, she's a bit rough around the edges, and needs some TLC, but she's been garaged, and runs purty good; and beats the crap outta the POS mower I've been using.
SO, looks like you folks have another noob ready to drink the koolaid!
Please allow me to preach on it a bit:
1984 JD 316 (in case it ain't obvious) S/N: 291XXX (onan)
I'm the 3rd owner. My brother got tired of paying his stealership to have a goober mess it up. I'll be doing (almost) all my own work.
I'm new to JD's, but have lots of experience keeping an old '64 Ford 2000 (workmaster) running for the last 20 years. I've found that you can't kill it.
She needs some stuff- hour meter, grill, tail light assembly, seat repair, headlight lens, and the regular maintenance items- fluids, filters, etc. Hopefully I'll get some suggestions from y'all on parts and procedures.
I have the original operator's manual, but do need a service manual. (Help!) Want to get started on this project ASAP! (I'm retired)
I've been cruising this site for a few weeks now and have already discovered a wealth of information, and looks like there are plenty of good folks willing to lend a guiding hand and encouragement. Ain't electronic communities great?
Two problems of immediate concern:
1. Engine wants to stall after running 6-7 minutes. It'll only idle, even at full throttle. Any load kills it. After about a minute of this, engine speed recovers, and off we go! Mildly aggravating, and surely fixable. Any ideas?
2. Steering housing tube (the one that goes from the steering wheel to a bracket behind the dash), which houses and provides support to the steering shaft, has broken its weld where it joins a supporting bracket behind the dash (see photo below). This causes the steering shaft to wobble, and I fear that the bearings supporting the shaft in the housing may be damaged. Has anyone had this problem? If so, did you beef up the weld, or add a gusset, etc? What needs to come off to get at the problem? Looks like lots of stuff to me. How to proceed? I assume discontinue use till this is repaired. I can go thru the linkage and make any adjustments needed while doing this- what needs attention while it's apart? So many questions! Hope I haven't scared y'all off yet!

Steering column wobbles against hole in dash:

Closer look at broken weld, just above yellow wires coming from ignition switch:

I hope these pics turn out okay; after all, this is my first post! Hope I'm off on the right foot.
Thanks, Michael

Edited by Hawkwing, May 17, 2012 - 12:31 AM.

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,321 Thanks
  • 4,917 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 03:59 AM

First of all, :welcometogttalk:

Nice snag on the free mower. Hard to beat the price. Sounds like you have a fuel metering problem. High speed jet is plugged would be my first thought. Check and make sure that you have good fuel flow from the tank to the carb. Without actually hearing it run the rest would just be a wild guess.
Good luck with your project.
  • Hawkwing said thank you

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,668 Thanks
  • 28,318 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 04:18 AM

:welcome: to GTTalk
You sure didn't overpay, that's a nice ride you have there.
I second the fuel issue. Try running your fuel system cleaner of choice thru her for a while. Seafoam, gum out, etc.
Change your filter first tho & be prepared to do a carb rebuild if that doesn't do it.
It also could be a spark issue, best buy one of those inline spark checkers to have around.

Good luck.

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,622 Thanks
  • 38,996 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 04:57 AM

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here. Pics look good! Something might be floating around in the fuel tank partially closing off the pickup. Just another option to check for.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 05:11 AM

Welcome to the forum! Nice 316. You should check out JDParts.com and do a model search for your tractor. That will allow you to access the parts diagrams. If you register with a local dealer you can get online pricing and parts ordering as well. I'm don't have much to offer on the engine problem with the Onan. Try checking all the basic stuff. Often the electrical system on these old tractors are full of bad connections. Checking and cleaning all the connectors and verifying that you have a good chassis ground where it's required are a couple of things I'd check out. JD manuals are hard to get as they enforce copyright on 30+ year old information and want you to purchase the manuals from them. Individual members may have info. to help you out so ask if you need any specific information.

#6 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,282 Thanks
  • 6,487 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 05:46 AM

Welcome to GTtalk ,nice tractor and I'm sure you'll get it running correctly . I can't remember how the engine ran but on my 1983 318 the fuel line cracked and was sucking a little air , maybe that would be worth checking , Good Luck !! Al

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 6,332 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 07:58 AM

Welcome. Glad you joined. It's nice to see your good fortune sitting there. Congratulations.

#8 MySlow2002GT OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9802
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 12:17 PM

Where abouts in middle TN are you? I just joined the site and picked up a 318 this week for restoration. Looking forward to your progress!

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hawkwing,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

Nice looking JD.

#10 Gary400 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 04:19 PM

looks like theres a lot of life left in that old deere . check the fuel line my 318 also had a small split and sucked air and ran like what your saying yours is .

#11 JakeKuhn OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Addict

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 9298
  • 183 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted May 17, 2012 - 04:20 PM

That is one nice tractor! Especially for FREE! Jake

#12 Hawkwing OFFLINE  

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 12:26 AM

Thanks to all for the great welcome, and for the suggestions on the cutout/resurge problem. I will likely implement all the aforementioned suggestions- replace fuel line, inspect/clean gas tank, rebuild carb, inspect/clean electrical (esp. grnd/spark) connections, while I have the tractor apart for steering shaft housing weld repair and general cleaning and inspection. Looks like steering linkage will need a little work as well. Have the shop manual CD ordered from ebay; using the onan engine manual from the "manuals" section of this site (THANKS), ordered new cheapo hr. meter to keep up w/that. Got a space in the shop cleaned, organized and tooled up (squirrel metric, dig out SAE) for 316 work. Registered on the JD official site, so I can look at parts diagrams, price and order parts, etc.

Hey Myslow2002GT: I PM'd you with email, phone #. I come thru Baxter about 2-3 times/week. Let's get together & talk GT's!

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 01:10 AM

:wave: Hawkwing! Welcome to GTTalk! It's great to have you here! I'm not familiar with the JD's, but the price can't be beat! Congrats on the acquisition. We're glad that you finally signed up and seem to be making friends already. Hope that you continue to enjoy the site.
:wave: to you too MySlow2002GT! Please stop over to the Member introductions forum and introduce yourself!

#14 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 04:57 AM

Yeah, I don't know, sounds like maybe you got a raw deal. Tell you what I will take it off your hands for the same price you bought it for... :laughingteeth:

#15 Hawkwing OFFLINE  

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 05:23 PM

OK, middleageddeere, you can have it, but you'll have to take my pesky brother with it . . . . he keeps piling stuff on me: '95 Avalon XLS, 2008 Yammie FJR 1300, Sony big screen TV; I'm runnin' outta room! ;)