#1 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted June 30, 2010 - 08:06 AM

Does anybody know the approximate RPM that the drive shaft that runs the tiller for a Massey 12 turns at wide open throttle? I have a 650 tiller with out the driveshaft and am thinking of putting a three point hitch on it and running it off of my 1650 with the 2000 RPM PTO.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 30, 2010 - 10:57 AM

Mike, I may be wrong, as I've never owned one of those tillers, but the belt pulleys...aren't they close to the same size? You can turn the gearbox by hand to find the ratio.

Edited by olcowhand, June 30, 2010 - 11:06 AM.

#3 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 30, 2010 - 07:57 PM

I think the tiller drive shaft is slowed down a bit, the pulley on thew gear box is just a hair bigger, maybe 1/2" and the gear box is not quite 1 to 1 ratio.

#4 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted June 30, 2010 - 08:31 PM

Thanks for the info! The reason I ask is that I don't have any of the driveshaft or gearbox setup for the 650 to be able to figure out how fast it would turn at 3600 engine RPM. If I make the 650 tiller into a cat 0 three point hitch mounted tiller I would have to make the pto shaft also to run it off of the 2000 rpm PTO on my 1650. As the shaft is offset quite a bit on the tiller and the 1650 PTO is centered I was thinking of making a roller chain and sprocket drive to adjust the speed as needed. Another question would be how many RPM a normal tiller turns at the tines and I could figure out the needed driveshaft RPM from that.

#5 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 30, 2010 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for the info! The reason I ask is that I don't have any of the driveshaft or gearbox setup for the 650 to be able to figure out how fast it would turn at 3600 engine RPM. If I make the 650 tiller into a cat 0 three point hitch mounted tiller I would have to make the pto shaft also to run it off of the 2000 rpm PTO on my 1650. As the shaft is offset quite a bit on the tiller and the 1650 PTO is centered I was thinking of making a roller chain and sprocket drive to adjust the speed as needed. Another question would be how many RPM a normal tiller turns at the tines and I could figure out the needed driveshaft RPM from that.

I have an Operators manual that say's tiller tine speed 135RPM

It also say's to run the engine at 3/4 speed, and the tractor ground speed should be 2MPH.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 30, 2010 - 09:43 PM

About the max speed any tiller runs is around 250rpm. On a smaller HP tractor, they will turn slower. With a 1650, I'd speed them up to about 180 at full engine rpm myself.

#7 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 07:49 AM

Thanks guys! That will give me a starting point for the project.